Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, when I put my 2020 e-niro on charge (at a public charger), I noticed a constant beeping even though I had put the car in Park and applied the EPB. The car was off but the beeping remained until I closed the door. I checked around the car to see if another door was open but all seemed OK. The charging unit indicated that electricity was flowing and this was confirmed as 7.4kWh when I looked through the window at the dashboard. So, off we went for lunch.

A couple of hours later I opened the UVO app to check the SOC. We'd arrived with 57%. However, the app reported that the car was still at 57%, it was NOT plugged in AND the AC was running! This was a bit concerning so I decided to return to the car to see what was going on. All was well, still plugged in, AC not running but the rate of charge had dropped to 0.5kWh per hour. I switched the car on and it immediately rose to 7.4kWh again, also the beeping returned. I double checked everything and all seemed in order so I locked up.

When we returned to the car after our day out, I stopped the charging, switched on and although the AC would work, I couldn't get any display for the climate controls. The Climate button was inoperative. The EV button was also inop. The battery icon on the display showed empty although the GOM showed we had 284 miles of range!

We drove home and everything else seemed to work except those 2 buttons. After a few hours at home, I checked it again and all had returned to normal.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or other oddities with the electrics? I've only had it since June and this is the first glitch I've encountered. 馃槙

Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
You're not set to reduce current on BMS? The location charging may be good for home but set at reduced for away from home. Worth a look.

Registered
ONTO/Evezy 拢50 Code: CADA7
A couple of hours later I opened the UVO app to check the SOC. We'd arrived with 57%. However, the app reported that the car was still at 57%, it was NOT plugged in AND the AC was running! This was a bit concerning so I decided to return to the car to see what was going on. All was well, still plugged in, AC not running but the rate of charge had dropped to 0.5kWh per hour. I switched the car on and it immediately rose to 7.4kWh again, also the beeping returned. I double checked everything and all seemed in order so I locked up.
It's common on many cars. If you unlock the car while it is charging it will drop the current to a safe, low level allowing you to unplug without doing any damage. Lock the car, press a button or simply wait a moment and the charge rate will return to normal.

As for the app, they aren't especially reliable on any model of car. Don't be too surpsised if it shows outdated or incorrect data every now and then.

Registered
A lack of update on the data in the app explains the rubbish information you were provided. It was essentially telling you what was happening before you stopped to charge. Not unusal with these apps it appears.

The 0.5kwh is normal as mentioned above, opening the door reduces the current flow in case you do something silly I guess.

None of it explains the climate and EV button issue though. It鈥檚 a bit of a wild stab but I鈥檇 check the condition of the 12v battery to start with just in case.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
Yesterday, when I put my 2020 e-niro on charge (at a public charger), I noticed a constant beeping even though I had put the car in Park and applied the EPB. The car was off but the beeping remained until I closed the door. I checked around the car to see if another door was open but all seemed OK. The charging unit indicated that electricity was flowing and this was confirmed as 7.4kWh when I looked through the window at the dashboard. So, off we went for lunch.

When we returned to the car after our day out, I stopped the charging, switched on and although the AC would work, I couldn't get any display for the climate controls. The Climate button was inoperative. The EV button was also inop. The battery icon on the display showed empty although the GOM showed we had 284 miles of range!

We drove home and everything else seemed to work except those 2 buttons. After a few hours at home, I checked it again and all had returned to normal.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or other oddities with the electrics? I've only had it since June and this is the first glitch I've encountered. 馃槙
I've had a similar transient issue (KIA Soul 64kWh) where the the battery icon on the display showed empty. The turtle light came on and the UVO status also showed empty battery and zero DTE.
Cleared the next day after a brief charge at home.
Today parked for 2hours, came back to find blue charging light on dashboard had the last segment flashing. No other fault, cleared as soon as we unlocked.

Registered
I think you need to check the voltage on your 12v battery. Depending on which light was flashing that could have been the battery saver working. Either put it on a long charge, drive for more than 30 mins or charge you 12v battery.

Registered
@Gary J just for info always use the refresh button for up to date info, the UVO screen does not refresh when you open the app so the info there is old data.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I think you need to check the voltage on your 12v battery. Depending on which light was flashing that could have been the battery saver working. Either put it on a long charge, drive for more than 30 mins or charge you 12v battery.
Well, there were no lights flashing on the dash or in the window. Plus we had just finished a drive of 30-40 mins. So I'm still a bit confused 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
None of it explains the climate and EV button issue though. It鈥檚 a bit of a wild stab but I鈥檇 check the condition of the 12v battery to start with just in case.
Not sure how I do that??? Battery Saver+ is ticked in the settings.

I did wonder whether it was performing battery cooling. However, while Saturday was a warmish day, it was nothing like the temperature we've experienced in the UK earlier in the week.

Registered
Stick a voltmeter on the battery terminals if you can find one or someone who has one. Yes the battery saver will do a bit to try to keep the voltage up but there is a long history of EVs with flat 12v batteries. Strange electronic behaviour is not usual but can be caused by low charge levels.

Reactions: Gary J

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
You're not set to reduce current on BMS? The location charging may be good for home but set at reduced for away from home. Worth a look.
Thanks for this advice. I've never used these features but checked in case something has self-activated and no, no location charging configured and not set to reduce current.

Registered
A couple of hours later I opened the UVO app to check the SOC. We'd arrived with 57%. However, the app reported that the car was still at 57%, it was NOT plugged in AND the AC was running!
Just a check; you do know that you need to tell the app to refresh don't you? That what it will show you by default is going to be data from quite some time ago (I guess in this case from just before you parked) until you force a refresh. That you do a refresh with the little red circle with the curly arrow. Apologies if this is obvious and you did do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts