Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
After my install on 20th March, I was really impressed that the Gas meter started giving live readings on the 23rd March (these go back to 21st March). Still awaiting the Electricity smart meter reading to kick in however, this seems strange considering the Gas Meter piggy backs off the electricity meter. Looking at the forums it is generally the Gas meters that take time to start uploading, not the other way around. I gave Octopus a little chase yesterday, received this response.

"We've not had the meter technical details (MTDs) through from the engineers about your new electricity meter. This tells us the new meter serial number and some other information about the meter that we need to display it on your account.

We normally receive the MTDs 14 days after an installation so they should be with us soon."

The must have had the Gas Meter however.

No rush however with the Coronavirus Lockdown. Charging car using my Solar and Zappi Charger. Totally free energy, I am able to put in about 15 Kw a day currently into the car, which easily covers trips to supermarket and occasional essential short trip for work plus running everything else electric for free during the day :)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
242 Posts
I switched to Octopus a couple of weeks ago and, not surprisingly, they've now cancelled any non urgent home visits so there is no prospect of having smart meters fitted any time soon. They did suggest, in the meantime, I switch to their Tracker tariff. I've done that today having been sent historical data for the tariff, this showed it is significantly cheaper than the default 12 month fixed tariff I originally signed up with.

Might be of interest to anyone else in this position...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I switched to Octopus a couple of weeks ago and, not surprisingly, they've now cancelled any non urgent home visits so there is no prospect of having smart meters fitted any time soon. They did suggest, in the meantime, I switch to their Tracker tariff. I've done that today having been sent historical data for the tariff, this showed it is significantly cheaper than the default 12 month fixed tariff I originally signed up with.

Odd they don’t switch Go and Agile new customers directly to the tracker tariff in the beginning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

Yes I am currently on the Tracker also, it was also suggested to me when I raised issue that there standard rate was more expensive than my previous provider. Currently with Lockdown and the sun coming out I am charging my i3!off solar with my Zappi. So I think to be quite honest you may be best on the tracker tariff unless you want to pull some serious energy at night with dish washers, washing machines and perhaps doing all your cooking with an induction hob at 1 am.😀
My smart meter was fitted just before lockdown, but seriously wondering about asking to remain on tracker until I start with my 90 mile daily commute again.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
242 Posts
My smart meter was fitted just before lockdown, but seriously wondering about asking to remain on tracker until I start with my 90 mile daily commute again.
Indeed, since our car is going to be completely idle for the coming weeks but we're still cooking in the peak time the tracker will almost certainly be cheaper than Agile would've been!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
242 Posts
What price is the tracker? Any idea how they calculate it?
The equations are slightly different for each region, they are in the FAQ here. As I understand it they apply an Ofgem standard usage profile to assign your monthly reading to a given day's prices.

These are my prices for today (they are at the low end based on the historical data they sent me:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Laugh is my smart meter has now linked up so at midnight tonight I go onto Octopus Go. From the Tracker, staying on Tracker for Gas but electric will be Go.
So switch date to Octopus was 5th March transfer to Go - 29th March. - Three and a half weeks including meter installation from swit
Will monitor for a week or so, but may switch back to Tracker if Lockdown continues. I am charging the car from Solar currently. Is it easy with Octopus to switch around tariffs?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Is it easy with Octopus to switch around tariffs?
Absolutely. They state in many places on website, it just happens within a day at midnight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone had the meter installed but found it couldn't connect? Particularly interested in solutions you might have had.
Our meter was installed on the 19th March but the technician (from Providence on behalf of Octopus) in attendance could not get the meter commissioned. We live an area with poor reception and we suspected that this might be the cause.

At least two 'transmitters' were tried with no luck and the technician said there was one more 'transmitter' with an aerial that would have to be tried to overcome the poor signal but they did not carry these in the vans and so a new date would need to be arranged (I was told that this proposed transmitter requires a supervisor authorisation to fit). Failiing this, he suggested that I would have to get a SMETS1 meter install and that this would only be 'smart' as long as I was with Octopus but would become 'dumb' if I switched to another supplier (which I knew already but desperately hoped that I could avoid this situation)

My follow date was 29th March but due to Covid-19 it got cancelled a few days ago (until this get back to normal). However I got a call today from Octopus to say they had managed to commission the meter! Indeed, I went to have a look and I could see that it had come alive (it had data about my tariff etc.) Now, I'm waiting for all the rest of it to happen so that I can switch from the interim 14.3p/kWh tariff I've been on since I made the switch to Octopus on 4th Feb.

Coming back to your question about solutions (as far as I'm aware from my experience):
  1. Request the 'transmitter' part of the meter to be changed until they exhausted the options (at least 3)
  2. Request Octopus to at least 'try' commission the unit remotely (I appreciate it is very difficult to ask someone to try something if you don't really know what it is that they could do different - but this seems to be what has happened in my case)
  3. Switch to a SMETS1 meter which would do the job (but if ever you wanted to switch away from Octopus you'd lose smart function and potentially have to go through all this again with a different company)

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
78 Posts

Thanks for the heads up I'll phone them now.

My timeline so far is
signed up 16 Dec 19
switched 1 Jan 20
SMS meter install 9 March (delayed due to mains supply cut out being too old and needing updating)
Northern Power Grid survey 16 March
Northern Power Grid new cut out install booked 6 April (almost certainly now delayed)

·
Registered
90 Posts
For those that have been with agile for a while now, are you getting monthly, or any billing?

My timeline:
15th Feb - Switched (w/ existing SMETS2)
17th Feb - 1/2 hour elec readings showing on acct
18th Feb - Switched to Go
6th Mar - Switched to Agile

Not had a single bill throughout any of that - despite providing readings (my Gas readings is not getting to Octopus yet)

I’ve contacted them but they seem to be rather slow at replying...

121 - 133 of 133 Posts