Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,978 Posts
What I meant is just because MG haven't bothered to add a timer doesn't mean that using a timer on the charge point will damage the battery.
In the same way not bothering to add the option to stop at 80%, or any other %, doesn't mean it will damage the battery if you do stop the charge before 100%.
Quite correct and also quite correct for around 99% of EVs. In fact I can't think of an EV that will be hurt by not charging to 100%. It's just that occasionally a 100% charge (and left to carry on until balancing is complete) is needed for the health of the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That really is fantastic news !.
Congrats and well done to everybody who was involved the fix !.
Come on Rolec !.
If they can do it, surely you have to step up to the plate now !.
You are one of the two nominated companies recommended by MG for their wall box units to suit the ZS EV.
Whoops !.
Ohme is one. Who is the other?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does this keeping the car awake risk flattening the 12v in the car?
I doubt that it will drain the 12-volt battery. I have a homebrew fix on my Pod Point which I have been running with for a couple of months quite successfully without any 12-volt battery issues. After the MG software update in February, the MG is happy to remain in a sleep state and be awaken by the Pod Point when the CP circuit is completed by a WiFi controlled timer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I’ve been following your discussions and could use your help please! I bought an MG ZS just before lockdown kicked off and have finally managed to get an Ohme charger installed. I’m now experiencing delay charge issues. Basically, the car will not charge smartly. I can only max charge it. I fail to see the point of a smart charger for this car if this is the case. I’ve been in touch with Ohme who’ve asked me to change my settings to ‘no delay charge MG ZS’ to keep the car awake but this did not work and there is still conflict between the car and the charger. I’m interested to know what ‘solutions’ I could try before I give up. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
@Justtoogood it sounds like your car hasn't had the necessary firmware updates to allow for timed charging.

when you plug the car in and lock it, do you see "connected but not charging" on both the Ohme display and the eZS dashboard?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi thanks for your reply. Ohme suggested I 'trickle' charged it so I've tried both ways. When on a trickle charge, the car says 'connected and charging'. However, when the 'scheduled charge' commences at 00:30 it seems to confuse the car and it stops charging. This happens on trickle charge and on delay charge. We've tried switching off the pKW limit and the car still randomly stops charging in middle of night. Lucky if I get a few miles out of the charge. The car can me 'dumb' charged so thats something.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a BP chargemaster charger and I can set a timer charge through the charger app, but when the time comes it doesn't charge. Has anyone had experience of this particular charger. The garage ensure me I have the latest software. Got the MG ZS EV 8 weeks ago, it hasn't done 100 miles yet.

Thanks for looking, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would suspect that these issues with the car not waking when the Smart Timed charger switches charging on is down to the software version on the MMG as this was exactly the issue I had. A lot of Home Charger providers seem to be offering a trickle charge workaround but I calculated that from 6 pm in evening if I plugged in the charger, until 00:30 am when off-peak began the car would be offered up to 10 kWh BEFORE the timer would kick in which was unacceptable to me. My dealer took a scan of the software build I had and sent it to MG Motors and that came back and said there was an update required even though the dealer thought I the latest update already applied. When that was done timed charging has been flawless. The simple thing to check. Plug the Granny charger into the car but not the 13A plug and lock the car. Then leave it at least 2 hours and then connect the 240V 13A plug - the car should wake and charge. If not ask your dealer to scan the software and check that the latest version and all updates are actually installed. Others on this forum were telling me that I didn't have the latest version and I kept saying the dealer said I did. I was wrong, my dealer was wrong, so get yours checked if it doesn't wake on the granny charger.

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
I would suspect that these issues with the car not waking when the Smart Timed charger switches charging on is down to the software version on the MMG as this was exactly the issue I had. A lot of Home Charger providers seem to be offering a trickle charge workaround but I calculated that from 6 pm in evening if I plugged in the charger, until 00:30 am when off-peak began the car would be offered up to 10 kWh BEFORE the timer would kick in which was unacceptable to me. My dealer took a scan of the software build I had and sent it to MG Motors and that came back and said there was an update required even though the dealer thought I the latest update already applied. When that was done timed charging has been flawless. The simple thing to check. Plug the Granny charger into the car but not the 13A plug and lock the car. Then leave it at least 2 hours and then connect the 240V 13A plug - the car should wake and charge. If not ask your dealer to scan the software and check that the latest version and all updates are actually installed. Others on this forum were telling me that I didn't have the latest version and I kept saying the dealer said I did. I was wrong, my dealer was wrong, so get yours checked if it doesn't wake on the granny charger.
Thank you for this update Barry - we have been getting increasingly frustrated with my wife’s ZS EV since we had an Ohme charger fitted a few weeks ago - I have been getting quite fed up with waking at odd hours of the night in order to unlock and lock the car to wake it up in order to make the most of our Agile tariff - we will try the granny charger test later today....fortunately the car (which was purchased in late Jan 2020) is going into our dealer for the Comfort update in July....I was surprised when the dealer tried to push back on the Comfort upgrade...saying that they don’t usually schedule in these upgrades unless required to - you would think that they would want to get MG owners back into the dealership and to build up a good relationship with their customers! I will report back on the ‘granny test’

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
I carried out the test last night and....of course the MG failed to wake up and charge using the granny charger after an hour long ‘sleep’. We intend to call the dealership today in order to make sure that before they add the Comfort Upgrade that they attend to this matter which should have been resolved prior to our purchase in January.....I am glad that it is not the Ohme that was at fault.

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
Stage 1 achieved - having had its software updated earlier - we tried the granny charger test again having allowed the MG to go to sleep....it woke up and started charging. Fantastic - Stage 2 will be a timed charge using the OHME charger later :) Many thanks BarryH

61 - 74 of 74 Posts