Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a strange message appear on the rlink as I pulled up to park today
‘Please remove loose metal from port before charging’
I hadn’t popped the charging port open and had 150 miles left so not low on charge. So no idea why the car thought I was about to charge.
I did pop the port open to see if something had got into the port or see if there was anything there that shouldn’t be. It was all perfectly normal.
Plugged in to charge when I got home and everything work as normal and charged perfectly well.
Any ideas what this was about?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
I've seen a few odd errors that make no real sense (poor translation from French I assume?) on the Zoe before, but this is a new one that I've never heard of.

I'm not even sure how the car would know that there is loose metal in the port, never mind why there is a dedicated error message for such an occurrence.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it a ZE50? We have had a similar message if you put something on the phone charging pad - like a glasses case 😗. Can remember the exact message - though it said “pad” not “port” but can’t precisely remember...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, if you put a phone that doesn't have a wireless charging capability on the lower pad, it pops up a message asking you to remove metal items before charging. Annoyingly, the message won't go away until you click ok. Given how few phones have wireless charging, I'd have far rather they spent the money on providing rubber end caps for the charging cable and a bag to put it in!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it may have said pad not port I was working from memory. What’s even stranger is my iPhone that does charge from the pad was on it at the time. I might have briefly put something on top of it though. Makes a lot more sense than it being the charging port though

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
32 Posts
Well it may have said pad not port I was working from memory. What’s even stranger is my iPhone that does charge from the pad was on it at the time. I might have briefly put something on top of it though. Makes a lot more sense than it being the charging port though
Does it charging. Message is just to prevent from having something metal on pad while charging. Keys, coins, ...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, if you put a phone that doesn't have a wireless charging capability on the lower pad, it pops up a message asking you to remove metal items before charging. Annoyingly, the message won't go away until you click ok. Given how few phones have wireless charging, I'd have far rather they spent the money on providing rubber end caps for the charging cable and a bag to put it in!
I take all this back. Today I discovered that iPhones do now have wireless charging. We tested my wife's iPhone on the pad today and it charged great. As I have a one plus phone that doesn't, I now have a serious case of wireless charger envy!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking forward to the wireless charging and it does work very well. I’m easily pleased😂😂

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,979 Posts
I take all this back. Today I discovered that iPhones do now have wireless charging. We tested my wife's iPhone on the pad today and it charged great. As I have a one plus phone that doesn't, I now have a serious case of wireless charger envy!
I have a Oneplus phone too. I fitted this charging coil to it:-

Nillkin Type C Wireless Charging Receiver, Magic Tag USB C Qi Wireless Charger Receiver Chip[Long Version] for Google Pixel 3a / HTC 10 / 6T / 7/7 Pro and other Big Size USB C Phones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It sits inside the Oneplus-supplied phone case.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Id like one of these, but think I need one with a through port... Most of the time I would still charge with a cable to get oneplus quick charging. Unfortunately, no one seems to make such a device. I could get a battery case, as some of those have qi charging, but dont want to add too much bulk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts