Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the following dongle (sorry for the poor quality image), it works fine with LeafSpy, however to make it connect to Bluetooth I need to disconnect then re-connect the dongle to the ODB port. It also sometimes drops off mid-communication.

IMG_20170202_140548.jpg

I would like to have it auto connect when I start the car. Has anyone had a better experience with a different model of ODBII BT dongle? I have been using Android Tasker to auto launch leafspy when my phone connects to the cars Bluetooth. I want to test run leaf spy in the background on my phone during every journey to auto log SOC and SOH over time. LeafSpy supports auto uploading to dropbox which is nice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was going to ask - well still ask - what is a good reliable dongle to use on my Leaf 16 plate 24kw. model with my bluetooth android Note4?

There does seem to be a number of types around so the correct, or best? one to buy would be good to know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone got experience using WiFi dongle with Android? I have found the BT one (at least mine) to be quite temperamental and require a power cycle before it connects. I want the phone to auto connect everytime I start the car. In general wifi is much more reliable to connect than BT. I wonder if will need to disable mobile data on my phone first the wifi connection to work?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone got experience using WiFi dongle with Android? I have found the BT one (at least mine) to be quite temperamental and require a power cycle before it connects. I want the phone to auto connect everytime I start the car. In general wifi is much more reliable to connect than BT. I wonder if will need to disable mobile data on my phone first the wifi connection to work?
I use this wifi one very successfully on iOS - says it's compatible with android also. It has an on off switch to save plugging and unplugging it all the time so I just leave it in place and the phone just finds it each time I open LeafSpy. On an iPhone I don't need to disable mobile data before connecting to it via wifi

Stoga Atoo STO002 WIFI Wirless obd2 wifi obdii OBD2 scanner Car Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC Android Device (WI-FI with switch): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Older versions of Android had issues with Bluetooth if WiFi was on, but you should be ok since version 5 (or before, I can't remember...)
My OBD has a power switch and always connects ok (takes a few seconds) and stays connected.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks Phil,

Hope you got back ok :)
Yes, no problem. Had to stop a little earlier than planned, but that was a combination of the Cotswolds (big climb) and me driving a little faster (perhaps overly optimistic!) than usual...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have this bluetooth dongle:
http://iNNEXT KW902 ELM327 Mini Bluetooth OBD-II Car Scanner- Android Torque Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool OBD-II Engine Fault Diagnostic Code Tester / OBD-II https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GYSSDW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_nthxqFxERIRpu
Whenever i start the LeafSpy app it autoconnects to the dongle. It may take a minute or so but it works.
My settings ins LeafSpy is:
Auto enable &disable Bluetooth: on
On exit force bluetooth of: on
Enable bluetooth pairing Key used 1234: on

My phone is a OnePlus2 with LineageOS

·
Registered
16 Posts
IMG_1968.JPG
I bought the above based on the above recommendations but when connecting tonight the leaf went nuts, all sorts of errors thrown up on the dash, it did look as though it connected to leaf spy but given that all the lights on the dash and errors bleeeping away at me I unplugged it promptly, I was then left with the smart key error on the display and a brake light on? After a short drive they seemed to correct themselves (hopefully) so I'm a bit petrified to try again, is there a specific procedure you follow?.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
View attachment 24593

I bought the above based on the above recommendations but when connecting tonight the leaf went nuts, all sorts of errors thrown up on the dash, it did look as though it connected to leaf spy but given that all the lights on the dash and errors bleeeping away at me I unplugged it promptly, I was then left with the smart key error on the display and a brake light on? After a short drive they seemed to correct themselves (hopefully) so I'm a bit petrified to try again, is there a specific procedure you follow?.
I had no dramas when I first used it. Plugged it in and connected it to my phone with 1234 password. Fired up Leaf Spy and away I went.

The mass errors on dash always seem to be 12v battery related from my reading, could it have been slightly low on voltage?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cars a late 2014 so the 12v battery is only 2.5 years old but worth looking into, did you have the leaf on or off prior to inserting the dongle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was on when I connected the dongle, then it went nuts lol, I'll maybe give it another go tomorrow once I check all the warnings have reset properly, cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I
View attachment 24593

I had the same problem with errors (key, brakes, tire pressure etc) with the first kw902 i bought.
It was a faulty kw902 unit. I got the money back and ordered another unit from innext over eBay. The new kw902 works without any errors

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem with errors (key, brakes, tire pressure etc) with the first kw902 i bought.
It was a faulty kw902 unit. I got the money back and ordered another unit from innext over eBay. The new kw902 works without any errors
Sounds Identical to my issue, so looks like another faulty unit, I'll try again later today if the same problem persists I'll just need to return it, that's the second one I've tried!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried the dongle again tonight and the leaf went crazy, tried it with the car turned on and off, obviously another defective unit, so popped in the post back to Amazon and after 2 failed Bluetooth ones I think I'll give the IOS version a try. Wish me luck?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts