Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the EV community. I'm just about to purchase a year-old C350e Estate Premium+ for low mileage inner city driving. My commute to work is under 5 miles each way. I live in a Victorian Grade II listed building with resident off-street communal parking. I'm one of the directors of the freehold and some residents want to explore the option of installing a 2-socket charger between 2 resident parking bays. I have some questions that I can't find the answers to online. Hopefully someone in this forum can help answer them:

1. Can a home charger be installed in such a way that limits access to a few access cards? Our parking spaces are freely accessible from a busy London street and we wouldn't want non-permit holders to start using it.

2. Is it possible to install a home charger outside a listed building? As long as the charger is not installed on the facade of the listed building I believe it should be fine? I reckon it will have to be a floor standing unit on the road surface.

3. As multiple residents will be charging, it it possible to keep track of how much electricity each access card is using? A smart meter from the mains wouldn't work for multiple users.

Thanks in advance!

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
I would say the life of EV is not for you. Buy that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Stepping over the above for a minute, welcome to the forum, and well done for getting off your backside and doing something to help local air quality. You'll notice that not everybody is fond of plug in hybrid electric vehicles though.

The charging solution that you and your fellow residents are looking for is more like a business setup to be honest, and although I don't know the specific answers to your questions, a couple of floor mounted charging posts and some kind of RFID card system with a company managing all the backend stuff sounds like the easiest solution for you?

I'm not an expert on the providers of such setups, but I know that Chargemaster do this sort of thing, and can supply all the information you'd need in operation so that you could understand how to split the electricity charges down each month/quarter. I'm guessing it won't be cheap to setup though.

Chargemaster Plc - Our Products

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum. As Tooks said, a commercial setup might cost a fortune to install. One simpler solution might be to have individual charge points installed from each user's own power supply consumer unit (so the bill is on your own electricity supply). The Chargemaster units, for instance, have a physical key to lock out the charge point (bottom right of picture here). As a residential installation, each resident should be eligible for the government £750 grant towards the cost of installation. Rolec also offer domestic installations and there are others, but I'm not sure if they lock or not. I hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Having a setup to monitor usage is probably going to cost more than the electric for the first year or two. You could probably set up a system fairly easily where you send a text to turn on or off the point using something like ebay 201535364356 and get an electrician to get it to turn on or off the internal contactor on a charge point. You might be able to work out from the text phone log who used points how often. If you added a power logger you could work out power for each session, but the cost would be high and lots of effort to correlate. Maybe easier to agree plug in hybrid cost £2 normal bev £3 tesla £5 etc

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,343 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the EV community. I'm just about to purchase a year-old C350e Estate Premium+ for low mileage inner city driving. My commute to work is under 5 miles each way. I live in a Victorian Grade II listed building with resident off-street communal parking. I'm one of the directors of the freehold and some residents want to explore the option of installing a 2-socket charger between 2 resident parking bays. I have some questions that I can't find the answers to online. Hopefully someone in this forum can help answer them:

1. Can a home charger be installed in such a way that limits access to a few access cards? Our parking spaces are freely accessible from a busy London street and we wouldn't want non-permit holders to start using it.

2. Is it possible to install a home charger outside a listed building? As long as the charger is not installed on the facade of the listed building I believe it should be fine? I reckon it will have to be a floor standing unit on the road surface.

3. As multiple residents will be charging, it it possible to keep track of how much electricity each access card is using? A smart meter from the mains wouldn't work for multiple users.

Thanks in advance!
Point 1 is possible as there are units that need a fob or code to use, 2. This would be local planner decision but do not see why not. 3. It should be possible but until manufacturers build in this in like IOT.

If I could build one it would have web interface with user accounts assigned to a smart card showing usage exactly for your scenario.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Simplest option for No1 would be to padlock the charge plug. Each resident gets a key to use.
No2, installing on a post in the ground should be possible too.
No3, best bet would be to charge a flat rate per user per quarter (or however often your electric bills come).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks all for the sound advice, I'll present all these suggestions at the residents AGM in 2 weeks and see what my neighbours think.

I have been waiting for some years now to take the plunge and I know a Merc PHEV is widely seen as a heavy 2L ICE with a few token e-miles. But given my circumstances, I think I can make it work.

My current car before I switch next week is a 320d which did 55mpg when we lived in Scotland and drove more miles. In Central London peak hour driving, in under a year since we moved I've dropped to 29mpg and I foresee a DPF issue soon if I continue to do short cold runs. Needless to say London has far too many idling diesel engines on its roads.

I could've gone for a 3-pot petrol BMW but I'm very keen to go electric during my 6 years in London - there aren't many places where a mild hybrid can make sense! My workplace changes every year and I work odd shifts - most of which are within the congestion zone. My daughter may also start attending school within the congestion zone. I also live near the congestion zone boundary but do not get the residents discount. Add the free Westminster parking, free road tax and discounted staff parking.. in 3 years I'll have made up the top-up amount after I trade in my current car - I'm fairly optimistic these Westminster perks will stay in place for at least the next 2-3 years. I also have 3-4 charge points relatively nearby so with some determination I'll get to one that is in service 3 times a week to meet my commuting needs - I'm certain I never exceed 8 miles on a work day. On the rare occasion we head out of London I'll stick it in hybrid mode and watch the mpg fall. So even if I can't get home or work charging to become a reality - which is the main reason for not going BEV - I reckon I can get most of my miles in electric mode.

I have to say my main concern now is all the issues with electrics I'm reading about on the MB forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
as has already been identified. 2 x charge points with a key lock switch would probably be the cheapest and easiest option. a freidns charge point from Viridian EV has selectable current aswell as power isolation on the key switch

·
Registered
53 Posts
It may be easier to install a PODPOINT commercial charger and simply let the residents pay for what they want to use. You could make the charger available for public use and get a small income from it as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts