Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm trying to set my ohme up to talk to my VW account, but it comes back with "please check details" I know they are 100% correct. Is anyone else having his issue? Are there any options I need to turn on anywhere to tell My VW to allow Ohme to receive my data?

·
Registered
444 Posts
As I said in the other post, Ohme can't get the car information from VW because VW haven't released the API access that allows third parties to interrogate the vehicle status.

You dont need the connection to VW for it to work, I've had my Ohme for 6 months and it works perfectly well without the link to the car. Just set the charge limit to whatever you want it to be in either the car or the VW app and set your Ohme accordingly.

Just use the "connect without account" option. You can specify an ID3 after that.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
As I said in the other post, Ohme can't get the car information from VW because VW haven't released the API access that allows third parties to interrogate the vehicle status.

You dont need the connection to VW for it to work, I've had my Ohme for 6 months and it works perfectly well without the link to the car. Just set the charge limit to whatever you want it to be in either the car or the VW app and set your Ohme accordingly.

Just use the "connect without account" option. You can specify an ID3 after that.
Agreed after some trial and error, and advice on here, it's been pretty solid and predictable charging.

·
Registered
618 Posts
On the subject of Ohme...

The whole Ohme not knowing what % charge its starting at is pretty poor. I was sold on the Ohme based on it being the smartest charger you could get for sensible money. I use the weconnect app to find out what % the battery is at as it's charging. If the Ohme doesn't know where its starting at, I presume the battery score and cycle % ratings its giving out are complete bollocks?

I can't imagine charging 20% to 80% is tough on the battery's longevity on a domestic 7.2kWh charge, yet unless you let the Ohme work at less than optimum rate and taper off, as well as putting in less than 50% on a single charge, the 5 lightning bolt rating drops to 2 or 3.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I presume the battery score and cycle % ratings its giving out are complete bollocks?
In a word, yes.

VW don't yet widely share the server status of your car with third parties via an official API which is not surprising given that they can't get their own app up to speed yet.

As a result Ohme has taken a view based on WLTP figures when it comes to adding mileage so you're never adding the miles it states.

If you're on 2.1, the app will tell you the battery to a single % figure. You can do a bit of simple maths to ask Ohme to add the required charge. Not perfect but given the current lack of an open api, not surprising. I like how Ohme will regulate the output to match cheaper tariffs. I've seen the Ohme unit reading 4 and 10 amps whilst "trickle charging" waiting for the cheap rates.

Maybe this is what the fix above was mentioning?

EDIT: Some clever Germans have managed to reverse engineer their way into the app backend with mixed success which explains why third parties are not yet doing it officially. Here

It confirms that only the server version of your car is interrogated which means that poor signal or polling restrictions can make it difficult for third parties to get a reliable status of your car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
At the risk of being pedantic. It was never a feature to have a link to the car and thus was never broken and can't be fixed.

If it's a new feature, then that hopefully means that VW are improving their app as part of the next OTA process.

·
Registered
618 Posts
At the risk of being pedantic. It was never a feature to have a link to the car and thus was never broken and can't be fixed.

If it's a new feature, then that hopefully means that VW are improving their app as part of the next OTA process.
I wouldn't mind at all if tge Ohme app and We Connect app weren't linked. However, it would be nice if the Ohme could recognise you have 40% charge in the car so you can instantly see you only need another 40% to get you to 80%, or you can tell the Ohme to get you to 80%, rather than telling it to add X% which may be more than the uncharged capacity of the car

·
Registered
444 Posts
Very true, that would be convenient.

The problem (as I understand it anyway) is that lots of chargers (Ohme) included don't seem to recognise the battery state. Not sure why as DC fast chargers recognise it.

That means that there needs to be another way of working that out which usually means through the api.

If the "fix" is to be able to read battery state on plug in, then winner. The Ohme app will just need an update to its gui.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts