Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I entered new property details into Octopus for a quote and was surprised that the cheapest tariff shown at the top of the screen under "Your Tariff" was for tracker - it is cheaper than Flexible or Fixed. Also a savings figure which they give as about 25% less than the average big 6 variable tariff for my usage.

Forecast rate was 13.1 p for Electricity, and 2.66p for Gas.

It does say "Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price." but I suspect they may get calls from upset customers after they get their bills if there is a price surge, especially those who did not read or understand the information and just clicked on what they thought was the cheapest quote.

I would have gone onto tracker anyway, whilst waiting for smart meters for GO.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
There is a big difference between the forecast prices and recent actual unit prices. For example, Tracker gas for me today is 3.402p/kWh and electricity is 17.402p/kWh. I wouldn’t be choosing Tracker at the moment for either gas or electricity. I confess that I have never understood how Octopus comes up with its forecast. That said, I was on gas Tracker last year when the unit price was about 50% of what it is today.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a big difference between the forecast prices and recent actual unit prices. For example, Tracker gas for me today is 3.402p/kWh and electricity is 17.402p/kWh. I wouldn’t be choosing Tracker at the moment for either gas or electricity. I confess that I have never understood how Octopus comes up with its forecast. That said, I was on gas Tracker last year when the unit price was about 50% of what it is today.
I Agree - in June last year I had 11p elec, 1.68 gas including VAT, Jan this year was 19.8 and 3.5

I moved out of my last property in February and am surprised that the current tracker rates are still high - with that gas price you quote I may as well go for flex which matches my best gas only with Zog that I have used before.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I Agree - in June last year I had 11p elec, 1.68 gas including VAT, Jan this year was 19.8 and 3.5

I moved out of my last property in February and am surprised that the current tracker rates are still high - with that gas price you quote I may as well go for flex which matches my best gas only with Zog that I have used before.
Recent Tracker Gas prices by region:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts