Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have been leaving mine attached all the time, it is on an external wall with a slight overhang and the unit itself hangs on a hook 30cm off the gravel. The cable is also off the ground, looped around a hanger which has a socket for the plug.

It is attached to a commando socket which is switched off when not in use.

I did however leave the plug hanging down with its rubber cover on. In the heavy rain it filled with water 🥺, so had to be brought in doors to dry.

Am now trying it stored on the hanger with the plug in the holder (no rubber cover) but wondering if I should be ar**d to take it indoors after use.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
389 Posts
I've been leaving mine out, but the torrential rain we've been having in the last week or so gave me cause to bring it in!

Having unscrewed the collar of the Commando plug, it was quite wet underneath, around the cable, although it didn't look like water had got through to the terminals. As above, the rubber cap on the Type 2 end seems to be worse than nothing at all. Just fills with water. I leave it off now, with the plug pointing downwards.

I won't be bringing my cable indoors habitually, but might do if a long wet spell is forecast.

Reactions: kcrane and MikeS

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
364 Posts
I unplug it every time after use and store (in its bag) either in the car or indoors. I have the Commando version.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have to, it's attached to the wall! The drainage holes stop any standing water but I was quite concerned with all the rain we've had.

It's IP55 rated so it'll be fine until you come at it with a pressure washer.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ah, I did a quick search and ended up somewhere else showing IP55: https://www.europacomponents.com/pdfs/Ohme_EV_Datasheet.pdf
Ohme's official docs are probably more accurate, although it does say IP54 + partial submersion, I guess it's fine in heavy rain?

I’ve put mine in a wall box now, I wasn’t happy with the way the water sat in the top of the unit.

The new ones have drainage holes, bit of an initial oversight on their part.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,251 Posts
I'd recommend that you watch @mikeselectricstuff teardown of an earlier iteration of the Ohme charge point. The seal on the case itself is not ideally constructed although they may have since improved that at the same time as providing the drainage slots.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Mine is wall mounted in the garage underneath the old charge-point which has a new life as a cable reel. Again commando version. Didn’t fancy it outside as they are pretty ugly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts