Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

With the, hopefully, impending arrival of my Tesla Model 3 I was wondering what the benefits are of the Tesla Owners Club UK.

I am a non Facebook user. I have an account, still active, but it's gathering mothballs for a variety of reasons. Mostly their practices. I deleted it's apps off of all of my devices and I really don't want to go back to using their services.

I'm used to car owners clubs. Owning a classic mini for years (technically still have one in parts form, a project I will finish one day) I used to really enjoy the monthly gatherings to chat all things mini, talk about modifications and improvements etc.

So as a non Facebook user what are the benefits, if any, for the £35-£50 a year?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Absolutely zero benefit in paying unless you want a sticker in my opinion.

They use the funds to buy flags to run promotional activities. They do lobby Tesla and claim some small successes but I've had to lobby the owners group very hard to get them to start using the group twitter account to raise anything approaching a negative critism or to get action. The last letter they wrote on behalf of the owners groups across europe took 2 months before Tesla replied (and the reply was nothing more than an acknowledgement). I suggested using some of the funds to write a solicitors letter regarding batterygate (Tesla are refusing to accept a complaint from owners unless it comes from a solicitor) and I got laughed at despite many many long term members having the issue and we could all suffer at some point.

You can be on the facebook group without paying. Others do feel differently but I'm struggled to hear any argument unless you want to rent one of their cable sets which you probably would never need, or their chademo adapter except CCS is now the way to go. The owners group is also a limited company set up with one person the 100% owner, he claims he's trying to change it.. and has been for years.

The group does do fund raising and I applaud that

Its also actually the owners group, there's another facebook group called the tesla owners club uk which has many of the same people if you have technical questions. .

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a non-Facebook user it's a certainly limited but there are still benefits including but not limited to:

• Discounted cable rental, e.g. if you were planning a roadtrip to Italy you could borrow the cables for your trip without having to spend the ~£300 to buy them
  • Member discounts, e.g. 50% off Experian AutoCheck / 10% off IAM Roadsmart / 25% off Abstract Ocean, these often can cover membership fees on their own
  • A nice welcome pack with stickers, referral business cards, lanyard etc + when it renews a nice mug and pin badge
  • Monthly newsletter with updates about the club, changes and Tesla.
  • The knowledge you're supporting a decent cause and getting more people into EVs/Tesla cars (e.g. we've purchased a big marquee + flags for all the regional sub-chapters.
  • Having your voice heard
  • A yearly discount on Tesla official clothing purchases
  • Exclusive invites to events
  • The knowledge you're helping our charity efforts, last year we donated two Tesla toy RadioFlyers on behalf of the club to the charity appeal we helped run (total of over 170 toy cars now delivered to children's hospices and hospitals).

That's about it, shout if you have any further questions.

Also, Jon G, the club hasn't been 100% owned by one person for quite a while now, it's a private company limited by guarantee without share capital >> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12049084

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm a member of the Facebook group, it is useful to keep an eye on the topics. Joining the group is free. I wouldn't pay to be a member, I don't see the point.

My only real gripe with the club is that they're using Facebook and not a forum. Facebook groups are fine for casual chats where there isn't much activity. But there's a lot of activity on there now, with Facebook it's very difficult to keep track of topics, go back to them or see what's already been posted.

Internet forums took a beating 10 years ago when social media blew up but there's still a place for them. Car topics are a good example, sometimes it's useful to have in-depth discussions.

And there are a few show off twats in the group. I suppose that's to be expected, Tesla is a premium brand.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
As a non-Facebook user it's a certainly limited but there are still benefits including but not limited to:

• Discounted cable rental, e.g. if you were planning a roadtrip to Italy you could borrow the cables for your trip without having to spend the ~£300 to buy them
  • Member discounts, e.g. 50% off Experian AutoCheck / 10% off IAM Roadsmart / 25% off Abstract Ocean, these often can cover membership fees on their own
  • A nice welcome pack with stickers, referral business cards, lanyard etc + when it renews a nice mug and pin badge
  • Monthly newsletter with updates about the club, changes and Tesla.
  • The knowledge you're supporting a decent cause and getting more people into EVs/Tesla cars (e.g. we've purchased a big marquee + flags for all the regional sub-chapters.
  • Having your voice heard
  • A yearly discount on Tesla official clothing purchases
  • Exclusive invites to events
  • The knowledge you're helping our charity efforts, last year we donated two Tesla toy RadioFlyers on behalf of the club to the charity appeal we helped run (total of over 170 toy cars now delivered to children's hospices and hospitals).
That's about it, shout if you have any further questions.

Also, Jon G, the club hasn't been 100% owned by one person for quite a while now, it's a private company limited by guarantee without share capital >> https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12049084
Quite a while being about 10 weeks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts