Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called my insurance earlier to switch it from the First addition to the Max, I’d prepared myself for the additional fee as it’s a group higher at 30.

I was shocked to be told my premium would be lower - no idea why, unless it’s something to do with additional safety tech. I decided not to tell them that the tech had major flaws, otherwise, it may well have doubled

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
659 Posts
Hint: it's because there are no rules to insurance prices, only the empirical statistics that a particular insurer has gathered about a particular set of risks, combined in a very specific way to generate your quote.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hint: it's because there are no rules to insurance prices, only the empirical statistics that a particular insurer has gathered about a particular set of risks, combined in a very specific way to generate your quote.
I still find it odd that it came in cheaper

Second ID3 about £6K more expensive (RRP) + higher insurance group.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
257 Posts
I still find it odd that it came in cheaper

Second ID3 about £6K more expensive (RRP) + higher insurance group.
Completely different set up here.. My last ICE car was 2017 Audi S6 V8 with 455 BHP, the one before that was 2017 Mercedes E350 diesel.... The Audi was £180 quid cheeper to insure and with some 200BHP more, not to mention that the ORP of both cars was with something close to £18000 difference with the Audi leading the way. So as the @mrdr_ev mentioned, there is no rime or reason with the insurance companies.😂

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
There is no way you will ever figure out an insurers quoting logic. It seems designed to mess with your head

we went from a 2020 Hyundai Kona 64kwh to a 2020 Tesla Model 3 and on changing the car the insurer told us the Tesla was cheaper and issued a £50 refund

after 6 months we gave up on the Tesla and and bought another Kona. On changing the insurance we were told the Kona was cheaper and it generated a £28 refund

figure if I change cars every few months it should eventually make the insurance free :). Or more likely a gazzilion a year

insurance underwriters seem to rely on some form of voodoo and maybe a lot of Jack Daniels to work out premiums

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,882 Posts
Probably just the insurers have more data on accident costs, so can more accurately quote.

Also, I believe premiums in general reduced last year as people were driving less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts