Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Equalisation Charging Equalisation charging means that after a normal charging process the battery management system will enter a mode where it will attempt to equalise the charge of every battery cell. If an equalisation charge has not been carried out for some time the message centre in the instrument pack will display 'Please Slow Charge the Vehicle'. Please refer to 'Slow Charging' in the 'Starting and Driving' section. Onaverage it takes at least 7.5 hours to complete a charge that includes the equalisation charge."

So when it requires one it will warn the owner and then it is wise to put the granny charger on it overnight. Simples.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Or anticipate by charging to 100% on the 7kw charger every now and again, if it needs one it will enter equalisation mode at 100%. Either way MG have thought about it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bms balances the battery when charging at 7kw or less does it not?
To balance the battery cells the BMS MUST be allowed to charge to 100% on your home charger.

When charging the MG logo will pulse. When the battery has reached 100% the logo will light solid. While the logo is solid lit the BMS is balancing the battery cells. Once the logo light goes off, balancing is complete and you have fully balanced cells. If you always stop at 80%, you are preventing the BMS from doing its job and protecting your battery.

Don't worry about charging to an "indicated" 100% SOC, it's not a real 100%. MG and Jaguar protect the battery with the BMS. Not like Tesla where they stretch out the maximum range they can by using as much of the battery capacity as possible, then advising owners NOT to charge to 100% 😄

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a weird time lag on this forum? Are John and richi talking about the same thing and agreeing? What does the "no no no" pertain to? FFS, I think you are both well intentioned but I assumed John's post was the final word before rishi posted again seemingly contradicting it?

·
Registered
720 Posts
The forum has a bug where sometimes you load the page and it doesn't show the latest post.

My rather intemperent "No no no" was in reply to #41 and #42. Sorry (for the confusion and the intemperance).
This may seem trivially obvious, but confusion is easily avoided by using the "Reply" button to show the post you are commenting on...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I switched my order for charger from Rolec to the other supported charger the PodPoint because I was assured that everyone was happy with the PodPoint and it worked until I had it installed and was then informed by podPoint that no they didn't support delayed off-peak sharing on the charger or their app as cars have delayed charge timers. Horror of horror the MG ZE doesn't as the timed charging feature was not deemed necessary in European market since in the UK and Europe Smart charging is a requirement for the government grant. There is clearly a lack of understanding on the part of PodPoint in that when they signed their partnership agreement with MG Motors they didn't ask the question "Does the car have a delay charge timer?" and on MG Motor's part in assuming either that "Smart Chargers have an App to control that kind of thing" without realising the Smart Charging requirements only require EVMS providers to internet connect the charger so that charging can be throttled back or paused to manage the Grid and local network load and not to give control to you the end-user! Apparently PodPoint has their developers working on the fix for this as a matter of priority since early February, but no doubt, in the current COVID 19 Lockdown it is less of a priority unless they consider the plight of the NHS frontline workers, for whom MG Motors has pledged 100 MGZS EV for 6 months, are an additional priority. For myself, a simple temporary hardware solution involving rerouting of the CP wire via the contacts of a WiFi configured timer provides out of hours off-peak charging except now I've nowhere to drive during a 12-week 'Shielding' self-isolation.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
No no no. The periodic equalisation charge is different. I say again: if you habitually interrupt the charge session before the top-balance phase, you risk accelerated degradation.
Why do you say that?
Everything I've read about charging lithium batteries says charging to lower % most of the time prolongs the battery life.
Fully charge once a month is the usual recommendation. The Leaf used to have a setting to limit the charge to 80%. Both of my EVs have settings to charge to less than 100% but the manual recommends fully charging once a month. That's enough to keep those batteries balanced, are MG saying their batteries are different to others and need balancing every day?
That would sound very strange

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,958 Posts
That's enough to keep those batteries balanced, are MG saying their batteries are different to others and need balancing every day?
No, you are quite right. They don't need 100% charging every day. Periodic 100% is sufficient. At a ballpark figure, probably once a month. I used to make sure Zoe's battery was balanced once a week.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why do you say that?
Everything I've read about charging lithium batteries says charging to lower % most of the time prolongs the battery life.
Fully charge once a month is the usual recommendation. The Leaf used to have a setting to limit the charge to 80%. Both of my EVs have settings to charge to less than 100% but the manual recommends fully charging once a month. That's enough to keep those batteries balanced, are MG saying their batteries are different to others and need balancing every day?
That would sound very strange
The MG ZS EV does not allow the battery to be charged to 100%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the whole thread is read that would explain the differences between other manufacturers and MG. The ZS ev cannot charge to 100% it doesn't allow it but it does tell you that is has on the display. In other words it is idiot proof! Hence the 7 year guarantee (70% soc on battery)

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
The MG isn't the only car that doesn't have a setting to stop the charge at 100%, and that doesn't mean it will damage the battery if you use a timer on the charger to stop it before 100%.

Read up on charging and storing lithium batteries and then decide if stopping early is going to damage the battery. Just because the manufacturer decides not to add a timer doesn't mean that setting your own timer is going to cause damage. The same with stopping a charge before its fully charged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your post is very difficult to understand, I've read it twice and don't get what point you are trying to make. Could it be summarised by saying "no two EVs are identical but some are similar"? If so it sounds pretty obvious.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
What I meant is just because MG haven't bothered to add a timer doesn't mean that using a timer on the charge point will damage the battery.
In the same way not bothering to add the option to stop at 80%, or any other %, doesn't mean it will damage the battery if you do stop the charge before 100%.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts