Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Ohme charger be fitted without an earthing Rod. It will be quite a task to sink one near my house foundations due to services ect and tarmacked drive way

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
According to the regs, an earth rod is required (edited for clarity). However... you could use an external pen fault detection device. Something like this: Single Phase EV Voltage Monitoring and Protection Unit with Type A RCBO

Depending on how it’s all being wired in, treat the MATT:e box as a consumer unit fed directly from the meter. You might need to get a specific version for that but I know they do one. Otherwise you’d just need to have it inline from your consumer unit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had an Ohme fitted recently. The installation company told me prior to the visit that an earthing rod wouldn't be needed because the charger was being installed in the garage. However, I discovered after the installer had finished that he'd decided to put one in anyway (at no extra cost to me). I asked him about it and he said that it was such a simple job (he put it in the drive just under the meter box), he thought he'd do it anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts