Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

Picked up my ‘18 GTE today and I’m excited to spend less time at the petrol station 😁

I’m keen to enable the service for pre-heat etc. I see it’s £55 / year which is fine….it’s telling me that I need an OCU in order to connect to the internet. Happy to go down that route if it needs / can be retrofitted.
My question for you guys is: am I able to just use the house WiFi to communicate with the car for pre-heating (I’m probably only ever going to need that function in the mornings before my commute)

Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

I did a quick forum search for OCU, but mainly it’s for a recall
Font Number Parallel Screenshot Document
Font Number Parallel Screenshot Document

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As above you can program it in the car via 'eManager' in the infotainment unit.

If you want to connect remotely (using the WeConnect app) the car has a built in 4G SIM card. Far as I know this is the only method - the car cannot connect via your WiFi.

I thought early GTEs did not have the required hardware, but other than that all GTEs had the hardware and you just needed to pay the annual fee. Not sure what the OCU is, sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be able to program it directly in the car for regular times. Unless you leave at wildly different times you likely won't need the remote option.
Appreciate that. Great shout, thank you sir.
As above you can program it in the car via 'eManager' in the infotainment unit.

If you want to connect remotely (using the WeConnect app) the car has a built in 4G SIM card. Far as I know this is the only method - the car cannot connect via your WiFi.

I thought early GTEs did not have the required hardware, but other than that all GTEs had the hardware and you just needed to pay the annual fee. Not sure what the OCU is, sorry.
Gotcha, I’ve edited the OP with the part it mentions the OCU.

When I did the initial setup, it did let me do a Wi-Fi scan and I briefly connected it to my iPhone hotspot.
Guess I could try the house Wi-Fi (it did list it as an option)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Appreciate that. Great shout, thank you sir.

Gotcha, I’ve edited the OP with the part it mentions the OCU.

When I did the initial setup, it did let me do a Wi-Fi scan and I briefly connected it to my iPhone hotspot.
Guess I could try the house Wi-Fi (it did list it as an option)
The connection to a WiFi network is separate to the remote connection / OCU. My GTE has the OCU but does not have the WiFi functionality.

I am not sure if you can add the OCU if it was not fitted at build. You say it is telling you it needs one - could you clarify what you mean?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The connection to a WiFi network is separate to the remote connection / OCU. My GTE has the OCU but does not have the WiFi functionality.

I am not sure if you can add the OCU if it was not fitted at build. You say it is telling you it needs one - could you clarify what you mean?
Understood.

I’ve attached an image to the initial post. Where it states (before ordering the online services) that an Online Connectivity Unit is required.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Understood.

I’ve attached an image to the initial post. Where it states (before ordering the online services) that an Online Connectivity Unit is required.
In that case I think either your car has the OCU (in which case you just need to register and pay the subscription) or it does not (in which case there is nothing you can do)

Not 100% sure how to tell if you have an OCU. Do you have an SOS button in the interior light switch assy? Does it have a green light on it?

Do you have a globe / display that looks like a phone signal strength bars on your infotainment unit? I will try and take photos of my car tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have 2018 model - and I am delighted with the car overall. My 'Security and Service ' subscription lapsed earlier this month. I decided not to renew. Like you, I think the ability to pre-heat the car from my phone while sitting inside the house sounds brilliant. The only problem is that in the year I have owned the car, it has never worked once.
So my advice is to do as Marky suggests, forget the remote capability. It is just not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In that case I think either your car has the OCU (in which case you just need to register and pay the subscription) or it does not (in which case there is nothing you can do)

Not 100% sure how to tell if you have an OCU. Do you have an SOS button in the interior light switch assy? Does it have a green light on it?

Do you have a globe / display that looks like a phone signal strength bars on your infotainment unit? I will try and take photos of my car tomorrow.
I do have the SOS button, with a green light on it. I pressed it and it tried to dial, although I stopped it before it did anything...

I don't have a globe/bars on the screen, so I think I may not have the required hardware.

I did call the dealership though and explain the situation - the chap I spoke to is sending me something out! Not entirely sure what it is, but he thinks it will sort the problem!

Will report back when it arrives :)

I too have 2018 model - and I am delighted with the car overall. My 'Security and Service ' subscription lapsed earlier this month. I decided not to renew. Like you, I think the ability to pre-heat the car from my phone while sitting inside the house sounds brilliant. The only problem is that in the year I have owned the car, it has never worked once.
So my advice is to do as Marky suggests, forget the remote capability. It is just not fit for purpose.
I hear ya, I think this may be the ultimate solution - will see what comes from the dealer next week first :)

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
391 Posts
Tried a vin decoder? Should tell you what units are installed (or at least does on bmw's)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, so.... the thing arrived from the dealer - and he'd misunderstood my problem. He sent me out a Dataplug.

Rectangle Font Electronic device Brand Electric blue

Still helpful, but not what I needed (probably another thread coming up on that soon)

I found in the 'myVolkswagen | Your cars' section - the full option list for my GTE.

Where this was listed "Online service, with OCU, with head unit coding, without engine immobilizer interconnection"

Human body Font Rectangle Brand Logo

So went ahead and ordered the "Security and Service plus" option for £55 / year.

Once this was made active, I was able to see the status of the car in the WeConnect App. Also able to set air conditioning / window heating etc.

Just adding this reply to potentially help anyone else with the same query.

Now begins the task of trying to understand the scheduled charging and preheat - which is just not working at all!

My remote air conditioning is working perfectly!

Thank you all for your input / feedback

·
Registered
Kona64
1,874 Posts
I might be wrong but I think the thing the dealer sent was not the widget you were expecting, but a dataplug thing for a different app. ( for for ICE+EV VW vehicles to give info on driving style, when servicing is due etc)

But, your car had the SIM already inside it anyway, and when you paid £55 and logged in to the website stuff it linked up.

As pointed out above some very early cars, perhaps part of a big demo fleet, did not have the sim in them for some reason, and some people found out the hard way it could not be retro added, not even by a dealer.

You can set it to just charge, just preheat(or cool) or both --- just a case of different options.
Also there's a setting in the car and/or app to allow air con to run when it's not plugged in, but you also need at least 4miles in the HV for that to work.
(ie stab the app as the credits come up at the end of a cinema visit, or when you've picked up your suitcase at the airport, or walking out of a hotel room )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts