Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm moving in a weeks time and own a bmw 225xe phev.
I'd like to get installed a tethered smart charger as sick of plugging in and unplugging the charger.
I know it's only a short range phev but charging overnight cheap rate seems sensible on the go tariff with a smart charge point.
I quite like the eo mini pro2 and it'll provide future proofing should I buy a ev.
Sensible plan or better options?
Any deals or referrals on with octopus?
Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'd like to get installed a tethered smart charger as sick of plugging in and unplugging the charger.
I know it's only a short range phev but charging overnight cheap rate seems sensible on the go tariff with a smart charge point.
I quite like the eo mini pro2 and it'll provide future proofing should I buy a ev.
Thx in advance.
Hi.

Sounds sensible and exactly what I've done. You can use my Octopus referral code below to get £50 credit added to you account.

Enjoy!

Oh, forgot to add you can buy an OHME charging cable for £199 rather than £400 once you are setup on Octopus.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If relevant, does your employer do any EV charger deals? Mine does on the EO Mini Pro for a very good price. Sadly I already have more chargers and cables than I know what to do with, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If relevant, does your employer do any EV charger deals? Mine does on the EO Mini Pro for a very good price. Sadly I already have more chargers and cables than I know what to do with, lol.
No I'm a contractor so no benefits here 😏

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
194 Posts
Thx in advance.
For the small amount of electric your Phev will take (maybe 7kWh Max if you charge it every single night from empty?), Octopus Go may not be the best option as you pay a higher unit rate outside of the 4 hour offpeak than many other electric providers.eg in my area Octopus is over 14p per kWh, whereas I can get rates around 11.5p on a standard 24/7 tariff.
Break even point on these sort of offpeak/economy7 tariffs is around about 40-60%, ie if you can't shift 40-60% of your usage to off peak then they aren't good value in my experience.
That said however the referral bonus and the opportunity to get the Ohme charger for £199 may be enough to make a better case for it.

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
27 Posts
If you do decide to go with Octopus, they do a deal for the EO Mini Pro 2, too...see Electric Car Charging | Octopus Electric Vehicles for details. That worked out cheaper for me than other installers/suppliers.

And while there may well be cheaper electricity suppliers around, Octopus have a very good reputation for customer service and for providing sustainable sources of power if that's important to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts