Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know the gearbox oil type is it ep type or auto type and capacity on the 100kwh e golf thanks in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
there is no gearbox.. the transmition is directly. gear stick is only electronical...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
LiqiMoly,'s lube finder states that TOPTEC MTF 5300 70W-75W is the correct oil. It's in accordance with APIGL4. and VW G 052 171/527 as used in VW DSG gearboxes so should not be hard to find.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
LiqiMoly,'s lube finder states that TOPTEC MTF 5300 70W-75W is the correct oil. It's in accordance with APIGL4. and VW G 052 171/527 as used in VW DSG gearboxes so should not be hard to find.
Sound a lot like basic ATF fluid then ?.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a differential / reduction box which has gears in it which need lube.

OP, can we ask the reason for the question?
Only reason I ask is I would want to replace it as part of the service schedule also check the level is correct
as I assume there is a drain and fill plug like on any gearbox.
Having owned quite a few vag cars and done my own service on all of them over the years . this is my first EV though.. Also Thanks for the information though much appreciated..

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The e-golf maintenance schedule for oil change has the words FRONT AXLE DIFFERENTIAL LOCK FLUID IF FITTED

Does your e-golf have a front axle differential lock?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would also be good to know the fill and drain plug locations as well if anyone knows 👍 thanks in advance 😎

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All cars have 1 or 2 diffs
the lock part is the parking brake mechanism
I will be changing this oil every year regardless of the official schedule due
to the very low cost compared to transmission replacement cost if it fails .
Just ordered 2 litres for around £20
simply is a must do gears and bearings do wear out if I can slow this process as much as possible I will be.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
All cars have 1 or 2 diffs
the lock part is the parking brake mechanism
I will be changing this oil every year regardless of the official schedule due
to the very low cost compared to transmission replacement cost if it fails .
Just ordered 2 litres for around £20
simply is a must do gears and bearings do wear out if I can slow this process as much as possible I will be.
I suspect VW are talking about a diff lock (limited slip) otherwise there would not be a "IF FIITED" note.

Whats the basis for the proposed yearly oil change: no hypoid gears, no synchromesh wear debris, no brake bands or clutches. Lets consider downsides of yearly maintenance beyond waste of time and oil: possibility of introducing debris into gear casing, incorrect levels. The fresh oil every year will not necessarily delay bearing wear (or gear wear). This is not how rolling element bearings fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suspect VW are talking about a diff lock (limited slip) otherwise there would not be a "IF FIITED" note.

Whats the basis for the proposed yearly oil change: no hypoid gears, no synchromesh wear debris, no brake bands or clutches. Lets consider downsides of yearly maintenance beyond waste of time and oil: possibility of introducing debris into gear casing, incorrect levels. The fresh oil every year will not necessarily delay bearing wear (or gear wear). This is not how rolling element bearings fail.
Thanks for that however all I originally wanted to know was what oil is in there
if and when I decide to replace is irrelevant probably wont have the car long enough to warrant it as I rarely keep a car longer than 3 years anyway 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it probably is just interested in the quantity and quality more importantly the grade of the oil in there as I would exchange it for long life full synthetic oil as a matter of course regardless 👍

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
In all honesty I think you're wasting time and money doing that. The transmission will last 500,000 miles without oil changes no question. I've had the transmission oil changed on my 1995 Corrado because it had done 145,000 miles and was 20 years old, but the old oil came out looking just fine.. The EV with no synchromesh and a reduced number of bearings is even less likely to experience issues.

I get it, some people just want to do the best they can for their cars to protect their investment, but you're probably better off leaving the factory seals intact and letting it do its job.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
The diff lock is the thing fitted to the Golf GTi Propack cars (and others), it's a hydraulic clutch system that bolts onto the side of the diff and works in a very similar way to the hydraulic clutches in the DSG box to control the amount of resistance to slippage between the two wheels. That WOULD have a fluid replacement schedule recorded. The diff fluid itself is lifetime fit, there is no factory schedule for replacement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts