Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now moved to Octopus Tracker tariff as my smart meter installation has been postponed. I think that this is by far the cheapest tariff for both gas and electricity of any supplier at the moment for those who cannot access the Octopus Agile tariff. If you know of any cheaper tariff for gas or for electricity without a smart meter do let me know.

I have worked out how to get the live prices from Octopus for Octopus Tracker Tariff to display with your own average daily energy usage for electric or gas in kWh .

Octopus Tracker

Enter your own electricity and gas average per day in kWh. Submit to update the links, then click on the links to see the results on Octopus website.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Great thanks. Why do they even bother having a standard tariff and a tracker tariff or is the tracker tariff a bit of a secret. Is there any commitment timewise from them or could they just change/remove you tomorrow.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the tracker tariff is partly a development project, intended for use with the smart meter with daily readings. Octopus say that you can switch yourself at one day notice, but I guess this is a tariff that they will promote more in the future. So a bit of a secret for now. But a big cost saving for those who know.😀

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Peter I was with Energie and Octopus have taken them over but I've stayed on my fixed tariff. I wondered about changing to the Octopus Go tariff as the charge is only 5p low after 12pm to 4am, but my new MG ev doesn't have a timer.
I think my rate is 13p kWh at the moment. How much is the tracker rate. Thanks

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Energy Stats UK website is a good resource for the very interesting time of use Octopus tariffs: Home - Energy Stats UK
It includes historical prices going back to when the started which is really good for running simulations against your previous usage (if you have the stats).
I've 9 months data so far, but so far the Agile tariff looks to have a lot of potential.
I'm trying to justify a home battery but I need at maximum 10 year ROI before I'll consider one.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Peter I was with Energie and Octopus have taken them over but I've stayed on my fixed tariff. I wondered about changing to the Octopus Go tariff as the charge is only 5p low after 12pm to 4am, but my new MG ev doesn't have a timer.
Electric Rate today is 11.7p / kWh plus standing charge of 18.49p per day.
Gas rate is 1.87p/kWh plus standing charge of 15.09p per day

Highest rate for electricity in the past 12 months was a year ago at 14.05p/kWh, but it has dropped fairly steadily since then

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the tracker tariff is partly a development project, intended for use with the smart meter with daily readings. Octopus say that you can switch yourself at one day notice, but I guess this is a tariff that they will promote more in the future. So a bit of a secret for now. But a big cost saving for those who know.😀
The tracker tariff does NOT need or use a smart meter I think it pre-dated widespread roll-out - my dialy smart reading are ignored and replaced with a monthly standard profile. I think it was more an experiment as an alternative to a fixed tariff which had additional costs to the supplier and therefore to the consumer.

With the current pricing more than happy than I am on it, but needs the customer to understand how it works.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dave

Do you have a Granny cable for the MG? I charge my Leaf using GO via a normal 3 pin plug in the garage. If you have a Granny then you could connect it to a 3 pin outlet which has either a Hive Smart plug or other similar. A decent Smart plug can be had for between £10 and £20 Then you can charge during the GO period. Its what I do in the Winter months - in the Summer I charge from my solar panels

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tracker tariff does NOT need or use a smart meter I think it pre-dated widespread roll-out - my dialy smart reading are ignored and replaced with a monthly standard profile. I think it was more an experiment as an alternative to a fixed tariff which had additional costs to the supplier and therefore to the consumer.

With the current pricing more than happy than I am on it, but needs the customer to understand how it works.
As I said, I am using Tracker without a smart meter, however from the information on the Octopus website it does appear that the intention is to use it with a smart meter

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,916 Posts
"I understand this tariff requires the submission of monthly meter readings, and may require the future installation of a smart meter. I understand Octopus Energy reserve the right to switch me to another tariff if I am unable or unwilling to comply with this requirement."

They're working on getting the data to show on the API, little bug stopping it apparently..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Did you have to ring them to join? I can't seem to change to tracker on the website it just sends me around in circles. I'm currently on the standard tariff.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
178 Posts
BTW Thank you Peter for the heads up on changing tariff, I've saved quite a bit so far over the last few months.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Anyone managed to get on Tracker when they have an Economy seven meter? They've just told me they won't do it for an economy seven meter. I don't get why, as the economy 7 meter shows total night and day. My previous suppliers used to total the amount anyway.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
You can be on different tarrifs for different fuels. I'm currently on Agile for 'leccy and Tracker for Gas, previously on Go and Fixed respectively. If you can't shift usage then Tracker is excellent.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anyone got info on the gas prices from Octopus Tracker tariff from last winter? Trying to decide whether to change from the go tariff.
I only switched in January the first bill was 2.2p inc VAT, the price has come down since then and my weighted average for the last 6 months is 1.97p inc VAT.

Considering that the cheapest alternative I can currently switch to is 2.26p I am happy with tracker.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I only switched in January the first bill was 2.2p inc VAT, the price has come down since then and my weighted average for the last 6 months is 1.97p inc VAT.

Considering that the cheapest alternative I can currently switch to is 2.26p I am happy with tracker.
Thank you. I rarely use gas during the summer months and don’t want to pay more than my current tariff in the winter!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts