Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the oil quality display in the Ampera actually works. Apparently there are two basic systems one measurement based and one algorithm based. The measurements system used on the stand alone oil tester appears to be resistivity based but other methods are possible. The algorithm system uses data like temperature and power output available to the ECU to calculate likely oil degradation. I did not know which GM went with.
In the USA there was a completely different culture of oilchanging every 3000 miles cheaply at drive through Bays. In Europe with our expensive service culture manufacturers have pushed the oil life to higher mileages as a selling point.
I drove a VW caddy diesel van for work once with main dealer support and took it in for several services before they changed the oil due to the oil life indicator still being good.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It's a two year timer, mine without fail has dropped to 0 every 2nd service. I do less than 20,000 a year so its serviced yearly to keep the Voltec warranty intact.
This year with covid lockdowns the ice has only run in maintance mode and my milage has plummeted but no change to the speed of the oil% change

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's a two year timer, mine without fail has dropped to 0 every 2nd service. I do less than 20,000 a year so its serviced yearly to keep the Voltec warranty intact.
This year with covid lockdowns the ice has only run in maintance mode and my milage has plummeted but no change to the speed of the oil% change
Mine is absolutely not simply a two year timer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts