Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Octopus Energy seem to be one of the energy providers that are being really innovative.
They've already got Octopus GO and Octpus Agile tariffs which can both work well fpr EV drivers.

Well they ae now looking at trialing V2G (Vehicle 2 Grid). I know there was another initiative somewhere in midlands between another consortium.

This one with Octopus includes the lease of a Nissan Leaf. You can register interest here but it appears at the moment the focus is towards the South East of the country.

Powerloop | Octopus Energy

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody signed up to this that lives in the catchment area?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've signed up. They are just gauging interest right now.
taa, keep us updated if you can - although I expect it to be a few months before you hear anything again

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder what it is about the Leaf battery (or could it be Nissan willing to take the risk) that makes them suitable or at least the only one that will keep warranty intact.
and it's not just this new Leaf either. There was a consortium somewhere in midlands that did the same, again with the old Leaf.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for a discounted lease available next march when my current PCP is up.

If it's just standard lease rates and the only benefit a possible 30 quid rebate on my electric bill I'll have to pass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This endeavour is part of Enel and Nissan’s commitment to support the entire EV ecosystem, going beyond the car itself and delivering new services to the energy industry. Moreover, there will be an increasing number of EVs on the roads across Europe in the future and it is vital that V2G technology is rolled out to ensure the grid can satisfy the demands made upon it for increased energy. Bluestacks TextNow VPN

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for a discounted lease available next march when my current PCP is up.

If it's just standard lease rates and the only benefit a possible 30 quid rebate on my electric bill I'll have to pass.
I've just had a look at it & as I understand it, it looks like they're asking for people who already have a leaf on lease & they will pay £30 a month towards your monthly lease costs whatever they may be... I don't think they are going to lease the leafs directly..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe OVO V2G offer is nationwide if you're an OVO customer with a Nissan leaf.
The OVO deal excludes some areas as well:

From OVO forum: “Location: Unfortunately, in the initial phase of the trial we will not be able to install a charger in Scotland or non-mainland UK. Also, initially we will not be able to support homes where electricity is supplied by Electricity North West.”

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've just had a look at it & as I understand it, it looks like they're asking for people who already have a leaf on lease & they will pay £30 a month towards your monthly lease costs whatever they may be... I don't think they are going to lease the leafs directly..
Details are a bit thin at the moment. From how I've read it they will sort out the lease for you. And if they are leasing say 50 Leafs then they may be some discount passed on to the customer, hopefully.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's a shame they haven't made things clearer so people know exactly what they will get from this deal they're proposing.. A few different interpretations seem to be suggested o_O but I'm glad that an energy company is trying to premote the EV as more than just something to get us from A to B.. Will be interesting to see if all utility companies follow :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,380 Posts
Can I play the grouch on this particular occasion ( :sneaky::D ) and suggest that perhaps the reason for vagueness is that they could not hope to make this fly commercially speaking and need to get a Gov grant to do this (who seem very keen on V2G, for reasons I don't fully understand) so they have to have a confirmed list of potential participants before they apply and cream off money to support it?

Not that any of that is 'bad' in itself, but I think it is misplaced public money if it is not going to lead to a 'genuine thing'.

"Will V2G affect my warranty?: We’ll be working very closely with Nissan to make sure we don’t exceed any of their warranty limits. Based on similar projects involving Nissan, the maximum value is likely to be somewhere in the region of 16.2 kW a day, five days of the week."

"kW", eh? As folks here like to say ... I am supposed to know what that means in context. That could mean 170kWh per day, 850kWh per week, the equivalent of 20 full charges, or 1000 full charges per year for a battery technology suited to 2000 full cycles in its lifetime. Or does that mean 16kWh per day, so 150 charges a year so that your 2000 cycle lifetime neatly coincides with the end of the warranty on the car and so the V2G cycling can be tuned to cause your battery to expire just at the right time and you go buy another car, or the second owner ends up with a brick after a couple of years.

... Colour me cynical .... I don't see the future of it.

... Brought to you by the company that promised to replace Leaf batteries for £5k, then forgot they had promised that, then put the price up to £8k after 3 years because battery costs have, supposedly, increased.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I think they mean draw down noore that. 16kwh from the battery in a day or a total input/output from the pack of 16kwh. This would likely be to keep the pack from over heating(!) And to keep it within the duty cycle limits of the pack

1 - 20 of 43 Posts