Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Only speaking for myself here, I have been on the cheaper “off peak” rate for over 5 years now. So I am not a “New Comer” to the idea of using electric when the demand is low.
You don’t have this facility unless you intend to use it !.
The car has been with customers almost 6 months now, how long does it take to get this issue sorted, more than enough slack given I think !.
You have delayed your order, so are not affected by this long delay @Sandy
Of course this is completely your choice.
But this does not offer you the opportunity to criticise other people who are using their cars and unable to charge on their “Off Peak” rate ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You seem to be being a bit unfair to MG. They acknowledged they had a fault and they've worked with charger manufactures to get to a solution. OHME etc haven't worked in isolation to get to a resolution.
Actually, Sandy, with respect, Ohme DID work in isolation, and MG appears NOT to have worked with charger manufacturers. If MG had worked with smart charger companies, they would not have released a fix for the wrong problem. I had the privilege of liaising with the chief technologist at Ohme, who had the idea for the fix himself, and implemented it completely without any input from MG, SIAC or other EVSE vendors.
So I do think they deserve the credit they're getting, and MG deserve the pressure to fix the problem at source, so those folks who've invested in other charger types can charge their cars correctly.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Actually, Sandy, with respect, Ohme DID work in isolation, and MG appears NOT to have worked with charger manufacturers. If MG had worked with smart charger companies, they would not have released a fix for the wrong problem. I had the privilege of liaising with the chief technologist at Ohme, who had the idea for the fix himself, and implemented it completely without any input from MG, SIAC or other EVSE vendors.
So I do think they deserve the credit they're getting, and MG deserve the pressure to fix the problem at source, so those folks who've invested in other charger types can charge their cars correctly.
I could NOT agree with you more @DangerousDoug
They should take and receive a massive pat on the back for their efforts.
People who want to succeed, will succeed in my opinion.
Well done Ohme, you have battled through with out ANY help from anyone else and worked diligently to find a fix.
You have deserved the right to offer MG a fix that the recommended suppliers fell flat on their face trying to resolve correctly.
Six months and this should have been put to bed a long time ago.
One will blame the other ALL day of course.
The present and future customers ( if you get any ) are the losers here MG.
It would be interesting to hear just how many orders have been lost, sighting the lack of delayed charging and pre-heating function, that an EV must have going forward in 2020.
The Leaf had internal delayed charging when it was first released in 2011 !.
It will be sorted for the "Face Lift" version of the ZS EV you can be sure.
Are they going to develop a completely new software program for the current version after a 6 months wait - I doubt it some how.
Roll with what we have until the new GEN 2 model is ready is my best guess.
If it is taking over six months to find the correct fix - then it properly won't happen from the manufacturer anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Agreed, Carty. When I ordered my MG I was given a brochure for their recommended Rolec charger, which clearly described scheduled charging as a feature. My running cost calculations, which I used to determine whether I could afford the car, were based on charging at overnight prices. So the expectation was very firmly set. So it's definitely MG's problem to solve. The fact that Ohme have so effectively worked around it is a huge boost to them and us MG owners able to take advantage of it. I feel for those who took the dealer recommendation and now have a car/charger combination which doesn't do what they were told it would do.
Don't get me wrong - I love this car and would buy one again in a heartbeat (until something better comes along ;-)) but it's great that companies like Ohme (and Octopus) exist to make our lives better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
BTW, regarding your other comments about GEN2 and facelift models etc, I think that owner expectations with electric cars are very different from legacy ICE vehicles. Tesla has so completely dominated the development of this sector, that with EVs it's ALL ABOUT THE SOFTWARE! I remember buying my first few cars, which were mainly about the engine. Then it became about the equipment level (you can tell I'm getting older :)) but the concept of downloadable updates and incremental improvements during ownership were completely alien until Tesla. My mate has owned a Model S for the last 3 years, and has not stopped going on about it - the ownership experience is completely revolutionary. This is the experience expectiation which has now been set for EVs. Many other manufacturers are rising to the challenge, with new models offering similar ownership experience (at which point, Tesla simply moves ahead again :)). If MG think they can simply ship a good value car and leave it at that, they will quickly be left behind. As you say, we do indeed need to see the "Thiland" app added to the UK vehicle; more frequent firmware updates; user feedback quickly addressed (bongs etc) if they are to maintain their current position in this very fast-moving emerging market. This is the first time I've bought a car on a PCP contract - I did it because, again for the first time, I don't see myself owning this car beyond 3 years! The market will be so totally different by then...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Agreed, Carty. When I ordered my MG I was given a brochure for their recommended Rolec charger, which clearly described scheduled charging as a feature. My running cost calculations, which I used to determine whether I could afford the car, were based on charging at overnight prices. So the expectation was very firmly set. So it's definitely MG's problem to solve. The fact that Ohme have so effectively worked around it is a huge boost to them and us MG owners able to take advantage of it. I feel for those who took the dealer recommendation and now have a car/charger combination which doesn't do what they were told it would do.
Don't get me wrong - I love this car and would buy one again in a heartbeat (until something better comes along ;-)) but it's great that companies like Ohme (and Octopus) exist to make our lives better.
10,000 miles at 15p / kWh. The car will easily average 4m/kWh over a 12 month period. Your fuel cost would be £375.00. If that is preventing you buying the car, go spend your £22,000 somewhere else.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,958 Posts
but it's great that companies like Ohme (and Octopus) exist to make our lives better.
I'm with you on that one, but what I want to know is, as I only charge about once/twice a week and we don't have programmable white goods. What happens to the price of electricity during the day when I'm mostly using it. I've emailed Octopus and got some woolly answer that did not even address the question. I have a feeling that the peak time price on Agile is pretty frightening. Am I wrong?

I am an OctopusGo customer and can understand how 00:30 to 04:30 works and plan to charge the MG by the RCBO switch at the bottom of our stairs, but am interested in Agile if I can get it to work for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The agile plan has a cap of 35pkw although it can hit that in peak times I don't think it lasts long not for hours in any case. Other users of the forum are saying they are saving against the go tariff

·
Registered
249 Posts
This fix will still not address the cars failure to charge after a power cut. Its still an MG problem.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,958 Posts
The agile plan has a cap of 35pkw although it can hit that in peak times I don't think it lasts long not for hours in any case. Other users of the forum are saying they are saving against the go tariff
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to do some serious thinking.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,958 Posts
This fix will still not address the cars failure to charge after a power cut. Its still an MG problem.
Oh, that puts the kibosh on my plan then. I was going to plug in with the RCBO for the charge point (at the bottom of our stairs) switched off and then switch on at the beginning of the 'GO' tariff (retired, usually read until about 1 am). Perhaps it will be better to go for the EDF tariff and go out and plug in at 9:30? Either way is not really a problem as I only plug in around twice a week.

Apparently, there is a way to make this work. You can plug in and leave the car unlocked and when you want to start the car, you lock the doors. I'm not sure that I would want anyone aware that I was doing this!!! :O

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an MG and an Ohme charger. I would like to charge the car to 80% each night automatically. This isn't possible and I've been told by ohme its due to MG not publicly releasing the API that enables communication between the car and charger. All I can do is add a set amount of kwh each night, regardless of how much I've used. Apparently (someone on the MG forum) insists that zappi chargers can accomplish this. Is it true? If so how?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have an MG and an Ohme charger. I would like to charge the car to 80% each night automatically. This isn't possible and I've been told by ohme its due to MG not publicly releasing the API that enables communication between the car and charger. All I can do is add a set amount of kwh each night, regardless of how much I've used. Apparently (someone on the MG forum) insists that zappi chargers can accomplish this. Is it true? If so how?
No different to the Jaguar I-Pace.

Just charge it to 100% and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My Ohme seems to mistakenly calculate the electricity used from the amount I set to charge by, rather than the amount the car actually takes in. Just me?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
The Zappi can't charge to 80% as it won't know when the car is 80% charged.
It can't do that with our e-Golf, doesn't have the capability to read the battery soc and doesn't work with any car manufacturers apps like the ohme seems to do.

It does have a setting where you can tell it to add XkWh by Z time. I used to use that on my Leaf but I've got used to setting the timers for the amount of hours I need while coinciding with the cheapest Agile hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Richi, what do you refer to? There are multiple thread lines here. I think bms can manage multiple charge amounts/ durations without damaging the battery especially at 7kw and below. The MG battery has been shown to have a larger capacity than stated also so charging to 100% isn't 100% so shouldn't be massively detrimental either.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts