Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that octopus tracker seems to be the default choice for those waiting for a smart meter install.
the faq (which may be out of date) states the cost is averaged over a month. based on manual meter reads..

If one already has a smets2 meter - will the tracker tarriff update from the meter? - and would that be daily?
(reason I’m asking is this tarriff is also coming out cheaper for a family member who is a relativey low energy user, and coming to the end of their fix with British Gas - a smart meter was installed less than a year ago so am assuming it’s smets2)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
Yes. As soon as Octopus onboard your SMETS2 meter they will go to the more accurate charging reflecting actual usage between each rate change. Until then, as you say, your usage over a period will be applied to the different rates based upon an "average" usage pattern.
My personal issue is getting a smart gas meter fitted, 18 months and still waiting....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm on Tracker at the moment and awaiting the installation of smart meter, my understanding was that the Tracker Tariff uses the averages over the month as mine has for nearly 12 months and does not link to the smart meter, as I don't think its classed by Octopus as a smart tariff, otherwise it would need a smart meter to use it?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
It can be run smart or dumb apparently.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was on tracker on a SMETS1 smart meter. Octopus used the smart meter provided reading for the start and end of the month, then profiled it over the month and applied the daily rate. So the billing ignored the daily smart usage that I could see on the dashboard ( In fact I could see the 1/2 hour usage ).

So I think that Tracker is a dumb tariff, which can use monthly smart meter readings.

To the original OP, one 'risk' with tracker is that it is a tracker! 13th Jan was 31p/kwh+VAT, although my 12 month average was closer to 12p. But you don't know what it is likely to be in the next 12 month.

Reactions: Neo_VR

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course being a tracker is a risk.. but ill keep an eye on it.
at the moment usage is barely around 200kw a month for electricitym gas is looking like less than 6k a year too. So the lower standing charge is quite a big factor too..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts