Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the merits of using an Ohme on Agile, versus V2G?

I'm interested in joining the V2G trial (with free charger) but really not sure if I'll end up better or worse off compared to Agile.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
It depends on the rates that you are charged on the V2G trial and the balance between your consumption and the export. Certainly I couldn't make the figures for the OVO trial work for me in comparison to Go because of our large off-peak consumption. If we had a lower off-peak consumption it might have worked, but Agile would again break that with lower standard rates outside the peak.
I'm not yet aware of the electricity suppliers for the Electric Nation trial, but they will need to be competitive with Octopus to make it worthwhile - I can't see it happening unless one of them is Octopus.
I personally am still in two minds when comparing Go and Agile under normal circumstances - the current Covid-19 lowered wholesale prices are in favour of Agile. In 2019 the average best 8 1/2 hours rates on Agile were only under the 5p of Go around 25% of the time, and averaged over 6.5p. The average rate for the remainder of the time was lower than the peak rates for Go even including the penalised hours. As 2/3rds of our consumption had moved to the Go off-peak period the costs worked out similar, but with Go simpler to understand and implement.

·
jim5452
223 Posts
<<<<the current Covid-19 lowered wholesale prices are in favour of Agile>>>
Is that the reason,or is it that we are currently in a period of reasonably windy conditions at weekends when demand is lower even in normal times. It just seems every weekend is windy, with the exception of one Tuesday if I remember correctly when prices were negative

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
<<<<the current Covid-19 lowered wholesale prices are in favour of Agile>>>
Is that the reason,or is it that we are currently in a period of reasonably windy conditions at weekends when demand is lower even in normal times. It just seems every weekend is windy, with the exception of one Tuesday if I remember correctly when prices were negative
That's what I meant. Demand has fallen off a cliff and renewables are doing terrifically, so the price has fallen. I believe that the lockdown is the main factor, and that if we had had the promised V shaped recovery prices would be back to normal. However, as we are at best on a Nike swoosh or L shaped path prices will remain low all Summer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iim also a little worried about health loss on the battery. i rarely charge beyond 50% and the prospect of cycling the battery up and down for the grid’s benefit seems to be a bit of an issue for me

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
iim also a little worried about health loss on the battery. i rarely charge beyond 50% and the prospect of cycling the battery up and down for the grid’s benefit seems to be a bit of an issue for me
Then don't do it.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
From the figures that OVO gave me for V2G participation based on my driving / charging profile, I am saving far more being on Octopus Agile - given the OVO tariff's are more expensive in general.

The main dealbreaker for me was it's only when the grid / OVO decide to export energy when demand is required - typically between 4-7 peak periods. At the moment, there is no facility to 'load match' your home to power your home from the car rather than the grid, and there's currently no guarantee that can be provided during or after the trial.

This could be an interesting thoughts - the OVO forum on here, has not provided any V2G export stats since December... I wonder how those exports look with COVID where the energy demand is far less?

This might be unprecedented times, however my agile EV costs without the standing charge:

March - 1548 miles travelled @ £24.31 (6 days on Go @ £9.95)
April - 807 miles travelled @ £2.94 (~275 of those miles were GeniePoint free vends)
May - 1114 miles travelled @ 3.95 (~125 of those miles were GeniePoint free vends)

Motoring during lockdown - wife is a NHS employee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts