Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, New in this forum and looking for possible insight and guidance in the install of home charging set up.

I have ordered Mercedes EQC and will be switching to Octupus energy tarriff and taking advantage of the the type 2 commando socket charger they have on offer for £199.

I would then look to have a fix install set up with this. I don't qualify for any OLEV grants so would use a local electrician to wire and install the commando socket and fix this to as near a point as possible to where my car is parked. I have checked with local council and as long as I have pedestrian cable cover and warning sign of trip hazard they have no issue. So some questions:

Based on my install. Is my proposed approach the best, am I on the right track, anything I have missed and should further consider.
Is there much difference between the OHME mobile charging cable and the fixed wall charger. To me it looks very similar.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
I dont think there's much difference between the mobile cable and my fixed one. You would have the commando plug where mine goes into the sqaure junction box.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gaz. Can you advise how long the cable is from the ohme base unit to the car connector. I think I need around 4metres from the unit to the car

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
763 Posts
How easy it is to install a Commando for the OHME very much depends on your existing electrical supply. Whether you have a big enough main fuse, a spare way in the consumer unit, and the earthing arrangements in particular. Do make sure your installation is compliant for an EV chargepoint, which is a higher bar than the Commando socket itself.

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
Thanks gaz. Can you advise how long the cable is from the ohme base unit to the car connector. I think I need around 4metres from the unit to the car
Mine is standard 5 metres from plug to ohme unit. 4 metres should be fine, you will also get a bit extra because the short bit of cable between commando and unit by going for the mobile version.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How easy it is to install a Commando for the OHME very much depends on your existing electrical supply. Whether you have a big enough main fuse, a spare way in the consumer unit, and the earthing arrangements in particular. Do make sure your installation is compliant for an EV chargepoint, which is a higher bar than the Commando socket itself.
Thanks rich

I have a crabtree loadstar 10 way flexible dual rcd, can i run a spur from this to the commando socket directly

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Thanks rich

I have a crabtree loadstar 10 way flexible dual rcd, can i run a spur from this to the commando socket directly
Do you mean directly from the main switch or via an MCB? You will need to consider what Earth protection you want as ideally if it trips you don't want it turning off the rest of the house as well.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
763 Posts
Thanks rich

You'll need to check with an electrician (which I'm not).

If you can find out what rating your main fuse (cut-out) is, and what other circuits you have somebody might be able to advise. You'll also need to check what earth type you have. If your house has its own earth rod, things are easier; if you take an earth from the supplier, you'll need separate earth protection for the socket.

(Google PEN fault protection for full details).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,571 Posts
The Matt:e box as a dedicated consumer unit for the ohme covers this, and this approach is often preferable to tinkering with the main house board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts