Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full FAQ's

What is the Tesla Energy Plan?
The Tesla Energy Plan is an Energy Tariff specifically designed for Tesla vehicle owners with solar panels and Powerwall.

It offers customers 100% clean electricity and savings of up to 75% compared to Big 6 tariffs*. This is achieved through the lowest flat electricity tariffs in the UK combined with smart management of your home’s energy and electric vehicle (EV) charging. Your solar system, Powerwall and EV charging are connected to Tesla’s proprietary platform, optimising your energy costs and allowing energy stored by your system to be exported back to the grid to benefit both you and the community.

The plan is administered by Tesla’s authorised retail partner, Octopus Energy.

What are the details of the tariff?
Tesla Energy Plan is a simple, transparent tariff with the best rates available on the market

• No daily standing charge on your bill.
  • Flat import rate of £0.08/kWh - the lowest flat tariff available in the market (as of September 2019).
  • Flat export rate of £0.08/kWh for any electricity you export
3. ELIGIBILITY
Am I eligible for this new offer?
You are eligible if you have:

• A Tesla vehicle
  • Electric Vehicle Charger installed at your home (or off-street parking suitable for installation of one)
  • Solar panels and Powerwall (Or a home suitable for this)
Will I lose my feed-in tariff (FiT) on my existing solar system?
Under FiT guidelines, you get paid for being a generator, and paid for whatever you export. If you move to the Tesla Energy Plan, you will still be able to receive your generation payments (the larger component of the FiT, linked to all kWh generated by your solar).

You will no longer be eligible to receive your FiT “deemed export” payments (50% of energy generated). Instead, you will receive 8p/kWh for every kWh actually exported. (Note that you will be required to opt out of your deemed export payments from your existing FiT supplier, but there´s no requirement to switch your FiT contract to Octopus).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Ah cheers. My father in law with Model S, solar and a powerwall is just looking for a good energy deal....

Will have to dig into the numbers to see how this compares with what he currently has.

·
Registered
765 Posts
This looks very interesting....

I happen to fit into this (rather niche) demographic and am currently on GreenEnergy's TIDE tariff - and time shift 93% of grid consumption to the low-tide tariff of 7.53p (+5% VAT). Although that does come with a 28.29p pd (+5% VAT) standing charge.

In addition, we have generated 3202kWh of PV so far this year, of which 45.5% was used directly, 50.5% was captured by the Powerwall for later use, and only 4% (i.e. around 128kWh) was exported.

Setting aside the moral question of receiving payment for deemed export that doesn't happen, the export payment of 5.38p / kWh, which is paid on 1601kWh (i.e. half of generation) has learnt us £86 so far this year.

So given that the cost of electricity is essentially the same and cancels out, my current deal consist of £86 income minus 28.29p [daily charge] times the number of days in the year so far (329 as of today). That makes:
86 - (0.2829*329) = minus £7

On the Octopus scheme I would be paid 8p / kWh for 128kWh actually exported = £10.24, and no standing charge.

So all in all I would have been about £17 better of so far this year on the Octopus scheme. Indeed, this positive balance will get bigger over the rest of the year as the Tide standing charge will keep adding up. Assuming historic PV production for Dec of around 100kWh (i.e. 50kWh deemed export), I will be about £25 down on the year by staying on Tide v switching to this Octopus tariff.

In addition, 7% of our grid consumption is outside the low-tide window and so costs a lot more than the all day rate from Octopus. So this would save a bit more...

The real question is however, whether allowing Octopus/Tesla to take control of my Powerwall and car charging would compromise the amount of power I can harvest / time shift myself - and if this would then increase the amount of electricity I have to draw from the grid. I am also slightly hobbled by a 16a car charger box - so often need to charge throughout the entirety of the 7h overnight cheap rate 'low-tide' window. Although this would be less of an issue if 8p / kWh were available at any time I would still want to be charging the car (and the PW) at a time when electricity is at its least carbon intensive.

Overall this is a very interesting product and one that may well save a little money AND provide some environmental benefit above and beyond what we are currently managing by ourselves. But I can't imagine they'll have many customers given the demographic they require !

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This looks very interesting....

I happen to fit into this (rather niche) demographic and am currently on GreenEnergy's TIDE tariff - and time shift essentially our entire grid consumption to the low-tide tariff of 7.53p (+5% VAT). Although that does come with a 28.29p pd (+5% VAT) standing charge.

In addition, we have generated 3202kWh of PV so far this year, of which 45.5% was used directly, 50.5% was captured by the Powerwall for later use, and only 4% (i.e. around 128kWh) was exported.

Setting aside the moral question of receiving payment for deemed export that doesn't happen, the export payment of 5.38p / kWh, which is paid on 1601kWh (i.e. half of generation) has learnt us £86 so far this year.

So given that the cost of electricity is essentially the same and cancels out, my current deal consist of £86 income minus 28.29p [daily charge] times the number of days in the year so far (329 as of today). That makes:
86 - (0.2829*329) = minus £7

On the Octopus scheme I would be paid 8p / kWh for 128kWh actually exported = £10.24, and no standing charge.

So all in all I would have been about £17 better of so far this year on the Octopus scheme. Indeed, this positive balance will get bigger over the rest of the year as the Tide standing charge will keep adding up. Assuming historic PV production for Dec of around 100kWh (i.e. 50kWh deemed export), I will be about £25 down on the year by staying on Tide v switching to this Octopus tariff.

In addition, a small proportion of our grid consumption is outside the low-tide window and so costs a lot more than the all day rate from Octopus. So this would save a bit more...

The real question is however, whether allowing Octopus to take control of my Powerwall (and car charging ?) would compromise the amount of power I can harvest / time shift myself - and if this would then increase the amount of electricity I have to draw from the grid. I am also slightly hobbled by a 16a car charger box - so often need to charge throughout the entirety of the 7h overnight cheap rate 'low-tide' window. Although this would be less of an issue if 8p / kWh were available at any time I would still want to be charging the car (and the PW) at a time when electricity is at its least carbon intensive.

Overall this is a very interesting product and one that may well save a little money AND provide some environmental benefit above and beyond what we are currently managing by ourselves. But I can't imagine they'll have many customers given the demographic they require !
You can also factor in the £50 credit (framed as 2,000 free Tesla miles) plus presumably a £50 credit for using a referral fee.

Here is mine in case you need one ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sadly, I just called them and its not yet available in my area. Have pinged off an Email to ask if I can join as an 'early adopter' or test account.... you never know.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sadly, I just called them and its not yet available in my area. Have pinged off an Email to ask if I can join as an 'early adopter' or test account.... you never know.
Did they say where they do cover?

Sheffield (?) is hardly a remote part of the country!

·
Registered
233 Posts
This looks really interesting. Finally a clear package

I have emailed them to check if they cover our postcode area. I suspect it will be based on their assessment of your home's local grid/distribution.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Did they say where they do cover?

Sheffield (?) is hardly a remote part of the country!
No, I asked, but was only told that they don’t cover me. I subsequently found a page on the Octopus website that will ask a number of questions including post code and then let you know if your covered. So maybe playing with that would provide some insight...

I did get a response back from the Tesla contact email address and they said that they didn’t have a ‘public facing’ timetable for the roll out. Probably for the best given the dilated nature of ‘Tesla time’.

I suggested that since they know where I live, and also know that I have one of their cars and a PW then maybe they should be contacting potential customers directly once their area is active...

·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it Tesla or Octopus saying they don't cover that area?

The Tesla tariff shows for my (Yorkshire) postcode on the Octopus site. I've not tested any other postcodes.

·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The Tesla page on the Octopus site doesn't seem to fully work yet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Both the website and Tesla themselves told me I wasn’t covered.

But I’ve just tried 6 different postcodes around the country and apparently NONE of them are in areas covered by this tariff.

@phproxy where abouts are you located ?

·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both the website and Tesla themselves told me I wasn’t covered.

But I’ve just tried 6 different postcodes around the country and apparently NONE of them are in areas covered by this tariff.

@phproxy where abouts are you located ?
Now the Octopus Tesla page works, it tells me it isn't available..I saw it listed on the tariff page for my postcode, so assumed it was..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rather than introducing another tariff shouldn't Octopus be concentrating there efforts on delivering what they already claim to be capable of doing? I'm still waiting for a smart meter install well over 2 months since I was hoping to get on the go tariff and I can see numerous other people are struggling with Octopus!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got an email reply back to enter my details on web page:

Went through the quote - all looks good. Then entered my email contact details and someone will get back to me.

·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rather than introducing another tariff shouldn't Octopus be concentrating there efforts on delivering what they already claim to be capable of doing? I'm still waiting for a smart meter install well over 2 months since I was hoping to get on the go tariff and I can see numerous other people are struggling with Octopus!
I don't think creating new tariff's means they're not doing everything they can to get new meters installed & working.

I got an email reply back to enter my details on web page:

Went through the quote - all looks good. Then entered my email contact details and someone will get back to me.
Ooo where abouts roughly are you based? I guess it's just 1 or 2 DNO's signed up so far..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ooo where abouts roughly are you based? I guess it's just 1 or 2 DNO's signed up so far..
South East London, within the south circular road

House is south facing on the garden side. Maybe they check that too to estimate solar generation ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Someone from Tesla called after my online enquiry.

All looks good just need to have a Tesla vehicle first! They won't even proceed with a site survey until I can provide a VIN.

Estimated cost was about £15k all-in for solar panels, battery, EVSE, installation, etc.
We are very interested, but will not rush it as energy plans like this are only going to increase over time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts