Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm due to take delivery of my new (to me!) Nissan Leaf this Saturday.

For the last few months I've been keeping an eye out at local venues such as ASDA and the outlet retail park and noticed that they are pretty regularly ICE'd and due to being in a small town relatively low volume, primarily next to the shops. Now obviously there's no need for them to be near the shops, having an EV car isn't a disability and it just tends to encourage lazy ICE drivers to use them it appears due to their proximity.

While it's a plus point that the cash point cripple has moved from disabled bays it's now hitting us.

I've had a bit of back and forth with ASDA on Twitter who have given a half hearted rhetoric answers of 'they'll keep an eye on it' but obviously this is false promise.

Would anyone else be up for an organised letter writing campaign (letter, email, social media - whatever) to companies such as this suggesting that these bays need to be enforced (they wouldn't like us parking in their petrol pumps to do our weekly shop after all) and that perhaps there's a better way to position them to help us out at the same time.

Am I chasing false hope, or is this a good idea?

·
Registered
123 Posts
A stash of pre printed letters in your glove box worded very generic and non confrontational allong the lines of this store is looking at clamping in charging bays in the future placed under the wipers when you see a bay iced.
I think most of the public genuinely don't think there are any EV cars on the roads yet so don't see a problem parking in a EV bay. I get equally pissed at people in parent child bays when they have a 14 year old in the car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,021 Posts
So I'm due to take delivery of my new (to me!) Nissan Leaf this Saturday.

For the last few months I've been keeping an eye out at local venues such as ASDA and the outlet retail park and noticed that they are pretty regularly ICE'd and due to being in a small town relatively low volume, primarily next to the shops. Now obviously there's no need for them to be near the shops, having an EV car isn't a disability and it just tends to encourage lazy ICE drivers to use them it appears due to their proximity.

While it's a plus point that the cash point cripple has moved from disabled bays it's now hitting us.

I've had a bit of back and forth with ASDA on Twitter who have given a half hearted rhetoric answers of 'they'll keep an eye on it' but obviously this is false promise.

Would anyone else be up for an organised letter writing campaign (letter, email, social media - whatever) to companies such as this suggesting that these bays need to be enforced (they wouldn't like us parking in their petrol pumps to do our weekly shop after all) and that perhaps there's a better way to position them to help us out at the same time.

Am I chasing false hope, or is this a good idea?
You are in the first flush of ownership and charging up while you are shopping is so novel you really want to do it.

Don't worry, this will wear off in time and you will soon realise the faff of trying to park and plug in just isn't worth it when you can get home to charge conveniently.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I’ve often wondered why they put them so close to the shop where the temptation will be for non EVs to park in them.

But then, as somebody has said, the electricity is nearest the shop, but it’s also less likely to be vandalised if it’s near the store.

Some disabled people also drive EVs, so for them it being near the shop is very useful. If it was placed further away, how long would it be before they got a complaint about the charger position being inconvenient for those who need to be near the shop for mobility reasons?

As @donald says, you’ll soon get over it! ASDA is a place to be got in and out of as fast as you can anyway, in my humble opinion of course...

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had an issue with ASDA in Watford 18 month ago with the bays being iced constantly.. I badgered the customer services .. head office and the store manager.. she was really supportive. In the end we came up with big cones at the entrance to each of the 4 bays... an ev driver moves cone, parks and shops, then when done moves car and places cone back in position..
It works 99% of the time. Since then all ways bays free when I go there.
Ice drivers would rather just go into a bay and park but having the hassle of stopping moving cone is too much of bother for most of them. Also they can't use the excuse of I didn't know as they had to move the cone in the 1st place..
Speak to store manager and get her to email Watford manager for info.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
In the end we came up with big cones at the entrance to each of the 4 bays... an ev driver moves cone, parks and shops, then when done moves car and places cone back in position.
Same as Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth. Four EV charging spaces, four cones. Never seen them ICEd. The EV drivers that use the spaces seem to respect the system and so I've never seen the cones not put back after the driver has finished.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We have the same system at work the EV and phevs self police the cones the ice drivers can't be bothered to get out to move the cones but EV drivers obviously can.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Same as Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth. Four EV charging spaces, four cones. Never seen them ICEd. The EV drivers that use the spaces seem to respect the system and so I've never seen the cones not put back after the driver has finished.
Yup - my wife wasn't going to go into one of the spaces there until I pointed out the cones were specifically to deter ICE vehicles, but we were allowed!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,613 Posts
The best way to stop ICEing is to USE the chargers!

There is frequently some driver who can't read a sign (or ignores them) at my local Tesco parked in the one of the EV charging bays. However, the frequency and quantity of ICEing reduces significantly if there is a car on charge there.

ASDA car parks will never be properly enforced for anything other than stay length, because they can't be bothered to pay anyone to actually go and check who parks where - as long are you're out within the allotted time, you can basically do what you like :(

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,021 Posts
Just park in front of this car. A good lead should reach.

Or arm yourself with a piece of chalk.

Asshole-parking.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would have pulled up across the front of it blocking him in, plugged in and gone shopping. They'd soon get the idea if they had to wait an hour for me to return - and what argument / justification could they possibly have for parking like that?

This isnt just an ASDA thing, it's an ongoing problem everywhere. I went to IKEA in Bristol on Sunday and there was an Astra & a Mondeo blocking the 2 charging spaces rendering the rapid unreachable.

I'm long done with taking my Leaf out of battery range nowadays, just too stressful. The chargers are still few and far between in the West Country and when there are chargers you can't rely on them either working or not being ICED.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts