Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November I used an Ohme cable at a Pod Point at Tesco and it got stuck as the Pod Point wouldn't release it even though I had cancelled charging in the Ohme app. I had to call PodPoint and they sent out an engineer who had to power down the Pod Point to release the cable. I had used the Ohme cable on several public Pod Points over the summer without a problem.

Fortunately PodPoint were very helpful and the engineer retrieved my Ohme cable and actually brought it to my house so I didn't have to wait 2 hours at Tesco for him. He actually needed to come anyway as I was having an ongoing issue since June when we got our MG ZS EV with the charge jumping from 30A to 10A and back every few seconds (he fixed that straight away - the clamp that allows the podpoint to detect high current draw from the house and reduces the ampage to stop overloading the house was put the wrong way round on install!)

However afterward PodPoint sent me a letter that said the following:
I'm please to hear that your cable was returned safely and the problem with your home chargepoint has also been resolved.
With regards to your Ohme smart cable, though a great product, we do not permit the use of smart cables and adapters on our public network. The Ohme is classed as a mode 2 (in-cable control unit), IEC 61851 forbids the change of charging modes by adaptors (home wall boxes and public chargers are mode 3). Adaptors on their own need to be approved by the EVSE and or vehicle manufacturer.
For more details about this please head over to Chargers Beware! Converters & adaptors are not permitted on our network | Pod Point

Basically if I hadn't had that issue with my home charger they were saying they could have charged me for the engineer call out as I was breaking their rules. Fortunately it was local so I could have returned to meet him, but what would have happened if I was on a journey for an important meeting?
Anyway I tweeted Ohme at the time and they asked me to DM them but with lockdown and tier 3 we are not going out so I had other stuff to worry about.

But today I rang Ohme and Lilly called me back and gave me more info which I won't share in full but the Podpoint statement is somewhat inaccurate and the problem appears to have started happening recently and Ohme haven't updated their software but maybe PodPoint have?! Also Lilly spent time listening ad giving some feedback to my thoughts regards solar integration and manual setting of current level in the app to get the most benefit from solar which on an average house.day might only kick out 2 or 3KWH. Of course I told her Octopus need to give us all CAD devices such as Combined display and CAD - Hildebrand
which could then talk to the Ohme cable and it could adjust the charging current real time to match net output from solar being returned to the grid.

Hopefully it will get fixed. I got the Ohme for £199 through Octopus to use their Agile tariff so not happy if I have to buy a dumb cable too for another 200 quid!
Wondered if anyone else had the same issue?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
It's not unkown for ordinary dumb cables to get trapped by a puplic EVSE malfunctioning in some way. That's why I've cut away the 3 locking bars at the EVSE end of my type 2 cable, relying on my in-car setting to not release the cable at the end of a charge. Not everyone approves of this practice, but I intend to only use it in dire emergency such as yours, and I for one am not prepared to have to drive off without my cable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not unkown for ordinary dumb cables to get trapped by a puplic EVSE malfunctioning in some way. That's why I've cut away the 3 locking bars at the EVSE end of my type 2 cable, relying on my in-car setting to not release the cable at the end of a charge. Not everyone approves of this practice, but I intend to only use it in dire emergency such as yours, and I for one am not prepared to have to drive off without my cable.
So it can happen even to a dumb cable. Interesting. I guess you can't control bugs in the chargers software!

·
Registered
611 Posts
My guess is that the small draw taken all the time to power the Ohme cable’s electronics and networking was detected and triggered the lock to prevent removal while live.

It’s either off or it’s not....cue finger pointing.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
So it can happen even to a dumb cable. Interesting. I guess you can't control bugs in the chargers software!
It isn't just related to software, more often than not it's related to a mechanical failure (sticking) of the locking pin mechanism and hence applies to both smart and dumb cables.
You commented on stopping the charge via the Ohme. Are you sure that is correct - should you not stop it via the PodPoint App to get the PodPoint to release?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It isn't just related to software, more often than not it's related to a mechanical failure (sticking) of the locking pin mechanism and hence applies to both smart and dumb cables.
You commented on stopping the charge via the Ohme. Are you sure that is correct - should you not stop it via the PodPoint App to get the PodPoint to release?
The nice thing about PodPoint chargers is that once you’ve claimed a charge, you just stop it by disconnecting your car. It stops automatically from there and the cable releases. No app or card needed. The only exception is with their rapids, where you do need to request a stop from the app.

Reactions: Neilew and dk6780

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you're correct. I did stop it with the Pod Point app and it was still locked. The Ohme app was showing Not Connected

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may be being a bit dim here, but why would o/p need to use an Ohme in a public charger? Surely you're expected to charge your car & move on? Not leave it there not charging?
It's the only 7KW cable I have got.
The car only came with a granny cable, which is great for charging when it's sunny and our solar panels are kicking out 3KW or when we go camping and want a free charge.
We also got a pod point fitted free at home but as the MG doesn't have a timer and I wanted to take advantage of Octopus Agile (we have an indoor pool that has lots of pumps etc that can run overnight) so I bought the Ohme cable for half price £199 through Octopus to use mainly at home and only occasionally when further afield. It worked fine if I was out at 3 or 7KW pod point and other suppliers chargers at Tesco, Aldi, Sainsburys etc over the summer until last month when I used one of the new Pod Points with a fancy TV ad screen on it and had this problem. The reality is that I don't really need to charge at Tesco etc locally as we now have a network of more than 40 50KW fast charges installed by Engie, including one a mile away in our local town that I can use to go from 20 to 80% once a week and they are free charging until next October! I just then top up during the week with an hour or so of cheapest rate Octopus Agile. On long distances I have been very impressed with Instavolt across the north and up to Scotland. Just tap your card and charge. No apps.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Are you sure that is correct - should you not stop it via the PodPoint App to get the PodPoint to release?
There's no 'stop a charge' option in the app.

I only know how this applies to the MG, but imagine it's similar for others. Tesco Podpoints won't release my cable until I've disconnected from the car. Then it's not a problem.

·
Registered
611 Posts
There's no 'stop a charge' option in the app.

I only know how this applies to the MG, but imagine it's similar for others. Tesco Podpoints won't release my cable until I've disconnected from the car. Then it's not a problem.
Which would imply that the small current taken by the Ohme to power itself might prevent the unlock....I think this is the crux of the supplier (of the charge point) stance. It’s either off charge or it’s not. Taking a dribble isn’t off.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Well, once the cable's unplugged from the car, the CP signal line must rise to 12V, as there's no load on it. This must tell the Ohme that the car's not there, and in turn it should signal 12V back to the Podpoint by going high impedance (megohms) on the CP line. The Podpoint should see this, open its contactors to prevent any current whatsoever down the mains wires, and unlock the cable. The lack of any mains will shutdown the Ohme, and it's unlikely that anything funny would happen on the CP line to switch in 2 resistors needed to request a new charge (= close contactors & lock cable), so I really cannot see why the cable's being held in place.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
Isn't it an anti-theft feature to stop the cable being taken until PodPoint ends it's window for charging when the originator stops it using the App or RFID card? Once when I couldn't commence a charge due to App issues PodPoint service started it but said that I'd have to phone them again to get the cable to release.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Isn't it an anti-theft feature to stop the cable being taken until PodPoint ends it's window for charging when the originator stops it using the App or RFID card? Once when I couldn't commence a charge due to App issues PodPoint service started it but said that I'd have to phone them again to get the cable to release.
There is no stopping the charge using an app or card. As said, it uses the signal from the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back in November I used an Ohme cable at a Pod Point at Tesco and it got stuck as the Pod Point wouldn't release it even though I had cancelled charging in the Ohme app. I had to call PodPoint and they sent out an engineer who had to power down the Pod Point to release the cable. I had used the Ohme cable on several public Pod Points over the summer without a problem.

Fortunately PodPoint were very helpful and the engineer retrieved my Ohme cable and actually brought it to my house so I didn't have to wait 2 hours at Tesco for him. He actually needed to come anyway as I was having an ongoing issue since June when we got our MG ZS EV with the charge jumping from 30A to 10A and back every few seconds (he fixed that straight away - the clamp that allows the podpoint to detect high current draw from the house and reduces the ampage to stop overloading the house was put the wrong way round on install!)

However afterward PodPoint sent me a letter that said the following:
I'm please to hear that your cable was returned safely and the problem with your home chargepoint has also been resolved.
With regards to your Ohme smart cable, though a great product, we do not permit the use of smart cables and adapters on our public network. The Ohme is classed as a mode 2 (in-cable control unit), IEC 61851 forbids the change of charging modes by adaptors (home wall boxes and public chargers are mode 3). Adaptors on their own need to be approved by the EVSE and or vehicle manufacturer.
For more details about this please head over to Chargers Beware! Converters & adaptors are not permitted on our network | Pod Point

Basically if I hadn't had that issue with my home charger they were saying they could have charged me for the engineer call out as I was breaking their rules. Fortunately it was local so I could have returned to meet him, but what would have happened if I was on a journey for an important meeting?
Anyway I tweeted Ohme at the time and they asked me to DM them but with lockdown and tier 3 we are not going out so I had other stuff to worry about.

But today I rang Ohme and Lilly called me back and gave me more info which I won't share in full but the Podpoint statement is somewhat inaccurate and the problem appears to have started happening recently and Ohme haven't updated their software but maybe PodPoint have?! Also Lilly spent time listening ad giving some feedback to my thoughts regards solar integration and manual setting of current level in the app to get the most benefit from solar which on an average house.day might only kick out 2 or 3KWH. Of course I told her Octopus need to give us all CAD devices such as Combined display and CAD - Hildebrand
which could then talk to the Ohme cable and it could adjust the charging current real time to match net output from solar being returned to the grid.

Hopefully it will get fixed. I got the Ohme for £199 through Octopus to use their Agile tariff so not happy if I have to buy a dumb cable too for another 200 quid!
Wondered if anyone else had the same issue?
So to be clear. The car end was disconnected. The Ohme display was blank. The Ohme app obviously said not connected and STILL the PodPoint wouldn't let go.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Its simple and clear cut to me.

The Ohme is drawing a tiny amount of power and so the podpoint, as would many other units, assumes the car still needs it and thus wont release it.
The controls for this are for safety reasons pure and simple.

The best thing you can do is just get a good used or new cable from ebay or the likes, they can easily be had for under £100 and then use that when away from home.
The Ohme is not really designed for this kind of usage as its acting as the charging point control as well as the podpoint/A N Other charge provider, and thus your having 2 cooks in the kitchen and making a hash of it :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well, once the cable's unplugged from the car, the CP signal line must rise to 12V, as there's no load on it. This must tell the Ohme that the car's not there, and in turn it should signal 12V back to the Podpoint by going high impedance (megohms) on the CP line. The Podpoint should see this, open its contactors to prevent any current whatsoever down the mains wires, and unlock the cable. The lack of any mains will shutdown the Ohme, and it's unlikely that anything funny would happen on the CP line to switch in 2 resistors needed to request a new charge (= close contactors & lock cable), so I really cannot see why the cable's being held in place.
The Ohme doesn’t power off if you stop the charge from the car end. At least mine doesn’t. It stays awake and ready for the app to talk to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts