Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first thread and need some help/advice please.

Got a 32a interlocked commando socket and OHME cable.

Got a fault where the cable will flash the orange indicator (electrical fault). OHME have looked at the logs and say it is over voltage, although confirmed never exceeded 240v.

Set up is the house is TT earth. Feed from main consumer unit to garage is 6mm cable of approx 13M run. This is on a 32a breaker. Garage then has a lighting circuit, 13amp socket circuit and the commando socket. This is fed with 6mm cable of approx 7M run.

Socket has a earth rod installed, although I believe not required as house is TT so it could use the earth core in the cable back to the consumer unit and to the main house earth rod?

When it works the cable is saying charging at 6.8KwH and 30amps.

I get between a few minutes of charging to an hour before it 'trips' and flashes the electrical fault.

The mcbs never trip. Nothing gets hot. No indication as to why the ohme trips out.

Help please!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just done a quick search and found this thread: 32A Commando OHME EVSE

Sounds like the same issue and Ohme sent out a replacement cable that sorted the problem.

Also, it sounds like you could potentially overload your garage circuit if you've got your car plugged in pulling 32a, other appliances in the double socket and your lighting, all on a 32a breaker.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Also, it sounds like you could potentially overload your garage circuit if you've got your car plugged in pulling 32a, other appliances in the double socket and your lighting, all on a 32a breaker.
I would not consider this to be an issue unless there is a freezer in the garage. It is unlikely a 32 amp breaker will trip due to the car taking 32amp and a light being turned on. If the breaker trips due using power tools (etc), I would soon learn to unplug the car the very few times in a year I need to use sockets in a garage.

(It is also possible that the 32amp breaker could be replaced with a 40amp breaker after an aproved person has done the calculations.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just done a quick search and found this thread: 32A Commando OHME EVSE

Sounds like the same issue and Ohme sent out a replacement cable that sorted the problem.

Thank you will look at that thread now.

The feed from the house to the garage is going to be upgraded to 16mm/63amp mcb due to other future requirements in the garage.

Car is only charged overnight (or will be) and there is nothing that will be on in the garage overnight. So at the moment happy it is all safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not consider this to be an issue unless there is a freezer in the garage. It is unlikely a 32 amp breaker will trip due to the car taking 32amp and a light being turned on. If the breaker trips due using power tools (etc), I would soon learn to unplug the car the very few times in a year I need to use sockets in a garage.

(It is also possible that the 32amp breaker could be replaced with a 40amp breaker after an aproved person has done the calculations.)
There is nothing run in the garage apart from the odd power tools, and that is during the day only. Car will charge at night so I am with you that it is fine with my usage pattern.

Although the feed will be upgraded from house to garage in the future to allow for other requirements (compressor and welder, not currently installed)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts