Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Nissan Leaf 30kWh with a PodPoint EVSE and on the Octopus Go tariff. I use the car's onboard timer to start and stop the charging based on how much charge I need for the next day.

I'm going to get a new EVSE but I'd like to get something that'll be a bit future proof. I'll almost certainly upgrade my car to one which will have a type 2 connection and I'd like the option of being able to switch to Octopus Agile tariff. I'm quite keen on the Ohme Intelligent EVSE as it seems like it has basic timed scheduled functionality (so I can rely on that instead of the car's timer) and it also has some smarts for working out the cheapest timing when on Agile.

My questions are:
  1. How reliable is the Ohme timed schedule? Does it store the schedule locally? (the PodPoint one is pants as it stores them on PodPoint servers and if it loses WiFi connection, then it immediately starts charging)?
  2. Do Ohme do an untethered version?
  3. If not, then I'll order a type 2 tethered cable. So where can I get a reliable and quality type 2 to type 1 adaptor to allow me to use my Leaf with it?
  4. How well does Ohme work with the Nissan Leaf in terms of monitoring the battery status? Using the official Nissan app, it doesn't seem to be exactly accurate. It seems like the battery SOC is approximate (or at least not very real time). Does this affect how accurately the Ohme can function?
Any other words of wisdom before I pull the trigger on this EVSE?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,785 Posts
I find ohme extremly unreliable. It is currently used as dumb cable with little interaction. To use it with Go Etc you need to set the tariff timing and set only charge below this price (your off peak rate).
1) Scheduling itself isn't bad however what I found over 6 months was that it will constantly over-estimate charging speed, start charging later and either not finish on time or charge when its more expensive.
2) Ohme is all about the box in the middle. Whether it its 3 - pin, command, wall mounted or universal on one end and type 1/2 on other.
3) See 2.
4) You can configure it with Nissan login and it uses reverse engineered API to query the charge status. Depending upon the percent you specify it will keep charging.

Its so dumb that if you specify 100%, it will disconnect the moment API reports 100% - it does not support balancing cycle.

Words of wisdom you asked ?
Save yourself hassle and get Smart Pro by Indra.co.uk. ChargedEV do their install.

Paging @Mike Schooling

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I bought an Ohme sometime ago for use with a car with no timer as I was on Go, then Agile which worked great. However, changed to a leaf so did briefly try getting the Ohme to read the car's SOC which sort of works but is unreliable. So now I have the Ohme set to use the Octopus Go faster tariff without connecting to the car. Sometimes I stick on the 80% limiter in the car. Simpler and does not p1ss me off, lol.

Reactions: Hermit Dave

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes, definitely interested in the Smart Pro provided that it does what I need reliably. Being able to use it with Octopus Agile tariff is great but the thing that seems to be quite unreliable with other EVSE is just a standard timed schedule (i.e. I specify when it starts and stops).

I wondered why you were tagging @Mike Schooling but I now realise he works at the company that make it. I'm sure it's a great device but I can't seem to find many reviews online or even youtube videos of it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pod point scheduled timer was flaky for me initially but since I logged out and back into the app it's worked perfectly every time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pod point scheduled timer was flaky for me initially but since I logged out and back into the app it's worked perfectly every time.
The flakiness I experienced with podpoint isn't to do with the mobile app. The EVSE has a connection to PodPoint's servers via the WiFi connection. If that connection drops (which can happen due to a number of reasons) then it'll default to instantly charging the car. Even if the internet connection comes back on, it'll just continue to charge the car until it is full. Not ideal if I'm trying to carefully keep the charging session between the 4 hour off-peak time on Octopus Go tariff.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,785 Posts
The flakiness I experienced with podpoint isn't to do with the mobile app. The EVSE has a connection to PodPoint's servers via the WiFi connection. If that connection drops (which can happen due to a number of reasons) then it'll default to instantly charging the car. Even if the internet connection comes back on, it'll just continue to charge the car until it is full. Not ideal if I'm trying to carefully keep the charging session between the 4 hour off-peak time on Octopus Go tariff.
Same with Ohme,. Over the last 12 months expecially when I was using Timer, it would start charing immediately as device didn't have connectivity. It once charged 2 hours before I realised it.

@technoev I have spoken to Mike a few times and almost signed up by Smart Pro at last once. As far as I know it has all the features of Zappi and Ohme combined. It chose Ovo as its partner and as a result Octopus seem to keep their distance. It works with Agile. Mike showed me his own usage with Agile and the logs etc. I agree they don't anyone evangalising for them and that's a shame

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an Ohme with a charged ev charger and it works great. I have no issues with it and it does exactly what it is supposed to , just don’t expect more from it . Worked out far cheaper than getting a smart charger and to be honest I wouldn’t get anything more from a smart charger than the Ohme . I’m on octopus go . All said and done it’s a charger doesn’t have to be complicated

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh 2016 66 Plate
7 Posts
Just to add my experience of the Ohme cable, I was having issues a few months ago where it would start charging immediately and might fail to change to the scheduled charge. After speaking to Ohme support, the best way to use the cable is to switch the cable power on before connecting it to the car. Wait until you see the up and down arrow symbol in the charger display and only then connect it.
I occasionally get a slight overcharge, but mostly it's slightly under, say 78%. As for balancing at 100%, I normally use the granny charger if remaining charge in the car is enough to allow the car to reach 100% and balance within the 5 hour Octopus Go window. I use the car scheduler for this, but normally only do this maybe once a month.

Regards
Gareth

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mine works perfectly now everytime. I use it to charge in off peak hours normally to 80%. My podpoint has max wi-fi bars it's right next to a BT mesh disc

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,785 Posts
Add to the matter, the development of the phone app it’s extremely slow. All the work so far has been integrating with other companies.

Looking at historic data it’s as simple as can be. They added material interaction to charge history yet you cannot actually view any details.

I asked for summarisation and was told great will pass it to the Dev team and nothing. Same with multi car support. Also you can have one Ohme unit on your account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts