Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally heard from Octopus to get my smartmeter (SMETS2) installed, which I need in order receive the Octopus Outgoing export tariff, it will be done on the 19th August - I live near Cambridge, and they seem to schedule them by area.

Apparently, Octopus discovered why they had so many problems deploying meters - the final batch testing in the factory was breaking them!
https://octopus.energy/blog/unblocking-second-generation-smart-meters/

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I finally heard from Octopus to get my smartmeter (SMETS2) installed, which I need in order receive the Octopus Outgoing export tariff, it will be done on the 19th August - I live near Cambridge, and they seem to schedule them by area.

Apparently, Octopus discovered why they had so many problems deploying meters - the final batch testing in the factory was breaking them!
https://octopus.energy/blog/unblocking-second-generation-smart-meters/
Did you get your meter install on time?

My current tariff has changed entirely and switching to Go will be better for us. I have a SMETTS1 Secure meter so I should be able to switch fairly quickly but just in case it doesn't work I'm wondering how long it could take?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had interesting problems with my meter install. They installed the meters on the day in question, but then had to remove the gas meter as there was some problem about who really owned it. Then they came back a few weeks later and refitted the gas meter.

I had two big problems and some minor ones...
1. The new electricity meter changed the nature of my grid connection and my PV system was able to export at at much higher power, and this tripped an RCBO in the PV system. It took about 12 days to get this sorted.

2. When the gas was turned off to fit the gas meter, naturally the pilot flame in our boiler went out. Unfortunately the igniter had died and we couldn't relight. The boiler was deemed expensive to repair and inefficient, so we ended up spending £4500 on a new heating system - the 50 year old water tank had no proper insulation and the heat exchanger would have been furred up. We had to run our hot water off the immersion heater for about three weeks, which of course was expensive, so probably wiped out any possible export income for a year!

3. when they fitted the gas meter, the in home display stopped working. it took about 12 days to get it back online

4. the octopus API didn't work for gas measurements until I asked support

5. I'm still not seeing any export payments for electricity in my dashboard. I've just nudged them to ask when that will happen.

Overall then, going "smart" to be able to get my export payments led to a couple of months of disruption.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who authorised the £4500 spend on a new boiler. You should have told them to s#d off.
LOL. I did. Our heating and his water bill were always terrible, I hope the new boiler will somewhat pay back the costs over the ten to twelve years life.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This sounds like a very expensive smart meter install
Very much so. But I had been putting off replacing the heating system for at least three years, so it just happened sooner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts