Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I know the chargers at Tesco in Oakham are not working yet, so it would be churlish to pick this individual up for parking in a spot reserved for EVs actually charging whilst not actually charging…..But I’m feeling churlish.
And let’s not even mention the state of the Audi’s parking. My daughter, as you can see in the mirror, is horrified
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
Now, I know the chargers at Tesco in Oakham are not working yet, so it would be churlish to pick this individual up for parking in a spot reserved for EVs actually charging whilst not actually charging…..But I’m feeling churlish.
And let’s not even mention the state of the Audi’s parking. My daughter, as you can see in the mirror, is horrified View attachment 150654
I came out of Tesco after doing my shopping last week and as I was walking towards the chargers,of which 3 were charging, I noticed a Tesla had just parked his car and gone into the store. Thereby blocking the last charger. They (whole family) were almost in the store so the moment had passed to ask if they were going to charge. Fortunately for the next person I packed my boot, disconnected and moved on.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
And let’s not even mention the state of the Audi’s parking. My daughter, as you can see in the mirror, is horrified View attachment 150654
How else is the Audi owner going to protect their precious vehicle from everybody’s offspring opening the doors onto it?

Good to see some chargers going in at Tesco’s now, they’ve installed some at Melton Mowbray too.

·
Registered
Audi Q4 40 S line. VW ID4 GTX (on order)
144 Posts
This is the problem with EV parking spaces they're like disabled / child parent spaces, they're bigger so people will use them when they shouldn't because they're selfish morons. Especially supermarket or out of town retail park, car parks, they're not readily policed by a warden.

I kinda get it though when you get other morons park so unnecessarily close to your car in normal spaces so often.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How else is the Audi owner going to protect their precious vehicle from everybody’s offspring opening the doors onto it?

Good to see some chargers going in at Tesco’s now, they’ve installed some at Melton Mowbray too.
They have….and in the perfect position from which to wave smugly at those in the fuel queue that yesterday stretched all the way up to the trolleys at the store entrance 👋

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kinda get it though when you get other morons park so unnecessarily close to your car in normal spaces so often.
Had I been in the wife’s Leaf that gets used like a farm truck (and been charging of course), I’d have taken great pleasure in parking perfectly within the space to the Audi’s right.

If I were feeling extra grumpy, I’d also have filmed from a distance the resulting aggro that caused him and any frustration he took out on the Nissan.

·
Registered
e208 with ID3 Pro S Tour ordered
193 Posts
Similar experience today with w**kers. First my local 50kW Polar was blocked by someone charging to 100%. Silly and inconsiderate but, he or she has the right. So I go to my local Shell 175kW chargers. Those queuing for fuel were livid when I drove in the exit but calmed down when I went to plug in. Both chargers completely dead. OK, not to be defeated and now down to 9% I checked Zap Map and saw another Polar nearby but when I arrived the charger was at the front of the space and cable won't reach if there is a car parked in front as the space isn't big enough.....sigh. So I went back to original charger to find said w**ker charging up a Volvo to 100%. It was on 95% and he wasn't moving. So annoying! Hopefully charging etiquette will be covered as part of driving lessons in the future!! Oh and it was 🌧. Quite a day!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bet the people sneering at you for driving in the exit were having a good laugh at you not being able to charge...
Works both ways.
Not saying either is the right thing to do.
Too true. I had to laugh though but very frustrating when unable to use any of 4 local chargers near me for a quick top up. The downside of sharing charger locations with ICE vehicles or just silly design of charging spaces. We won't mention some of the drivers...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Similar experience today with w**kers. First my local 50kW Polar was blocked by someone charging to 100%. Silly and inconsiderate but, he or she has the right. So I go to my local Shell 175kW chargers. Those queuing for fuel were livid when I drove in the exit but calmed down when I went to plug in. Both chargers completely dead. OK, not to be defeated and now down to 9% I checked Zap Map and saw another Polar nearby but when I arrived the charger was at the front of the space and cable won't reach if there is a car parked in front as the space isn't big enough.....sigh. So I went back to original charger to find said w**ker charging up a Volvo to 100%. It was on 95% and he wasn't moving. So annoying! Hopefully charging etiquette will be covered as part of driving lessons in the future!! Oh and it was 🌧. Quite a day!
Did you try to talk to the Volvo driver? They may be a newbie and not understand that their car will take ages for the last few percent and might actually be pleased someone told them.

It can be a tricky social minefield though and some may take it the wrong way. The other day I was charging and a fellow Leaf owner pulled up. I walked up to him and I could tell he thought I was going to have a go at him for some reason. But actually I told him I had charged enough and was just heading off. Plus, I let him know that the charger was on free vend (old Ecotricity Electric Highway). But sadly people seem conditioned that most discussions at the chargers will be arguments.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes I tapped on the window and politely asked if they realised charging to 100% isn't great for the battery, takes ages and effectively blocks the charger. He just said "I was here first and I can do as I like..."

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink 😉

Most people I have met with EVs have been very nice indeed and like you I am very conscious of not hogging precious chargers if I have enough to move on.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Had I been in the wife’s Leaf that gets used like a farm truck (and been charging of course), I’d have taken great pleasure in parking perfectly within the space to the Audi’s right.

If I were feeling extra grumpy, I’d also have filmed from a distance the resulting aggro that caused him and any frustration he took out on the Nissan.
I don't know what the Audi is like (and even if I did I wouldn't admit to it :)), but on some cars you can get in the passenger side and manoeuvre your way over to the driver's side. On the Leaf, it's virtually impossible because of the huge central plinth.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
I don't know what the Audi is like (and even if I did I wouldn't admit to it :)), but on some cars you can get in the passenger side and manoeuvre your way over to the driver's side. On the Leaf, it's virtually impossible because of the huge central plinth.
MG EZS is the same. Monster of a central plinth. Makes it really difficult for the passenger to insert their seat belt hook.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MG EZS is the same. Monster of a central plinth. Makes it really difficult for the passenger to insert their seat belt hook.
Not to over think an entirely hypothetical scenario, but the charge point on the Leaf is on the front. So the front passenger door would be hard up against the Audi’s driver’s door 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
193 Posts
Some standardisation of charger point location on vehicles might help. I know both Audi and Jaguar are on the front wing. Kia e Nero is front and so is Leaf. There are quite a few that mimic the old petrol filler location at the back left and right. Must make it a bit of a nightmare trying to design charging spaces if you have little/no experience of EVs?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
The front wing location has to be one of the very worst places, IMHO. Having the connector in the nose seems a great deal easier. I've had two cars with connectors at the driver's side rear, one with it on the passenger side rear and one with it in the front passenger side wing, and my wife's Zoe has the connector in the nose. The Zoe is a heck of a lot easier to connect up at most chargers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts