Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Random thought that just came to my mind....I use an Ohme Smart Charger the Octopus Energy (Agile Tariff)...so the new rates for the following day come in around 4pm ish.....so lets say I go out in the AM....come home and plug in my car around 1pm.....will the App/Smart process know to readjust the charging times when the new rates appear? I would have hoped it would have....but I had that situation yesterday...and the car started to charge in the early afternoon....whereas I would have hoped it would know to not charge and wait for the new rates then 'pick' the best time to charge after that.

It almost sounds like I need to not plug in the car until the new rates have been published each day to ensure the Ohme process picks up the new rates...which almost sounds counter productive!

Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have had this situation once in my 8 ish months of using Ohme. Mine seemed to replan the charge at ~8pm when I monitored the app. I can't remember if I changed any settings or anything, but it seemed to replan when I was looking at the app.

(remeber current days rates published until 11:30pm) so it will be accurate until then. If in doubt, load the app, make a minor change and it WILL replan, but I don't recall having to do that.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Ohme cable usage is painful. I got the cable in July last year. Few things to remember when using Agile.
  • create a schedule with end time.
  • Agile has relatively cheap afternoon slots
  • plug in as late as possible

I had so many issues with Ohme I’m just happy to seem have changed the car to
  • random non api car - set to defender classic
  • no schedule

I plug-in when I know I need to start charging now that I’m on Go Faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
(remember current rates
Ohme cable usage is painful. I got the cable in July last year. Few things to remember when using Agile.
  • create a schedule with end time.
  • Agile has relatively cheap afternoon slots
  • plug in as late as possible
Oh indeed, we have a defautl schedule of daily 80% by 8am (which is when we usually would need to leave). Thats simplest, easiest, and just alter that if you want earlier or later, or if you need 100% for a full-range trip.

I find the device works well, we've had 3 charge sessions a month since last August, and most have been VERY cheap for us (as in under £2), with 4 negative priced charges, and about 5 where net cost was near enough nil. Way I look at it, if my wife can figure out plugging in car with it, it's all good, and she has managed to do so so-far. (and given with the Niro we rarely need > 80%, she rarely uses the app).

A useful "feature" I have set now permanently is the "don't charge over feature", which I've set to 15p. Why? Well I can charge at a BP 50kw for that, so why would I charge at home for over that, given most longer journies involve BP Pulse for us. (I have a card, as my work "site" locations requires a BP Pulse card to operate, despite being a private network). To be honest I'm considering lowering it, given my work charges a far more reasonable 2p/Kwh at moment for the occasions I do go in. I would highly reccomend setting that if on Agile, as it'll stop unit prices > 15p ever being used.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
(remember current rates

Oh indeed, we have a defautl schedule of daily 80% by 8am (which is when we usually would need to leave). Thats simplest, easiest, and just alter that if you want earlier or later, or if you need 100% for a full-range trip.

I find the device works well, we've had 3 charge sessions a month since last August, and most have been VERY cheap for us (as in under £2), with 4 negative priced charges, and about 5 where net cost was near enough nil. Way I look at it, if my wife can figure out plugging in car with it, it's all good, and she has managed to do so so-far. (and given with the Niro we rarely need > 80%, she rarely uses the app).

A useful "feature" I have set now permanently is the "don't charge over feature", which I've set to 15p. Why? Well I can charge at a BP 50kw for that, so why would I charge at home for over that, given most longer journies involve BP Pulse for us. (I have a card, as my work "site" locations requires a BP Pulse card to operate, despite being a private network). To be honest I'm considering lowering it, given my work charges a far more reasonable 2p/Kwh at moment for the occasions I do go in. I would highly reccomend setting that if on Agile, as it'll stop unit prices > 15p ever being used.
There was a time when I used to charge under 8p only

·
Registered
324 Posts
There was a time when I used to charge under 8p only
I will admit to having to set it to 15p on last charge on 14th April as it said "0 units would be added", and the trip couldn't be postponed (and was previously set at 11p, which had worked a while!). But that was a required trip to a holiday let (600 mi round trip), not a housekeeping recharge. (We are lucky enough to usually need to only recharge when rates good). Interestingly the holiday cottages EV charger was billed at 17p a unit, so I didn't feel too bad charging in afternoon peaks ;) Even at those rates, it's a good deal to be honest, it's still cheaper than diesel.

I also can't recall a lull of wind this long in many years. I'm almost glad my ripple windfarm hasn't been built yet, as I'd not even have an offset this month!

We'll be back to normal rates probably mid-may as soon as we don't have 24/7 fully used interconnectors (or at least at peak times) -> I can wait.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
I will admit to having to set it to 15p on last charge on 14th April as it said "0 units would be added", and the trip couldn't be postponed (and was previously set at 11p, which had worked a while!). But that was a required trip to a holiday let (600 mi round trip), not a housekeeping recharge. (We are lucky enough to usually need to only recharge when rates good). Interestingly the holiday cottages EV charger was billed at 17p a unit, so I didn't feel too bad charging in afternoon peaks ;) Even at those rates, it's a good deal to be honest, it's still cheaper than diesel.

I also can't recall a lull of wind this long in many years. I'm almost glad my ripple windfarm hasn't been built yet, as I'd not even have an offset this month!

We'll be back to normal rates probably mid-may as soon as we don't have 24/7 fully used interconnectors (or at least at peak times) -> I can wait.
I switched to Go Faster in January. Glad that I did
We charge our Leaf30 and Outlander daily and those 5 hours at 5.5p help a lot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ohme cable usage is painful.
Have to agree with @Hermit Dave on this one. I have the Ohme charger and was on the Agile tariff and I would say that at it's very best the benefits were marginal, but more typically it was annoying and expensive. I wouldn't buy it again.

When it worked, which it did for the first 6 months, it chose Agile tariff windows that were a tiny bit better than a fixed overnight schedule would have been. Rarely it let us catch a plunge pricing window, and even then the car would have to be on a very low state of charge for us to make a noticeable gain.

But for some reason after a few months the stupid thing would lose it's 3G signal, default to maximum charging, and wind up charging the car right in the middle of the Agile peak pricing window. We tried to set a maximum charge price, we tried various combinations of overnight schedules, and we spent ages on the telephone and email with Ohme customer service. Nothing worked. The charger's behaviour was just totally unpredictable, it would work fine for 3-4 days then suddenly either not charge the car at all or do a max charge at the worst possible time.

Ohme's customer service advised us to just use it as a "dumb" charger, and that's what we do now. We switched to the Go tariff and use our car's computer to set the charging times.

I wouldn't get the Ohme again. I know many here have had more success with it, but I wish we'd just bought a simple and reliable charger.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Have to agree with @Hermit Dave on this one. I have the Ohme charger and was on the Agile tariff and I would say that at it's very best the benefits were marginal, but more typically it was annoying and expensive. I wouldn't buy it again.

When it worked, which it did for the first 6 months, it chose Agile tariff windows that were a tiny bit better than a fixed overnight schedule would have been. Rarely it let us catch a plunge pricing window, and even then the car would have to be on a very low state of charge for us to make a noticeable gain.

But for some reason after a few months the stupid thing would lose it's 3G signal, default to maximum charging, and wind up charging the car right in the middle of the Agile peak pricing window. We tried to set a maximum charge price, we tried various combinations of overnight schedules, and we spent ages on the telephone and email with Ohme customer service. Nothing worked. The charger's behaviour was just totally unpredictable, it would work fine for 3-4 days then suddenly either not charge the car at all or do a max charge at the worst possible time.

Ohme's customer service advised us to just use it as a "dumb" charger, and that's what we do now. We switched to the Go tariff and use our car's computer to set the charging times.

I wouldn't get the Ohme again. I know many here have had more success with it, but I wish we'd just bought a simple and reliable charger.
The schedule chosen was always for 6.6kW charger (mine has 3.3kW) and would never finish it when it thought it will. Lots of connectivity issues. Lots of charges were it was not the cheapest as it didn’t have signal.

Lot happier with it being dumb TBH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts