Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had our Ohme installed around 10 days ago, I am noting that the power is tapering down at intervals. It starts at 32a and then tapers off to 18a, even down to 6a at one stage. It all seems a bit unstable.

The earth rod is buried in the flower bed in front of the garage wall that the unit is installed on. Because it was on the edge of the lawn we have since channelled a bit of lawn away and filled it with stones (extended the width of the border that it is on) so as to ensure that the rod is not on the lawn and we won't go near it with the mower.

What might be causing the power tapering and do we need the fitter back?. I am worried that we have disturbed the rod and that is the cause of the issue.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you measuring the current?
From the little display on the unit itself which shows voltage, current and power readings. I can also see from watching the 'right now' power consumption reading on the in house display for the smart meter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It may be the settings you have for the Ohme charger. It can vary the rate of charge depending on carbon intensity & price. You can change/disable them in the settings.
For example, we used ours to charge our Zoe from 50% to 80% last night during the 4 hours on the Go Faster tariff. It charged at about 4kW for the first half hour, stoped for the next half hour and then gradually ramped up from 4kW during the rest of the charging period to achieve the 80% by the end of the charge.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be the settings you have for the Ohme charger. It can vary the rate of charge depending on carbon intensity & price. You can change/disable them in the settings.
For example, we used ours to charge our Zoe from 50% to 80% last night during the 4 hours on the Go Faster tariff. It charged at about 4kW for the first half hour, stoped for the next half hour and then gradually ramped up from 4kW during the rest of the charging period to achieve the 80% by the end of the charge.
Really - I didn't know it did that. I just thought that it was either on or off, i.e. charging or not charging in specific periods, to achieve the target. I didn't realise that it would charge but at a lower rate of charge during its 'on' periods as well. I was just testing it on a plug in and go basis using fast charge after doing the ground work around the earth rod, to make sure it was still working, so I only had it plugged in and charging for about half an hour because I was on peak rate and would normally do it at night.

Just checked my settings, and it did have 'Favour Green Energy' and 'Optimize for Battery Life' both switched on.

If that is the case, it may explain it. I think I need to do a proper overnight test to 80% and see if it achieves it.

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
It does indeed modulate charging current to give the cheapest/lowest carbon periods (which might not be the same timings).

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
I wish these readings were displayed inside the app!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts