Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we are buying a second EV, I would like to buy a second 3-pin charging cable (we don't have a home charger installed). I was planning on buying another one from Amazon, but I remembered I can get a hefty discount on an Ohme cable since I am an Octopus customer. I am on Octopus Go, not Octopus Agile though, and I'm not sure what benefits the cable would give me. My understanding is the main benefit of the Ohme cable is linking it to Agile rates, and thus only charging when supply is cheap. Is there a reason to get an Ohme cable if I have no intention of switching to Agile? What if I need to use it on holiday, without any mobile connection - will the cable function as a "dumb" charging cable?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got the ohme but got the 32amp commando socket version instead of the granny end so I can fully charge at the cheap rate. The ohme works dum and it works in smart mode with go/go faster and all electricity companies as its fully customizable in app ie you tell it when your tariff is at its cheapest job done or you just tell it to charge to max asap.

·
Registered
430 Posts
+1 for suggesting getting a 32A commando socket installed and going with that version, so you have the flexibility of 7kW charging. I have the type 2 to type 2 version to make my dumb charger smart and working with Go for my MG (which has no timed charging). My new KIA has built in charge timers so I’ve just set that to the GO Faster hours and turned off all timers in the Ohme app so that it is now a dumb cable (until they fix the issues with the revisions to the KIA api).

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
279 Posts
Does your new car have a charge timer built in? If so then do the maths over how much extra you might save on the agile tariff versus the Go tariff without the smart cable. Being limited to 3.6 kW will constrain your savings either way. The Octupus Go Faster tariff will give you five hours of cheap rate rather than four, albeit a slightly higher cost per kWh. If you are inclined to get the Ohme cable anyway then the commando version with a 32amp supply charging at 7kW gives you more flexibility. Yes, you can use the 3-pin cable like a dumb cable elsewhere.

Bear in mind that the Agile tariff is still a beta service and could be withdrawn. Are you planning to move? If not then why not have a charger installed?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you planning to move? If not then why not have a charger installed?
Because the op already has a charger built in to their ev and just needs a power supply.

Why pay astronomical over inflacted prices for a plastic box to be installed that has exactly the same contents as the £199 Ohme?

But hey everyone's different its what makes life interesting.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you planning to move? If not then why not have a charger installed?
At some point, yes. We currently rent, and while our landlords have no issues with us installing a charger, we decided it wasn't worth it for the 1-2 years we have left in this house. Hopefully once we move we'll find a longer-term place and get a nice charger installed. In the meantime, however, my commute is only 22 miles, and so it isn't hard to keep the car(s) charged off 3-pins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts