Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for a sanity check.

Ordered a new Zoe so chargemaster will fit a free 7kw charger.

I'm thinking to have the socketed version and initially I'll use the cable that comes with the car. Eventually, buy an Ohme cable, possibly paired with an agile tariff.

Quoted £485, after grant, to just go straight to installing an ohme wall charger so price wise not a lot in it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Currently Octopus customers can buy an Ohme cable for £200.
Having a separate Ohme cable gives you more flexibility if a friend visits with a car with a type 1 connector.
The separate Ohme cable allows you to use it to slow the rate of charging at other locations if you wished.
If you move you can take the Ohme cable with you.
There is little point in the Ohme cable in comparison to the Chargemaster unless you use a time of use tarrif such as Go or want to restrict the maximum charge %

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. Plan is once I've been using the car for a few months to see if an agile tariff is worthwhile. I suspect given my usage patterns that a simple cheap overnight tariff would be enough but this way I have choices.

Saw that octopus did an offer previously, but I think it might have finished now?

Edit: found the half price link now... will have to do some quick math ;-)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I suggest that you move to Octopus Go now as you'll save money and it is a "simple overnight plan". There is sometimes a delay getting onto it so go through the pain now. Then you can move to Agile later when/if you are ready.
The chargemaster unit and app will allow you to delay charge and benefit from the cheap period on Go so only get the Ohme unit when you are ready to move to Agile.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suggest that you move to Octopus Go now as you'll save money and it is a "simple overnight plan". There is sometimes a delay getting onto it so go through the pain now. Then you can move to Agile later when/if you are ready.
The chargemaster unit and app will allow you to delay charge and benefit from the cheap period on Go so only get the Ohme unit when you are ready to move to Agile.
I use 4000 kWh per year without an electric car and I calculated that as long as I charge on average <6 hours per day, it'll be cheaper to switch to Octopus Go (estimating 12-13k miles per year with 90% of that coming from home charging). So I suspect Octopus Go would work out cheaper for a huge majority of EV owners compared to the best single-rate tariff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts