Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just thought I would make people aware regarding the OHME Wall charger fault that other people might come across.
My ohme was installed but every time I tried to charge. It would start to power up then go into stand by mode. Myself and the installer was not sure what was causing it. Thinking it could be the MG ZS EV

But after reading on here it was found to be a powerline adapter that I had plugged in for the Tesla power wall. Once I removed it the charger started working straight away. Hope it helps other people and other cars too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power line adapters basically turn the electrical wiring of a home into network cables for a computer network. This takes away the need for long ethernet cables.

So in my case it was installed to I can connect to my Tesla powerwall 2 to view live information.
But sadly it appears to cause interference with the charger.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Power line adapters basically turn the electrical wiring of a home into network cables for a computer network. This takes away the need for long ethernet cables.

So in my case it was installed to I can connect to my Tesla powerwall 2 to view live information.
But sadly it appears to cause interference with the charger.
I bought a net gear wi fi extender a few weeks ago with two antennas on it is this the same thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very similar but I believe WiFi extender repeats the signal where a powerline sends the signal over the electrical wireing directly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Powerline adapters, which convert the internet signals into high frequency radio signals and send them over your mains wiring, are a poor compromise technology and source of incipient trouble. Invariably, domestic mains wiring is not well 'balanced', so the radio frequency signals get radiated and cause interference to all kinds of radio reception. I'm a little surprised that car chargers are not filtering out the signals on incoming mains effectively -- but radio frequencies are devious things and maybe the signals are getting into the cable between car and charger by radiating from the house wiring -- and potentially affecting both. To further complicate things, whilst there are standards which these devices are supposed to conform to, there are undoubtedly numerous examples of dubious units imported directly from China, which may not adhere to frequency limits.
WiFi extenders, or 'repeaters', are a much better way of extending your wi-fi signal as they rely on picking it up and re-broadcasting it, hence the antennae.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Note that this doesn't just affect Ohme chargers. I couldn't get my MG to charge from three different cables and several charging points in the house, including three-pin sockets for the granny cable and two separate EV wall chargers. Once I removed my powerline adapters, everything was fine. My powerlines are Netgear and TP-Link, so I'm not sure if some are better than others for interference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The powerline adaptors make use of the earth to transmit signals so it may be that the chargers are not comofortable that the Earth connection is strong enough as there is interference on the line

1 - 10 of 10 Posts