Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
But you don’t have to use preconditioning every day, once a week will enable you to charge during your low rate every night, so in fact you have saved £10........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I could completely turn off preset cabin preconditioning, but it is useful especially on a cold & frosty morning (not that we've had many in the UK this year).
I'm not sure how intelligent the cabin preconditioning is. What temperature does it aim for? What you last set the aircon to?
If the outside temperature is 20c and the aircon was set to 20c does the preconditioning do nothing?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I could completely turn off preset cabin preconditioning, but it is useful especially on a cold & frosty morning (not that we've had many in the UK this year).
I'm not sure how intelligent the cabin preconditioning is. What temperature does it aim for? What you last set the aircon to?
If the outside temperature is 20c and the aircon was set to 20c does the preconditioning do nothing?
I would leave it on, you are going to use it in the first couple of miles anyway if, like me you use auto and comfort. It is the cabin temperature that will affect it rather than outside temperature. Yes it's the last set figure and it will cool or heat until it is reached.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I understood the cabin pre-con was only two temperatures and they are not user adjustable, something like 18C when hot (Summer) and 22C when cold (Winter).....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I understood the cabin pre-con was only two temperatures and they are not user adjustable, something like 18C when hot (Summer) and 22C when cold (Winter).....
Where did you get that from and why would the temperature be different according to the season? The whole point of automatic air-conditioning is that you set and forget your ideal temperature.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you change the ambient temperature, it is more likely that you would want it cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer to reflect the amount of clothes you will be wearing...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Where did you get that from and why would the temperature be different according to the season? The whole point of automatic air-conditioning is that you set and forget your ideal temperature.
It’s nothing to do with the temperature when your in the car driving, the pre-conditioning for the interior cannot be user adjusted (at least not on the 14>17 models) when it’s cold outside it warms the interior, when it’s hot outside it cools it before you board at the two different temperatures set by BMW.

We cannot change the “ambient temperature” that is what the world is outside the car........:)

·
Registered
351 Posts
It is not unknown for a dealer to provide false information. It is easily proven, just set your climate temperature to a cold or hot extreme before you set the preconditioning and see what you get...

·
Registered
550 Posts
It kind of makes sense to have two fixed temperatures. Supposing somebody accidentally flips the internal thermostat to maximum or minimum before leaving the car (kids love to play with things) - there is nobody in it to sense that something is wrong so the preconditioning could be consuming substantial power to try and reach an unattainable temperature. It’s not failsafe.

·
Registered
301 Posts
BMW Farnborough is the head office, I got the info while on an i3 group visit chatting to the engineers there.

I think the idea is in cold weather it heats the cabin to a slightly warmer temperature than would be normal, the converse in the summer hot weather it over cools the cabin slightly, this is so when you start your journey the driver doesn’t need to “whack the HVAC” up to get the cabin comfortable, and because the system is not working so hard at the start of the journey it is saving energy, and we all know what saving energy makes......range.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is not unknown for a dealer to provide false information. It is easily proven, just set your climate temperature to a cold or hot extreme before you set the preconditioning and see what you get...
It’s BMW head office......although there is a dealer down the road ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts