Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much excitement and anticipation, picked up my shiny new motor yesterday.

And that’s all I have about that!

Well at least it feels like it is.

The inaugural drive home was pretty much a non-event, as I sat in silence because I hadn’t yet looked at the radio setup.

We were off to a bad start from the get-go, because I wanted to ensure that the car had been fitted with the only non-paint option that I had purchased - the City Park pack which crucially includes the Vision 360 camera system.
Now every car I have come across so far with 360° bird’s eye view achieves this by including a camera in each of the door mirrors, so I was somewhat dismayed to find no cameras present, despite a sales guy initially trying to tell me that the puddle lamps were the cameras.

Long story short, the Citroën uses only front and rear cameras which record a wide angle view as the vehicle moves forward or back and then ’builds’ the side images in software.

Points to mention after a brief experience of having the car so far;

1) No auto-hold.
Back in January when I ordered, having this function was the one query that the salesman had to phone me back on... “yes, as standard”, was his reply.
But nope, it only has hill start assist.

2) No handbook.
And no clue from the dealer whose only advice was to google for a download link.
But nope, you have to install the MyCitroën app on a phone or tablet and following registration, access the handbook from there!

3) No granny charger.
Par for the course however with many of today’s EVs. But you do get a type 2 cable (but can’t see how they could not include one!).

4) Head up display works well in full sun conditions.
Nice bright white speed readout, easily read in bright sunlight.

5) Mediocre build quality.
Cheapo plastics used below mid-level of dash, and glove compartment does not close snugly.

6) Much hyped ‘Magic Carpet’ ride quality not that much different to my current Outlander, which rides just as well, in my opinion.

7) Power delivery.
Have to use sport mode to properly experience the instant EV torque that we all know and love.

More to follow after having a few more days with it.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
I also test drove an Opel about 3 years ago (Crossland or Grandland, not sure which it was) with no side cameras, which worked as you describe.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
The proper 360 cameras of the Leaf is the only thing I really miss having. The stitched together effort the Corsa et al manage is a joke in comparison.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
558 Posts
I find it adequate considering I spend 0.0001% of my life reversing in my car.

Yes, I did make that statistic up on the spot but, to be fair, do you really need 4K ultra HD, panoramic view from 4 separate cameras which stitch together a beautiful vista for you to admire for that minuscule amount of time you actually spend reversing?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
The Leaf isn't HD at all. It's quite low res! You also have a dedicated camera button on the AV unit so you can turn that view on any time at all. For manoeuvring in tight spots it's really helpful.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
The stitched together effort the Corsa et al manage is a joke in comparison.
Same in the e-208, so obviously this set up is common to all PSA vehicles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it adequate considering I spend 0.0001% of my life reversing in my car
Horses for Courses I guess, or is that Corsas? :)

I use the proper 4-camera view on my Outlander extensively, and particularly when parking front-in because a button on the steering wheel activates the cameras without having to shift into reverse like the C4.

The problem with the Citroen system, is that when parked up it forgets what’s at the side of the vehicle and will not display anything on the camera view until you have moved forwards or backwards enough so that the front or rear camera captures whatever might be there. Not particularly clever.

The Car will park itself using the ultrasonic sensors, but I’ve had that feature on a previous car and hardly ever used it. I paid the extra to get the park pack to get the 360 camera view but feel as if I’ve been a little short-changed.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Horses for Courses I guess, or is that Corsas? :)

I use the proper 4-camera view on my Outlander extensively, and particularly when parking front-in because a button on the steering wheel activates the cameras without having to shift into reverse like the C4.

The problem with the Citroen system, is that when parked up it forgets what’s at the side of the vehicle and will not display anything on the camera view until you have moved forwards or backwards enough so that the front or rear camera captures whatever might be there. Not particularly clever.

The Car will park itself using the ultrasonic sensors, but I’ve had that feature on a previous car and hardly ever used it. I paid the extra to get the park pack to get the 360 camera view but feel as if I’ve been a little short-changed.
Unfortunately it now seems beholding on the customer to do loads and loads of research beforehand to make sure they’re getting what they expect to be getting.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
i think it’s pretty clever for what it is - making the most use of the hardware, rather than just providing a single view point like in many other cars. I recall Bjørn commenting how is wished the software in his Model 3 would be updated to provide similar functionality.

It’s long been the case unfortunately that in most cases, when dealing with most companies, the only way to get accurate information is to do the research yourself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately it now seems beholding on the customer to do loads and loads of research beforehand to make sure they’re getting what they expect to be getting.
It’s long been the case unfortunately that in most cases, when dealing with most companies, the only way to get accurate information is to do the research yourself.
So true. It is often the case however that customers already know more than the dealer when it comes to walking into a showroom (Covid permitting), but when ordering ahead of a new model launch, hard facts are hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
The problem with research is that models change. The handbook can claim it has a certain feature then in reality it doesn't as they can and do change specifications and add some features and take some away. Ordering a brand new car is fraught with this issue.

With test drives being difficult it's also had to take a car out long enough to go through every single thing you'd want and need to check. Until you've lived with a car for a while you cannot know whether some features actually work properly.

Some have blind spot monitoring that doesn't work the same as other cars with a feature that's called the same thing. It would take hours and hours to go through every single item. If the sales people don't know then what use are they?

If a dealer says 'it has X' and it doesn't then it's a clear case of 'not as described'. It's hard work to get even a spec sheet out of dealers. I have no idea why this is. It should be mandatory for any car to have a print out with every option and every feature on that car and dealers should be dragged over coals when they fail to know what's what.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
The Citroen magic carpet ride on the eC4 is via progressive hydraulics cushions or fancy bump stops really. Might not even come into play on normal surfaces...

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
It must not remember anything, because you don't want it to show there's plenty of space when in reality other cars have parked nearby while it was switched off.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If a dealer says 'it has X' and it doesn't then it's a clear case of 'not as described'. It's hard work to get even a spec sheet out of dealers. I have no idea why this is. It should be mandatory for any car to have a print out with every option and every feature on that car and dealers should be dragged over coals when they fail to know what's what.
If you can prove in some way you were told it did have that feature you have grounds for rejection.

Also, if you had the car delivered and had not collected it, and did not have a test drive or visit the showroom then it’s a distance sale and you have 14 days to return the car.

Believe me, that threat will have the dealership trying to induce you to keep it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can prove in some way you were told it did have that feature you have grounds for rejection.

Also, if you had the car delivered and had not collected it, and did not have a test drive or visit the showroom then it’s a distance sale and you have 14 days to return the car.

Believe me, that threat will have the dealership trying to induce you to keep it!
Yeah, I know. In actual fact I have a full 12 months to return the car as it stands because under the distance selling regulations if your cancellation rights are not explained to you ie.that you get 14 days to return the vehicle and what they charge for miles you cover whilst you have it in your possession, then you get a full 12 months to return the vehicle.

I even pointed this out to the salesperson when I picked up the car (because I’m nice like that). They said they would send that information on to me (supposedly had a distance selling regulations sheet) but surprise surprise, I’ve not received anything as of yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So any new oppinions on the car?
Well... yes! I'm warming to it.

The ride quality has now proven itself to be a step up from previous cars, and the punchy torque response does in fact show itself, even if it is not so noticeable as in the Outlander. But of course, there is always sport mode ;-)

Efficiency is better than expected (based on video reviews), with the car averaging around 4.4 miles per kWh. And that is in normal mode, not Eco. I did try Eco, but the car got a bit lethargic tackling a moderately steep hill, so back to normal it went. I have not been far enough yet to determine a realistic range figure, and have not yet charged to 100%.

The App works, bluetooth phone integration is fine, and the sound system is quality. The first DAB radio station I tuned into was broadcasting Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight, almost as if the car was deliberately trying to demonstrate it's capability in the bass department in case there was a drumstick-wielding gorilla behind the wheel. (There wasn't - I'm more of a Bonobo!) The not-closing-snugly glove compartment mentioned in an earlier post was Bonobo user error - closes firmly now.

My concerns about the 360° camera function have been somewhat alleviated, because in practice the system seems to work well. The only drawback is it requires two button presses (one hardware then one on touchscreen) to activate the front camera if you have not first selected reverse gear.

Steering at slow speeds is extremely light - I like it, but some would say it feels disconnected from the road. I disagree and feel that it makes for a more effortless drive. Obviously, it stiffens up as speed increases.

The 10" touchscreen is perhaps a litte too dark in so far as the colours chosen. If you happen to be wearing sunglasses, it can be difficult to see. I have yet to find a way to alter the default colour scheme, if indeed it is possible.
I am still getting used to (read ignoring it) the driver's instrument display, which to my mind is a bit odd. It seems cluttered by coloured squares whilst at the same time not really displaying much. Most of the information you need appears on the Head-up display. It appears as if the designers felt that they needed to fill the space with something, and thought that this smallish display flanked by backlit plastic fitted the bill. I suppose it does have purpose when using settings menus accessed using the control stalks, but I still think it fails as a piece of functional design.

I am used to using Waze navigation via CarPlay in the Outlander, but the Waze display presented by the C4 is a smaller, zoomed-in view by comparison. The in-built navigation has a bigger display area, but looks as if it is in night mode (it is not) because of the colours used (grey and black). You can update the maps yourself via a download link and USB thumb drive. CarPlay disables the Bluetooth function, so you cannot have one phone on CarPlay and a second using Bluetooth, as was the case with the Outlander.

I haven't yet been able to try out the ACC/Lane assist yet, but will do so soon.
There is definately no Auto-Hold, so keep foot on brake when stationary.

Cabin room is generous for the overall size of the car, and yes, comfortable to be in.

So in summary, this is not a car that blows me away, but it does offer effortless conveyance from A to B. And so far it has cost me zilch/nada in fuel, thanks to a Rapid charger less than 6 miles away that is on free vend.
If someone is making the switch from ICE to EV, then I'm pretty certain that this car will impress, but if you've been lucky enough to dip your accelerator foot in to pool of various EV's from other manufacturers, then this car will probably deserve the label 'middle of the road'.

Today would be the last day of my right to cancel under the Distance Selling regs, and I'm happy to say that I will not be exercising that option. So I guess that means it's a keeper, and it would take an highly specced Ioniq 5 or EV6 to tempt me away at this point, provided someone was to hand me a large wad of extra cash!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
Good to hear of someone having a positive experience with their new car. (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts