Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm delighted to report that Ohme can now effectively and reliably schedule-charge the MG ZS EV! Not using so-called "trickle-charging", but keeping the car awake without incurring any electricity costs outside of the timed charging window. The Ohme engineers have been remotely connected to mine and other folks' chargers (with their knowledge and consent, of course :)) over the last week or two, developing and testing the fix. After sufficient testing they have now allowed me to "go public" with this great news, so others can benefit. If you have an Ohme charger, they can update it over the air so the fix is automatically installed. If you select "MG ZS EV" as the vehicle type, then the charger will use this fix to keep the car awake and start charging at the scheduled time.
I'm sure other EVSE ("smart charger") vendors will come up with their own fixes over time, but it's great to see that Ohme have been the first to respond to this need and act on behalf of their customers with MG vehicles.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm delighted to report that Ohme can now effectively and reliably schedule-charge the MG ZS EV! Not using so-called "trickle-charging", but keeping the car awake without incurring any electricity costs outside of the timed charging window. The Ohme engineers have been remotely connected to mine and other folks' chargers (with their knowledge and consent, of course :)) over the last week or two, developing and testing the fix. After sufficient testing they have now allowed me to "go public" with this great news, so others can benefit. If you have an Ohme charger, they can update it over the air so the fix is automatically installed. If you select "MG ZS EV" as the vehicle type, then the charger will use this fix to keep the car awake and start charging at the scheduled time.
I'm sure other EVSE ("smart charger") vendors will come up with their own fixes over time, but it's great to see that Ohme have been the first to respond to this need and act on behalf of their customers with MG vehicles.
That really is fantastic news !.
Congrats and well done to everybody who was involved the fix !.
Come on Rolec !.
If they can do it, surely you have to step up to the plate now !.
You are one of the two nominated companies recommended by MG for their wall box units to suit the ZS EV.
Whoops !.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be talking to my MG dealer this morning, to ask them to change their recommendation from Rolec to Ohme. Otherwise they're letting their customers down by landing them with a charger which doesn't work for their car, whereas there is one that does! Ohme is also the only charger I know of which works with Agile Octopus tariff (which I've just switched to) - so it's a double-whammy!
There is also an offer on at the moment with Octopus, whereby if you switch to Octopus you can order an Ohme charger from them for £200 - that's cheaper than the installation cost of another type including the government grant! - Even if you have a charger already, the Ohme unit can be supplied as a "cable" which plugs into your existing charger (Type 2 or Commando socket), turning it into a full featured smart scheduled charger (with Agile support). - what's not to like? :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good question, but no, not really. the act of monitoring the charging port takes negligable power, so it's like the vehicle alarm on your old fossil car, on all the time but with negligable power draw.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very good news indeed.
I like that a supplier of a non-recommend charger has spent the time and effort to sort this out, when it really should be MG pulling out all the stops to get it fixed correctly.
Bonus kudos to OMHE
Minus a few million kudos to MG.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed! To try and be fair to the MG factory (SAIC) they did release a software upgrade for the Battery Management System of the MG, but unfortunately they fixed the wrong problem. They assumed that EVSE units would be powered down by default, and power up at the scheduled time. This is of course not the case with "smart" chargers, which need to be powered all the time, so the car still doesn't work with these (except with Ohme :)). Now we need MG UK to recognise this issue and switch from recommending Rolec to Ohme - otherwise I beleive the're doing a dis-service to their customers by recommending a product which is known not to work properly with their car, and will incur un-necessery costs for their customers (if the "trickle-charge" work-around is used). I think it's wrong for them to recommend this product when a working one is known to be available.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further to the above, of course if MG UK switch their recommendation, it will incentive Rolec (and other EVSE vendors no doubt) to get cracking with a proper fix of their own....

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
To be fair to the charger manufacturers, its not really their issue that the car is going to sleep and shutting off the charging port. others dont do this :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I go skipping off to the shops is there only one sort of Ohme charger?
There is one charger, which can be obtained in 3 forms - Installed; "cable" with Type 2 connector at the supply end; and "cable" with Commando connector at the supply end. They all have Type 2 at the vehicle end (unless you specify Type 1 - but why would you? :)). The "installed" version is orderable through an approved installer (such as "smarthomecharge.co.uk" and would need to be done in conjunction with the Government grant, as the overall cost would be £850 or more. The "cable" versions are £400 to purchase directly from Ohme (and come in a nice blue carry-bag :)) but there's an offer from Octopus right now whereby you can buy a cable type for £200 when you switch to them. The "cable" versions can be wall-mounted and permanently wired in if desired - the units are identical.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If you are considering upgrading from your old wall box to the new Ohme and can’t get the grant.
You could purchase the Ohme from Octopus ( when switching over to them) for £200.
Then get a spark to hard wire to your existing from the old wall box supply.
Some people MAY feel okay doing this themselves if they have the necessary equipment and skills of course !.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point, Carty. If you have an installed charger already, then the hard work (separate earth rod, etc.) has already been done. Getting a sparky to replace the old wall box with a 32A commando socket should be pretty cheap (the interlocked switched sockets are around £25 from amazon). Then you can simply order the "commando plug version" Ohme cable charger, screw it to the wall and plug it in. There's no need to have professional installation for the charger if it's connected via a removable plug, as far as I understand.
Or, again if you have an existing (dumb) wall box with a Type 2 socket, then simply order the Ohme cable with Type2 plug, screw to the wall as above, and plug into your existing charger wall box. If your existing charger always supplies power, then all should be well. More guidance on this option on the Ohme website (or call them; they're really nice people ;-)).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I really would strongly considered this option !.
But I have just managed to get my 4 year old “dumb” 32 Amp Rolec charger to carry out scheduled charging from the App on my phone.
Brilliant solution for the minimum cost of £6.99 and about 1 hour of time.
I do feel very sorry for the way customers have been let down badly with regards to the lack of delayed charging charging functions in their cars in the UK.
It’s not good enough really.
Customers having to find alternative suppliers and workarounds just to receive a delayed charge !.
POOR !.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,307 Posts
I really would strongly considered this option !.
But I have just managed to get my 4 year old “dumb” 32 Amp Rolec charger to carry out scheduled charging from the App on my phone.
Brilliant solution for the minimum cost of £6.99 and about 1 hour of time.
I do feel very sorry for the way customers have been let down badly with regards to the lack of delayed charging charging functions in their cars in the UK.
It’s not good enough really.
Customers having to find alternative suppliers and workarounds just to receive a delayed charge !.
POOR !.

You seem to be being a bit unfair to MG. They acknowledged they had a fault and they've worked with charger manufactures to get to a solution. OHME etc haven't worked in isolation to get to a resolution.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm actively trying to get Powered Solutions to come and fit an Ohme, but they seem to be incredibly fussy about accepting a copy of the MG Cambridge Order form as proof of a car order.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You seem to be being a bit unfair to MG. They acknowledged they had a fault and they've worked with charger manufactures to get to a solution. OHME etc haven't worked in isolation to get to a resolution.
Er - Not really !.
MG was aware of this problem even before the car was first delivered to customers apparently.
If you are still awaiting delivery of your car, then understanding how frustrating this can be for other ( already ) owners, must be hard to understand.
I find another maker of a charging unit NOT recommended by themselves, to be more of an embarrassment !.
Well done Ohme.
Urgently working to find a solution, while others are just crawling along at a snails pace.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,307 Posts
I postponed delivery of my car. So not really waiting. I can't see the frustration, seems recently to have been a massive clamour to get cheaper overnight charging mainly because everyone knew it didn't work? Victim mentality, oh I knew the MG didn't have timed charging, but I went for a low cost over night rate so I too could moan about it online. Its fairly evident in that a number of these new owners were existing EV owners who had gone years on a single electric rate. The mind boggles.

I don't know if MG knew they had a problem before release, but it seems they have been working with other parties. I don't think they've intentionally NOT recommended brands, more that they had 2 brands they were giving away free for the first 1000. Yes egg on face because they didn't work on timed charging, but as I say they are still working on it.

I'm sure MG will get there, car has only been on sale for 6 months and the last 2 months have been exceptional based on all that is happening in China right now. I for one am happy to cut MG a little slack considering they might have big backing SAIC but MG itself is still very much a minnow in the EV world. A minnow with views to evolving quickly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts