Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on Octopus Agile. I like the idea of getting a smart home chargepoint that can intelligently exploit the Agile half hour tariff. Ohme fits the bill on paper.

Anyone out there with recent experience of this combination, good or bad?

Car is an iPace, shortly to be joined by a second one.

Registered
I'm on Octopus Agile. I like the idea of getting a smart home chargepoint that can intelligently exploit the Agile half hour tariff. Ohme fits the bill on paper.

Well, I'm a bit like you only the opposite way round. I have just had an Ohme wall charger installed and although I'm with Octopus, I'm in the queue for a smart meter to be installed. I've been waiting since about February but installations were halted because of the pandemic.

I read a number of reviews and opinions regarding a tariff/charger combination and concluded Agile/Ohme was the way to go.

Registered
Hello again 馃ぃ馃檲

I have the same setup but use it with a Leaf 40 currently and went with the cheaper option of a commando socket and the discounted unit from octopus.

The most annoying thing I've had is that in the app you can't set the rate at one lower than what's in the current viewing window.
IE if the cheapest rate over the next 24hrs is 5p, you can't set it to charge at 3p.

It seems to do the job nicely and you can have multiple schedules setup but not multiple cars.

This could cause an issue if the Ipace you have plugged in is on 30% but the one that's linked to the Ohme account is on 90%.
I don't think it has a way to sense the charge level in the car from the cable currently but it's good in that you can just remove the car and let it charge at full rate when the rate is low enough.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.

Car is an iPace, shortly to be joined by a second one.
I am just having a mini-moan about it on another thread. Clearly the charger hardware is great, but the functionality of the software in the app may be questionable for you. It seems to be completely geared towards people who only think of charging in terms of 'how far next' and 'by when'. I want 'let's throw some charge into it while rates are cheap' and then you do this little song-and-dance act with the app to contrive an imaginary journey to set distance and timing to get it to start.

I will be offering Ohme the benefit of my long standing EV experience and preferences!! ;) But the hardware itself is fine, and you can use it just as a dumb charger like any other.

Registered
I am just having a mini-moan about it on another thread. Clearly the charger hardware is great, but the functionality of the software in the app may be questionable for you. It seems to be completely geared towards people who only think of charging in terms of 'how far next' and 'by when'. I want 'let's throw some charge into it while rates are cheap' and then you do this little song-and-dance act with the app to contrive an imaginary journey to set distance and timing to get it to start.

I will be offering Ohme the benefit of my long standing EV experience and preferences!! ;) But the hardware itself is fine, and you can use it just as a dumb charger like any other.
I just have a 100% charge schedule set for the price plunges.

It is a bit of a pain though sometimes I agree.

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again 馃ぃ馃檲

I have the same setup but use it with a Leaf 40 currently and went with the cheaper option of a commando socket and the discounted unit from octopus.

The most annoying thing I've had is that in the app you can't set the rate at one lower than what's in the current viewing window.
IE if the cheapest rate over the next 24hrs is 5p, you can't set it to charge at 3p.

It seems to do the job nicely and you can have multiple schedules setup but not multiple cars.

This could cause an issue if the Ipace you have plugged in is on 30% but the one that's linked to the Ohme account is on 90%.
I don't think it has a way to sense the charge level in the car from the cable currently but it's good in that you can just remove the car and let it charge at full rate when the rate is low enough.
Hi KP

Thank you. Ah that two-car deficiency is a thing. I'll ask Ohme about it.

Hello again 馃ぃ馃檲

This gives me good ammunition for the 'Ohme-Lite' app that I am going to ask for.

I think I have an idea of the required functionality/features, now.

Registered
It's a pain but I think Donald's suggestion of an Ohme lite is a good one.
Just stick in that you want it to charge when ever pricing is below a certain amount and as some would say, let her rip tater chip!

Currently having 3 EVs in a house makes it a bit more cumbersome as well but hey, last night I broke out the two granny chargers and at one point we were drawing 52amps down in charging alone, maybe a smidge more 馃槑

Registered
It's a pain but I think Donald's suggestion of an Ohme lite is a good one.
Just stick in that you want it to charge when ever pricing is below a certain amount and as some would say, let her rip tater chip!

Currently having 3 EVs in a house makes it a bit more cumbersome as well but hey, last night I broke out the two granny chargers and at one point we were drawing 52amps down in charging alone, maybe a smidge more 馃槑
What a coincidence that it was plunge pricing overnight. ;)

Evezy referral code: d4113

I've got the ohme cable and the app, but not the meter or the tariff yet (delayed due to virus)
I think I want exactly the same as you Donald effectively to cherry pick the cheapest time slots, but I'd assumed it was quite possible by simply changing the "never charge above" value (possibly on a daily basis) and then just plugin it in to just charge at those time slots it advises you of. So to try and be clearer, I'd assumed you could by-pass all the charge schedules stuff by toggling on the "never charge above" option. setting your max ppkwh value, YES to "Max Price Update" and then just leaving it to charge in those time slots that come up on the screen. Is that not the case Donald? have I completely misunderstood how it could be used?

I've got the ohme cable and the app, but not the meter or the tariff yet (delayed due to virus)
I think I want exactly the same as you Donald effectively to cherry pick the cheapest time slots, but I'd assumed it was quite possible by simply changing the "never charge above" value (possibly on a daily basis) and then just plugin it in to just charge at those time slots it advises you of. So to try and be clearer, I'd assumed you could by-pass all the charge schedules stuff by toggling on the "never charge above" option. setting your max ppkwh value, YES to "Max Price Update" and then just leaving it to charge in those time slots that come up on the screen. Is that not the case Donald? have I completely misunderstood how it could be used?
If it is possible, I cannot see how.

Indeed, at least a button that says 'just charge (within price constraint)' would be 'enough', but alas, it seems that "NEVER charge above X" doesn't quite mean 'never' and only activates when undertaking a scheduled charge.

It might well be me, I can be a big dullard on these techno-matters sometimes, but I wrestled with it for a long time to no avail.

If it is possible, I cannot see how.

Indeed, at least a button that says 'just charge (within price constraint)' would be 'enough', but alas, it seems that "NEVER charge above X" doesn't quite mean 'never' and only activates when undertaking a scheduled charge.

It might well be me, I can be a big dullard on these techno-matters sometimes, but I wrestled with it for a long time to no avail.
All that I've written above is completely based on what I've assumed would happen (I've only used it as a dumb charger so far whilst on a temp flat rate tariff) so very much accept your experience, that what I've assumed is actually not going to be the case. I agree a simple toggle button in that menu - Just charge in these Max Price Limit times? off/on - sounds like a simple thing to set up in my simple none tech mind.

All that I've written above is completely based on what I've assumed would happen (I've only used it as a dumb charger so far whilst on a temp flat rate tariff) so very much accept your experience, that what I've assumed is actually not going to be the case. I agree a simple toggle button in that menu - Just charge in these Max Price Limit times? off/on - sounds like a simple thing to set up in my simple none tech mind.
It'll be good for lots of eyes and thumbs to be over this, perhaps someone will figure out a convenient way given the app as it is at the moment. Look forward for your comments after a go with it, you might be more successful.

I mean, 'it works', and I guess we will get used to it, but a bit of a faff, I'd say.

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
Discussion Starter #14
Well that was a good shout KP. It's a problem if you have two cars and one Ohme unit. The workround is very messy. This is what they said:

Ohme said:
We currently are only able to support one car at any one time with a single charger. We will be looking to support the use of multiple cars in the future. For the moment each time you switch to charge a different car you will need to change the car in the settings and log in with the appropriate Jaguar account for the Ohme to see the battery current state of charge.

Registered
Yeah it's not workable really unless they come up with the blank profile or Lite application instead to just charge when it's cheap.

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes. I've asked them fo a tech document on how it works with Agile and they haven't got one. So I've gone from interested to totally frustrated in 48 hours....! Hey ho.

@Kingpleb1 @donald so what are you guys doing with the schedules to make the ohme charger just simply always charge below the never charge above X ppkwh ? Or is it just as simple as setting all the parameters as open ended as possible ie don't over think it.

Registered
Currently I adjust the time slider on mine to get it to squash in as much juice as possible in the negative plunges but keep the threshold at 0p.
On Sunday I spent 22p(!) On electric instead of the normal 拢1.2-拢2 normally done and managed to suck in 69kw of juice across 3 EVs. 1 on the Ohme and the other two on granny with smart plugs.
The leaf that was plugged into the Ohme was at about 20% when the charging cycles started and just came up to full before the last slot finished

It's like @Kingpleb1 said.

You have two sliders for total mileage taken on board and length of time charging. You have to faff around with those inventing an imaginary journey tomorrow before it will let you do that.

It's possible to do 'that', it's just a faff.

I think the idea is for people that don't like thinking too hard, and they just set a daily routine and a maximum charge rate. Presumably these people may be pleasantly surprised the next day if their car charges up on cheap rates, or disappointed if it doesn't.

It seems to me to be completely misunderstanding the concept. I mean, if you weren't going to look at the 'actual' rates and decide if you needed a charge that night, then presumably you might be left in the morning with no charge at all if it happened to be a night of high prices.

Really .... I don't understand the logic of the app.

Sure. Have a timer for daily charging.

Sure. Have a facility to charge at a particular rate.

But, errr ... you can't combine those two functions. You'll never know from one day to next if you are going to get a charge!

Reactions: Kingpleb1

EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, what I was hoping for was (a) a chargepoint that has knowledge of the tariff rates, per half hour, downloaded daily; (b) optionally, a setting for %charged you want to be otherwise defaults to 100%; and /or c) optionally, a "ready" time or if not, ability to set a default (eg 7am next day).

The chargepoint device then picks the number of half hour slots it needs to reach the target % by the target time, and switches charging on and off at each half-hour boundary to achieve that at the lowest overall session cost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts