Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
At least they are being honest about there being a cost. A multi-provider SIM like that costs them around 70p/month, so the main cost should be collecting the charge. But they understandably do not say what their charges will be for their software services, but they are unlikely to be free.
My belief is that the product is under there years old so no-one knows the costs.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
220 Posts
Didn't realise that this was a thing - I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I'm always happy to pay for software development and reasonable ongoing costs of running the service. I'd rather not pay for data given that I get a strong wifi signal where the cable lives!

The cynic in me worries that "Look how much you've saved this month vs a standard tariff" will become a prominent selling point, and a charge might be related to (and a significant chunk of) that.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
It is an interesting choice to use only a mobile signal - most places where an Ohme lead is likely to be used as anything other than a dumb lead have WiFi connections. I suspect that it is related to the evolution of the physical product from an existing pEVSE rather than being designed from scratch.

In terms of the costs I think that this is a universal issue for "Smart" EVSE after the OLEV grant period expires. There is a thread elsewhere where Rolec (as an example) got very evasive about future costs for the SaaS elements of their "Smart" product, and Kaluza likewise for their services which are used by a number of makes. Couple that with the nature of some of these "start-up" type companies in terms of long term survival and there may be some disappointment to come.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
We see it a lot with IoT things and its just going to fall to the community at large to work to re-engineer and make it accessible for other routes or turn devices dumb...

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
IoT is still the Wild West - some people do very well out of it but an awful lot get burnt. But in the long term a lot of good will come out of it. The difficulty in the shorter term is knowing which products to back with your investment, particularly if you only take a short term view of the benefits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts