Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have had my ZS EV for almost a week and have been really enjoying it. I have charged it on the granny charger and at work on a free chargemaster station we have.

Today I rolled up the same bank of chargemaster stations as I have used previously and plugged her in. I had the usual "connected but not charging" message so locked up but the charging did not start. I unlocked and locked again, unplugged, went to a different socket (there are about 20 in a row) and the same behaviour. There were other EVs around me charging just fine. I panicked at this point as I had about 10 miles left and needed to go to meetings off site in the afternoon so I tried the MG assistance. The nice AA guy couldn't help so I limped off to the dealership where it worked perfected on a Rolec point. grumpy at the inconvenience I went back to work and went to a different car park that has a bank of chargers provided by a different company and it all worked perfectly.

So, here is the question. Is the car a bit temperamental? Could the charger be a bit dodgy and today, because I failed to stand on one leg with my trouser rolled up, it wouldn't work? Was it because it was really cold this morning and I had only gone 4 miles to work before trying to charge?

I am going to try the same chargemaster stations tomorrow as they have worked previously.

Perhaps I am just a muppet, who knows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine refuses to charge at my house - which is pretty annoying. In fact worse than that, it pretends to be charging quite happily at my house and then stops the charge a couple of minutes later. My Leaf(s) charged without any issues off the same Rolec for the last five years without any issues prior to that. So does seem to be a bit picky. It quite happily charges everywhere else.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on this. I plugged it into the chargers that failed to work yesterday and all is well. Either it is a little gremlin or it had something to do with the cold. Driving in the cold is one thing but could trying to initiate a charge on a cold battery (ambient temperature < 0c) be a no no?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
it has to be the car, or it has to be a charger problem. and yesterday the other cars were definitely all charging just fine, not just plugged in and waiting for charging power to come on?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Driving in the cold is one thing but could trying to initiate a charge on a cold battery (ambient temperature < 0c) be a no no?
I would be surprised if it was the outside temperature.
Tesla Bjorn is receiving a charge in Norway okay !.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a similar problem with a Pod Point charging station. If I try to charge on the left hand point I get the message Connected but not charging. When I try to take out the charging cable it remains locked. I have to pop the bonnet and release the cable manually. I reported this to Pod Point and they reset it. But I cannot charge at this point as the problem remains. Lots of other cars dont seem to have this issue at this particular point. However, if I use the right hand point on the same charging post it works perfectly. Strange :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts