Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside temp around 4C-8C, inside temp sent to say 22C, fan speed set to half.

What should happen? By my reckoning if Off, I should get no heat. If on Eco I should get a little heat. If set to Max I should get more heat.

But in each Off/Eco/Max setting I seem to get the same amount of heat, and the climate power indicator does not change. Is this the same as everyone else's Ampera or is something not working on mine? In particular I was surprised to get any heat at all if ”off”. (If I reduce the fan speed it will go off, so it's not battery heating).

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Bruce,
I drive in Auto setting all the time and only deviate if I need to demist the screen. In Auto there is a lowering on the climate power indicator if I change from MAX to ECO, but there can be up to around 20 seconds lag in response. From ECO to MAX the response is much quicker. I have never used the "off" setting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Ampera climate control seems to be one of life's mysteries!

I recall the day I bought it. Set it to Auto and 22 deg which seemed to be ok for a while, then it went berserk and started blasting vast amounts of heat from every orifice. No matter what we tried we couldn't stop it and had to close all vents and wind the windows down to cool off.

I normally just select auto and a suitable temp. I did have it set to max mode but with the warmer weather have changed to Eco mode. It seems to maintain a reasonable temp, but I never seem to feel any real heat blowing from the vents.

I think the system has the ability to override any settings when it detects high humidity.

I must sit in the car with the manual sometime and try and figure out how it all works.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks LK13 I'll try that - maybe they are an auto mode thing and I should RTFM a bit more closely!

I have had it in auto mode in the past but the fan behaviour as Geoff1947 describes - going from quiet to full blast and back to quiet repeatedly, and trying to blow full blast through the dash vents when they are all closed - drove me up the wall (not literally!)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have had it in auto mode in the past but the fan behaviour as Geoff1947 describes - going from quiet to full blast and back to quiet repeatedly, and trying to blow full blast through the dash vents when they are all closed - drove me up the wall (not literally!)
I have not experienced the fan "hunting" but do recall one instance of uncontrolled high interior temperature. I fixed the high cabin temperature by turning the fan off and opening a window. Everything returned to normal after the next vehicle restart.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think the Off/Eco/Max thing is misunderstood - look at the logos and you'll see it only relates to the use of air conditioning and seat heating. It doesn't relate to fan speed usage or anything else. So in other words if it's in "OFF" then it will never turn on aircon or heated seats to bring the cabin to the right temperature; ECO it will use minimal aircon and the heated seats only on "1" setting; in MAX mode it can use max aircon and "3" (full) heated seat settings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still get the air con coming on even when ”off”, and ”eco” and ”max” make no difference, but I don't know if that's down to cabin temp or humidity. I don't have heated seats (it's an Earth model) and that maybe where the problem has crept in - removal of features to make the Earth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts