Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

My 2012 Volt just threw the above error. Torque pro shows the follow codes...

It was charging quite happily via the Zappi yesterday, but threw the faults when it was powered on this morning. It's been very dry and warm recently so I'm guessing it's not the charge port. The 12v batt has been on a ctek charger for most of the lockdown A quick check of the coolant level and it's well above the seam as it should be. This makes me think it's the coolant sensor...

Is there anything more I can do to check/test/fix before ringing Bellingers?

Thanks.
Roger

Edit: I forgot to add that I tried resetting the codes but they came straight back. I also unplugged the 12v batt for 10 mins but that didn't help either.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, further research last night and I have a cunning plan...

1. Test the coolant sensor wire to confirm 5v is present. If not it's a broken wire.

2. Borrow the coolant sensor from my other Volt (handy to have a spare). Reset the codes and cross fingers.

3. If step 2. fixes it install the sensor defeat device (24kohm resistor) for permanent fix

4. Repeat permanent fix on other Volt.

5. If all the above fails ring Bellingers.

Much info gleaned from this link...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, further update. There was 5v at the sensor wire, and the unplugged sensor had a resistance of 24kohms. Moving it close to a magnet dropped its resistance to nearly nothing, so it seemed to be ok. Swapping the sensor from my other Volt didn't help either, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I can't find anything wrong! My only thought is a transient fault which latched a code that Torque can't clear. I understand that this is possible and needs a dealer reset. Off to Bellingers it goes!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,293 Posts
The coolant sensor will latch 'fail' if you don't completely disconnect the 12V and allow a good time for the system to discharge.

An intermittent connection might have latched it fail, you will need a dealer to clear the code.

Sensor failures are one of those 'things' to fix for good; replace it with a dummy sensor/resistor. It's a useless component.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The coolant sensor will latch 'fail' if you don't completely disconnect the 12V and allow a good time for the system to discharge.

An intermittent connection might have latched it fail, you will need a dealer to clear the code.

Sensor failures are one of those 'things' to fix for good; replace it with a dummy sensor/resistor. It's a useless component.
Thanks Donald. I did try disconnecting the 12v, but only for 5 mins. I'll give it an hour this time.

I already have some 24kohm resistors on order to permanently fix it.

·
26,293 Posts
Thanks Donald. I did try disconnecting the 12v, but only for 5 mins. I'll give it an hour this time.

I already have some 24kohm resistors on order to permanently fix it.
No, I mean it latches if the fault/disconnection occurs while 12V is live, and then NEVER goes off until you see a dealer.

It all dates back to some crash test the NTSA did, and the Volt that was crashed caught fire a few weeks later when someone tried to activate it, or something like that. The coolant had disgorged itself into the battery cavity and there was a 'thermal event'. So GM was forced to retrospectively include a level sensor in the battery level. The early models repurposed an unused HVAC wire, so that was unreliable, and then the sensor itself is not reliable either.

So the fix is to lock in a dummy resistor, making sure to power down the system first. The fault flags and latches, and that's that.

I am not saying that is what you have for sure [and/or your 'original' problem], but if you have disconnected the coolant sensor line while 12V was connected then you would have triggered this.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update. I swapped over the coolant sensor from my other (2013) Volt before I saw Donald's last post. It didn't fix the issue on the 2012 car. However reinstalling the 2013 sensor back in the 2013 car made the same error appear! Doh! It turns out (as Donald points out above) that the sensor is live all the time. Unplugging it even if the car is turned off is enough to trigger the fault and disable charging. I should have disconnected the 12v first. Lesson learned!

I thought I'd have a go at clearing the code; anything to save two 80 mile 'round trips to Bellingers. Amazingly it worked! Phew!

So turning back to the 2012 Volt. The 24kohm resistors turned up and I wired one in place of the sensor. Cleared the codes but they came straight back. Boo!

So either the 2013 Volt is more 'fixable', in that clearing the code allows the car to be charged again, or the fault isn't with the coolant sensor at all. An issue with the charging port gives the same error. I did remove the charging port and put a heat gun on it but the error still stayed on after putting it back together.

Time to admit defeat and book it in with Bellingers.

·
Twin Amperas
42 Posts
Hi Roger,
Sadly sounds like you might be stuck with a visit to Bellingers - we take both our Amperas there and are very happy with their service but it's a bit of a trek for us...
However there might be one last option worthy of a look - Autel market a 'DIY' version of their MK808 Pro scanner (£650) called the AP200 at £60 - you have to designate one make for it to work with when you set it up, which it is locked to for life, although you can add a second make for a year at $22...
I also have Torque Pro and a generic OBD scanner, and there is no comparison between that and the AP200 - Torque Pro only does engine ECU diagnostics and code resetting, whereas the AP200 does all the cars systems and can do some 'dealer level' functions like coding keys, new injectors etc...can't promise it will sort your issue but it just might help, and is well worth having for all the extra functionality over the generic OBD stuff...for £60 it might be worth considering...
Have a look on Amazon for Autel AP200 Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Code Reader with Full Systems Diagnoses, AutoVIN, Oil/EPB/BMS/SAS/TPMS/DPF Resets IMMO Service for Family DIYers (DIY Version of MK808)

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted without too much hassle...

Cheers, Nathan

·
26,293 Posts
Quick update. I swapped over the coolant sensor from my other (2013) Volt before I saw Donald's last post. It didn't fix the issue on the 2012 car. However reinstalling the 2013 sensor back in the 2013 car made the same error appear! Doh! It turns out (as Donald points out above) that the sensor is live all the time. Unplugging it even if the car is turned off is enough to trigger the fault and disable charging. I should have disconnected the 12v first. Lesson learned!

I thought I'd have a go at clearing the code; anything to save two 80 mile 'round trips to Bellingers. Amazingly it worked! Phew!

So turning back to the 2012 Volt. The 24kohm resistors turned up and I wired one in place of the sensor. Cleared the codes but they came straight back. Boo!

So either the 2013 Volt is more 'fixable', in that clearing the code allows the car to be charged again, or the fault isn't with the coolant sensor at all. An issue with the charging port gives the same error. I did remove the charging port and put a heat gun on it but the error still stayed on after putting it back together.

Time to admit defeat and book it in with Bellingers.
I think they built in some sort of 'maybe once' kind of trigger. Really can't say, but I know that one of the reasons this is a Big Deal is because that 'made up' repurposed HVAC line on the early Volts I mentioned routinely fails and our US colleagues get rightly p!ssed about it. I believe that all the Volts and Amperas that made it here were post-fix on this, but the latched lock-out is a feature. Maybe you get one start-up with the sensor error, and the second latches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts