Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, with the lockdown now being eased, grateful if anyone getting an Octopus smart meter installed from now onwards can post on here.

I want to know when installations start up again.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As reported elsewhere on this forum, my 'smart' meter was installed on Monday and I'm now on Agile.

Mine could be something of a special case in that meter box is outside the house (indeed 20 metres away) and having no gas in the house and all water pipes are plastic there is no 'Earth bonding' on the premises that might have required a meter technician to enter the house to inspect.

But on that other thread, another member has reported that they still won't install his because it would be necessary to enter house to "sync equipment" (whatever they mean by that ! It's not an operation I recognise and doubt that whoever claimed it would be necessary understood the concept either).

Anyone more suspicious than me might assume that there's a financial advantage to keeping new customers on a 'temporary' tariff as long as possible ! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
@Tall Phil I sent an email to Octopus earlier this week and they told me they're still following government advice and only carrying out works deemed essential (ie emergencies).
I had that one too - but pointed out that was government advice in March; current advice is that if you can do your job whilst observing social distancing then it's permissible to do so. Hard to believe that all their meter technicians are 80+ or with medical conditions that make them especially susceptible !

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Tradesmen are only allowed in your house to correct an emergency - for example you cannot have an interior decorator working indoors at the moment. However, if you have an external meter cupboard ........

·
Registered
468 Posts
As reported elsewhere on this forum, my 'smart' meter was installed on Monday and I'm now on Agile.

Mine could be something of a special case in that meter box is outside the house (indeed 20 metres away) and having no gas in the house and all water pipes are plastic there is no 'Earth bonding' on the premises that might have required a meter technician to enter the house to inspect.

But on that other thread, another member has reported that they still won't install his because it would be necessary to enter house to "sync equipment" (whatever they mean by that ! It's not an operation I recognise and doubt that whoever claimed it would be necessary understood the concept either).

Anyone more suspicious than me might assume that there's a financial advantage to keeping new customers on a 'temporary' tariff as long as possible ! :unsure:
"syncing equipment" probably just means turning on the smart meter display (IHD) and making sure it works inside the house. There is nothing else to be done.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
"syncing equipment" probably just means turning on the smart meter display (IHD) and making sure it works inside the house. There is nothing else to be done.
Rather what I thought. I provided an extension cable from the study window for just that purpose.

·
Registered
2020 - Audi Etron 50 Sport on order
33 Posts
I've just contacted Octopus via Facebook Messenger to enquire about timescales and dates for a smart meter installation. I joined them on 10 July. I was keen to get the meter as soon as possible to switch to their Agile tariff, as the EV arrives on Monday.

They replied with a link, offering various dates for installation. The first being 1 September, which I've chosen.

I wanted to give a heads up for anyone else waiting for a meter to use the Agile or Go tariffs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts