Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm just about to dip my toes into the EV scene and I'm looking around at chargers. I have switched my energy suppler recently to Octopus Energy and plan to switch to their Agile tariff (once I have my smart meter installed).

I see they offer the Ohme smart chargers at a very good price but they are not eligible for the government installation grant, despite them being identical to the ones that are. Anybody have an information as to why this is?

Is the Ohme a good way to go or should I be looking at something like the Rolec one. Any help or advise would be fantastic as I'm trying to keep the costs low.

Many thanks.

Ray

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Welcome!

Octopus only offer the deal on the plug in type (13A, Commando or Type 2) and in your case only the commando makes sense. The 13A plug unit won't charge fast enough to take advantage of Agile and isn't the safest option for regular charging IMO.

EV Energy and their app supports optimised charging on Agile with the "Rolec HomeSmart EV charger" so my suggestion would be to get a quote (or multiple) to install one of those on the OLEV grant. Bear in mind you can't get the grant until you have a confirmed order for a plugin car. See

https://ev.energy/

Once you have a quote you can compare with cost of getting an electrician to install an interlocked 32A commando socket to suit electric car charging. For safety, it needs to comply with the latest regulations on EV charging (with an installation certificate) and OHME publish advice. Personally I think pretending it is for an arc welder or similar to dodge the regs is foolhardy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of EV will you be charging what's your daily, weekday, weekend, etc usage.
Hi Freddym,

Thanks for the responce.

TBH i'm not 100% sure. We have opted for a New ZE50 Zoe. My wife mainly uses it for work and running the kids around so we are expecting to only need to charge it a couple of times a week, however my thought was if on Agile to have it charge every night at the cheapest rate and keep the car topped off. Not sure if this is the best approach.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
TBH i'm not 100% sure. We have opted for a New ZE50 Zoe. My wife mainly uses it for work and running the kids around so we are expecting to only need to charge it a couple of times a week, however my thought was if on Agile to have it charge every night at the cheapest rate and keep the car topped off. Not sure if this is the best approach.
Keeping it topped up to 100% might be a mistake if it stays at that level for several days; keeping it topped up to 80% might be a better plan. You'll get a rough idea of how much power it needs for that then set it to charge for a couple of hours at best rate. N.B. cheapest rate isn't always in the small hours e.g. at 13:30 yesterday you could have had half an hour at approx 1ppu and several nearby slots were sub 4ppu

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Personally I think pretending it is for an arc welder or similar to dodge the regs is foolhardy.
100% agree - the regs are there for a good reason.
For safety, it needs to comply with the latest regulations on EV charging (with an installation certificate) and OHME publish advice.
The alternative is to purchase the fully installed charge point via Ohme which costs £500 after the OLEV grant but includes all of the wiring - it will be safer, add value to your property if you ever choose to move and may work out less expensive if the cost of installing the Commando socket PROPERLY comes out at £300 which wouldn't be a surprise.
My wife mainly uses it for work and running the kids around so we are expecting to only need to charge it a couple of times a week, however my thought was if on Agile to have it charge every night at the cheapest rate and keep the car topped off. Not sure if this is the best approach.
@freddym asked a good question as usual. Is the cost justified by the potential savings if you aren't doing a significant mileage?
Also, it is generally not good practice to keep the car fully charged when you don't need to, better to aim at 80% or less provided that there is enough for the next days usage. One difficulty with Agile is knowing when to charge in these circumstances as you only know the rates 24 hours ahead - for example, of late a number of Monday early mornings have been "plunge" priced where the rate is negative, but on Sunday early AM the rate for charging my car was less than 1.5p/kWh but I didn't need the car on Sunday - after much head scratching I opted for the bird in the hand and charged at 1.5p/kWh average and the rate on Monday AM would have been 4.5p/kWh average. So I guessed right - but it was sheer chance.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hi Freddym,

Thanks for the responce.

If it's just local running around, probably yes a couple of times a week.

Unless you have a lot of other electrical loads that can be shifted, I'm not even sure I would bother with Agile to be honest.

A full charge of 50kW is going to cost about £7 on an ordinary daytime tarriff of 14p/ unit and that should give around 190 miles around town, a bit more in summer and a bit less in winter.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Or alternatively on Go £2.50, but without the penalty period between 16:00 and 19:00 and the need for the complication and daily input required with Agile..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome!

Octopus only offer the deal on the plug in type (13A, Commando or Type 2) and in your case only the commando makes sense. The 13A plug unit won't charge fast enough to take advantage of Agile and isn't the safest option for regular charging IMO.

EV Energy and their app supports optimised charging on Agile with the "Rolec HomeSmart EV charger" so my suggestion would be to get a quote (or multiple) to install one of those on the OLEV grant. Bear in mind you can't get the grant until you have a confirmed order for a plugin car. See

https://ev.energy/

Once you have a quote you can compare with cost of getting an electrician to install an interlocked 32A commando socket to suit electric car charging. For safety, it needs to comply with the latest regulations on EV charging (with an installation certificate) and OHME publish advice. Personally I think pretending it is for an arc welder or similar to dodge the regs is foolhardy.
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I didn't know if the Ohm was better than Rolec (those are the only ones I can see support agile), or if their wasn't much in it.

In a previous job I did complete the 16th Edition Wiring regulations training so I understand the reasons around the rules, whatever I decide it needs to be safe and compliant. commando I suppose gives some flexibility but I would prefer hard wired. I have already confirmed with Ohme that the commando version can be installed by removing the plug and hard wiring, which questions why this isn't eligible for the grant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's just local running around, probably yes a couple of times a week.

Unless you have a lot of other electrical loads that can be shifted, I'm not even sure I would bother with Agile to be honest.

A full charge of 50kW is going to cost about £7 on an ordinary daytime tarriff of 14p/ unit and that should give around 190 miles around town, a bit more in summer and a bit less in winter.
The car isn't my only reason for he Agile Tariff. I'm a fairly high user with a constant 300+ Watt load. I'll take any savings I can. Not sure if Agile is going to be the best but I think it's worth a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100% agree - the regs are there for a good reason.

The alternative is to purchase the fully installed charge point via Ohme which costs £500 after the OLEV grant but includes all of the wiring - it will be safer, add value to your property if you ever choose to move and may work out less expensive if the cost of installing the Commando socket PROPERLY comes out at £300 which wouldn't be a surprise.
£500 if its a simple install and they don't need to install a new CU etc etc etc. I think the difference between the 1/2 price Ohme and a commando socket or the Rolec isn't going to be much so this is more about a comparison between the two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keeping it topped up to 100% might be a mistake if it stays at that level for several days; keeping it topped up to 80% might be a better plan. You'll get a rough idea of how much power it needs for that then set it to charge for a couple of hours at best rate. N.B. cheapest rate isn't always in the small hours e.g. at 13:30 yesterday you could have had half an hour at approx 1ppu and several nearby slots were sub 4ppu
That's a good point. 100% isn't going to do the batteries any favour.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
With the Ohme you can set your charge level target to 80% on the schedule and as long as you input your login for the cars app, then it knows exactly how quickly and to where you car is charging and then the price threshold can be set

·
Registered
490 Posts
With the Ohme you can set your charge level target to 80% on the schedule and as long as you input your login for the cars app, then it knows exactly how quickly and to where you car is charging and then the price threshold can be set
I think that could depend on the car? I have the OHME cable to charge an IONIQ, and I didn't see any option to log into Hyundai bluelink? When I charge, the unit assumes I am charging to 100% from a 0% battery as it it doesn't get the actual SOC from the car. The car allows me to set a SOC% limit, which is necessary e.g if the OHME charges to 80%, the battery would actually be 100% well before that.

Another advantage of keeping the OHME on a commando plug is that you can take it with you and use it as a 7kW portable charging cable at another property. The app reports actual kWh from a charging session, so you could offer payment to cover the actual energy consumed.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I think that could depend on the car? I have the OHME cable to charge an IONIQ, and I didn't see any option to log into Hyundai bluelink? When I charge, the unit assumes I am charging to 100% from a 0% battery
Which means that it cannot calculate the optimum series of 1/2 hour periods for charging your car if it doesn't know the SoC unless you make manual adjustments each night.
Another advantage of keeping the OHME on a commando plug is that you can take it with you and use it as a 7kW portable charging cable at another property. The app reports actual kWh from a charging session, so you could offer payment to cover the actual energy consumed.
On the assumption that they have a convenient 32A Commando socket and didn't want to accept an estimate of the electricity used, e.g. 50 - 100% SoC on a 30 kWh battery means that I owe you the cost of 15kWh @ x pence/kWh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that could depend on the car? I have the OHME cable to charge an IONIQ, and I didn't see any option to log into Hyundai bluelink? When I charge, the unit assumes I am charging to 100% from a 0% battery as it it doesn't get the actual SOC from the car. The car allows me to set a SOC% limit, which is necessary e.g if the OHME charges to 80%, the battery would actually be 100% well before that.

Yeah I think that you need access to the cars API to do the smart stuff. I have checked with Ohme and they support the car i'm planning to get so I think this is the route I'm going to go. As you say the ability to take it with you has some benefit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts