Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

My Ohme charger stopped working yesterday. It was used outside, installed on a wall. My guess is that factory seals are not as waterproof. So for everyone using it outside beware that it may stop working after you have a heavy rain for couple of days.

Circuit component Green Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring

I'm going to re-crimp wires dry it out and see if it still works.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Was this permanently wall mounted?

I hang mine up each time on a series of hooks with tiewraps attached permanently to the Ohme.
I use a stick at the bottom to stop it twisting so is flat to the wall.
I wasn't overly impressed with the seal on the top and felt water could sit on it, at one stage I considered mounting it sideways or putting a cover over it but it's only outside when in use.
I did think perhaps a piece of rubber at the top might be worthwhile to deflect most of the rain away from it but figured they should have made the thing well enough. Evidently not.

You know about the bag of rice trick, right?

Gaz

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this permanently wall mounted?

I hang mine up each time on a series of hooks with tiewraps attached permanently to the Ohme.
I use a stick at the bottom to stop it twisting so is flat to the wall.
I wasn't overly impressed with the seal on the top and felt water could sit on it, at one stage I considered mounting it sideways or putting a cover over it but it's only outside when in use.
I did think perhaps a piece of rubber at the top might be worthwhile to deflect most of the rain away from it but figured they should have made the thing well enough. Evidently not.

You know about the bag of rice trick, right?

Gaz
Yes, it was permanently mounted vertically. I was worries about that seal around the cable as well and it looks like it leaked exactly there. I'll check if it works, but if it does I need to think on how to seal properly as it is a moving part. I might use some sort of glue from inside and outside, need to think.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Mine was mounted horizontally in the garage. It made more sense having the tethered cable pointing to the car. TBH it's not the easiest thing to mount with a commando.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yes, it was permanently mounted vertically. I was worries about that seal around the cable as well and it looks like it leaked exactly there. I'll check if it works, but if it does I need to think on how to seal properly as it is a moving part. I might use some sort of glue from inside and outside, need to think.
My idea was to put a thin neoprene rubber sheet round the cable, just above the gland and tiewrap it on like a little cape.
It would allow movement but also cover the top pretty well but it would need a thicker piece of rubber on top of the unit too as it seems prone to water sitting on it. So I scrapped that idea and thought of just having a flap of rubber matting attached behind the unit (all the way down) with enough to flap over the top and shield it from the heaviest downpour.
wind could be an issue but easily solved.
The existing gland is probably good enough if kept largely dry.

Could yours have suffered from drying out and cracking due to the heatwave and prolonged sun?
Perhaps a wind or two of self amalgamating tape would be good enough to restore it if it's going to be shielded as above otherwise just relace it with something, possibly swap with the bottom one if that's in good order.
I've not really looked that closely at mine, TBH.

Gaz

• Helpful
Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Mine was mounted horizontally in the garage. It made more sense having the tethered cable pointing to the car. TBH it's not the easiest thing to mount with a commando.
I was gutted when I read that the lead was a metre long but more like 10 inches when it turned up.
Tight bastards!

Gaz

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,305 Posts
Hi Folks,

My Ohme charger stopped working yesterday. It was used outside, installed on a wall. My guess is that factory seals are not as waterproof. So for everyone using it outside beware that it may stop working after you have a heavy rain for couple of days.

View attachment 169434

I'm going to re-crimp wires dry it out and see if it still works.
You should put a support ticket into Ohme, they’re very helpful.

There was a cable gland recall on these units, mine was recalled, although hadn’t failed.

I used mine as a sort of permanently tethered unit so mounted it in a water resistant box.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The first thing I did was removed the Commando plug and fitted an IP65 one, looks nicer too.

Gaz

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should put a support ticket into Ohme, they’re very helpful.

There was a cable gland recall on these units, mine was recalled, although hadn’t failed.

I used mine as a sort of permanently tethered unit so mounted it in a water resistant box.

yeah, i did even before i've opened it. Unfortunately it is out of warranty.
I've just replace the fried cable, but charger is dead for good. I didn't notice at first, but the live post connection to PCB is fried. Basically looks like lines on PCB are gone. Probably I could re-solder it, but I don't think my skills are good enough or it will even work and something else is fried as well.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I've just replace the fried cable, but charger is dead for good. I didn't notice at first, but the live post connection to PCB is fried. Basically looks like lines on PCB are gone. Probably I could re-solder it, but I don't think my skills are good enough or it will even work and something else is fried as well.
There were a couple for sale on here recently.
I believe one was T2 input but it doesn't matter if hard wiring.

Gaz

·
Registered
166 Posts
I might have a spare soon.

They kindly swapped my type2>type2 one for a type2 > Type1 when I got my leaf (had a lease Ioniq before the leaf) I doubt they'll be so keen to swap it back to a type2 connector.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've just replace the fried cable, but charger is dead for good. I didn't notice at first, but the live post connection to PCB is fried.
Hi sorry that this has happened and thanks for taking the time to give folks the heads up. Today I finally got our car off the Granny charger and I have just had an electrician install a commando socket and an Ohme like yours. I have noted the design has a water trap that allows water to stand. We tried to angle the box but the location didn't allow it.

How long did you have yours mounted vertical?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi sorry that this has happened and thanks for taking the time to give folks the heads up. Today I finally got our car off the Granny charger and I have just had an electrician install a commando socket and an Ohme like yours. I have noted the design has a water trap that allows water to stand. We tried to angle the box but the location didn't allow it.

How long did you have yours mounted vertical?
It was mounted vertically with Type 2 side looking up. By doing some investigation I'm pretty sure that ingress happened via rubber seal of around the cable

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry probably should have waited until I was somewhere where I had more time to type

replacing the leaf within the next couple weeks and hopefully selling it (or it will probably just sit depreciating). So I may have a unit spare If you fancy stripping it down and changing the end connectors

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition 77Kw
433 Posts
This was my solution, installed over 18+ months, I didn't trust the Ohme unit to be fully IP rated, so added the additional enclosure. Window cut into the front to see the status display, plus drain hole incase water does get in.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is my set up as installed yesterday and if I had seen this thread before hand I could have maybe got the sparky to do it differently but alas not...

Brick Brickwork Road surface Wall Wood

I hope at some stage for the garage to be taken down and rebuilt but as it has a shared wall with my neighbour I can't do that until he is ready and alas what I hope is a temporary solution might last longer as ever since we moved into the house the garage rebuild is on our to do list but 20 years on the various neighbours have not had it on theirs.

This next photo for those that don't know the charger shows the design that allows water to sit an not drain.

Wood Gas Plant Electrical wiring Electrical supply

The dust in the cable grommet area shows the problem well.

I might try and contruct a small plastic cover to try and divert any water from this area but any water hitting the cable will be directed to the danger area...

Of course I could maybe just use some silicon around the cable join area.

Edited to wonder if I could use one of these to fill the top area?

I will ponder the best course of action.

My unit on the back says it is IP54 rated but their web site says IP55 I bought mine second hand (from the forum here) so perhaps older stock was IP54 and they discovered an issue and updated the design for new stock?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts