Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having very little success with my Ohme charger because it's not getting enough mobile signal. It's already on an external wall.

As anyone had any luck getting the roaming sim in the Ohme talking to either a femtocell (aka 'home booster' and suchlike from Vodafone, Three etc) or indeed a roof-mounted signal booster.

I could just about suck it up if the app would at least record the charges but without the mobile connection the charger is totally dumb and with no solution I'll just have to send it back.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm having very little success with my Ohme charger because it's not getting enough mobile signal. It's already on an external wall.

As anyone had any luck getting the roaming sim in the Ohme talking to either a femtocell (aka 'home booster' and suchlike from Vodafone, Three etc) or indeed a roof-mounted signal booster.

I could just about suck it up if the app would at least record the charges but without the mobile connection the charger is totally dumb and with no solution I'll just have to send it back.
Do you have a poor mobile network coverage, for your phone, from any phone network?
Do you know what network(s) the Ohme SIM is associated with?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, mobile coverage is practically zero on all networks. The sim in the unit is roaming apparently

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem with the femtocells is that a user has to be registered to the femtocell for it to fuction. I guess you won't know the mobile number of the box unless you crack it open and put the simcard into a mobile and work it out from there. Will Ohme tell you the number to add?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but they say it didn't work with a Vodafone femtocell nonetheless

·
Registered
145 Posts
We had a vodaphone sure signal ( fetmocell ) and it worked OK for a while with a phone handset but after we changed our ISP it stopped working and support could never fix it. More modern phones have wifi calling built in from the mobile provider - so I suspect these devices will be dropped eventually.

There are things like 3G/4G Signal Booster Nikrans LCD-300GD review in UK which boost the mobile signal from an external ariel but I never tried them.

I suppose it would be nice if Ohme added an option of Wifi as well as GPRS in their charger for these situations.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yes with the Vodafone sure signal you had to register mobile numbers but with my T-Mobile femtocell, works with anything EE, plug and play from the box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's encouraging. Do you know if it will work with a roaming SIM as in the ohme?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nope, but is it just works out the box e.g. no registration, populating numbers etc it's got to be worth a cheap shot. Personally I have not yet dabbled with off peak charging etc as until recently all my charging was free, now only about 40%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts