Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That money was just resting in my account!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm on the Go tariff at the moment.

I suspect I could save some money moving to Agile. I'd like to compare the costs of Go vs Agile for the last month, based on my actual usage data.

All the data is there behind their API, and it would be a simple but tedious job to code it up. So I wonder if anybody else has already done this, because I'm lazy.

Cheers

·
jim5452
465 Posts

If you use this website you will find out if it would have been better for you to have been on Go or AGILE for the time you have been with OCTOPUS ENERGY
To get you information you need to go into your account and get API and transfer on to this form

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you use this website you will find out if it would have been better for you to have been on Go or AGILE for the time you have been with OCTOPUS ENERGY
To get you information you need to go into your account and get API and transfer on to this form
That's great, don't suppose the source is available?

I'd like to do some other stuff, e.g. work out the effect of charging at different times etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Having been an Octopus customer for over 2 years on Go; Go Faster and Agile, the OP's question is not answered by a simple usage for usage comparison. For example, On Agile, one has to look at reducing usage during the peak period 4 to 7 (and sometimes 8) pm. This isn't necessary on Go or Go Faster. Similarly, if on Go, Go Faster then one has to determine how much consumption can be pushed into the off peak period. Many people, for example, do not like having a tumble dryer on overnight.

FWiW, based on my consumption and region, Agile was much cheaper than Go during the summer months but has become more expensive over the past couple of months. The difference for me (on Go) compared to Agile is a saving of c1p/kWh.

·
jim5452
465 Posts
My problem when I was on GO I could not use enough energy between 0.30 to 4.30 to ofset the almost 14ppkwh, where as I find it no problem to avoid 16.00 to 19.00 and after that most daytime tariff is less than 14ppkwh
A few time switches and now the Zappi is AGILE friendly in the last 3 weeks I have only had 1 day when it would have been better to be on GO, but only 40p, I expect if you are able to get on GO FASTER and get more suitable timing things may have been different

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My problem when I was on GO I could not use enough energy between 0.30 to 4.30 to ofset the almost 14ppkwh, where as I find it no problem to avoid 16.00 to 19.00 and after that most daytime tariff is less than 14ppkwh
A few time switches and now the Zappi is AGILE friendly in the last 3 weeks I have only had 1 day when it would have been better to be on GO, but only 40p, I expect if you are able to get on GO FASTER and get more suitable timing things may have been different
Yeah, I'm working at home since March so no longer use enough at the cheap times on the Go tariff. On Agile, my problem is cooking chicken nuggets and fish fingers at the peak times.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
For spreadsheet aficionados, I can recommend this file :-
which was published on the Octopus users' forum. If not already a member of that forum, it's well worth joining as there's a lot of related discussion there.

One quick caveat though : just seeing what your Agile bill might have been on a particular day doesn't give the whole picture. To get full benefit from the tariff you need to be able to move high-load items to a different time or of course your present tariff might already have you demand shifting according to different rules.

·
jim5452
465 Posts
Is the Octopus user's forum the AGILE one or is there another one, If it is the AGILE one you have to have an invite, if you are on AGILE and have not recieved an invite, then you have to ask
I just tried to open this on my MACBOOK PRO and it crashed so presumably this is a WINDOWS program

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Is the Octopus user's forum the AGILE one or is there another one, If it is the AGILE one you have to have an invite, if you are on AGILE and have not recieved an invite, then you have to ask
I just tried to open this on my MACBOOK PRO and it crashed so presumably this is a WINDOWS program
Sounds like the correct forum (Octopus Smart Energy forum)

I wanted & got a Windows version. Not sure if there's a Mac version available - but don't Macs have a Windows emulator available ?

I was indeed offered forum membership; not sure what the procedure for requesting it is but an email to [email protected] would probably get you sorted. Once joined you'd be able to ask if there are other versions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was on Agile until mid Sept when I moved to Go faster - 0230 to 0630

My last full months bill for Agile was an average of 9.49p per kw. Earlier this week I has a bill for the last 6 weeks on Go faster. Average price 9.5p per kw.

I would happily pay up to and extra (average) 1 p per kw to have Go faster rather than Agile simply because it makes life so much simpler, with no need to have a constant, daily, assessment of when should I use my power to get the cheapest useage cost.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Tekna
7 Posts
If you just want to play in spreadsheets with your data, you can get your Octopus historical usage plus agile pricing for your region in csv format via Guy Lipman's "Smart Meter Reports" site which is described here Accessing your Octopus smart meter data.
Hi folks

I just wanted to let everyone know that Guy Lipman has also written this blog where he explains how anyone can obtain their half-hourly SMETS data without having to be an Octopus customer. I was successful at obtaining 13 months of my (non-Octopus) HH data through the n3rgy website and by using Guy's tool. I did have to exchange emails with n3rgy as it seems that sometimes SMETS2 meters fail to properly send through historical data, but the n3rgy folks have developed a tool that encourages the meter to resend your historical data so if you're patient, you can eventually get it all.

Hope some people might find it helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts