Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i'd post a real world example for those thinking of buying older Leafs - though note that this is based upon my Leaf 24 and may not be generalisable.

I've had this Leaf for about a year; it was previously owned by Perth council, who had several Leafs as pool cars. It's a 2012 plate, and i bought it with about 16000 miles (previous MOTs confirm the annual mileage). It's in superb condition, and seems like a new car. I've no doubt that some users would have been likely to drive it 'athletically' - pool cars always bring out the boy-racer in some...

The car has been mostly slow/fast charged (380 ?) and 70 rapid charges (i think i did about 20-30 of these...).

On Leafspy, the SoH is about 80% - varies a few percent over the year; i've not been systematic about measuring SoH at different charge levels.

Today, we did a run to a nearby beach (keeping well away from others, as per COVID advice - as it happens i know a lot about 'biological containment' and infectious agents...).

It was cold (around 5-10C), clear, and very little wind, route has some minor ups and downs - no major hills. It was on dual carriage way for about half of the total, rest on country roads. Two adults, two teenage kids, no luggage. Started with 100% charge, drove at an indicated 60mph on the dual carriageway, and 40-50mph on the rest - with 30 through villages etc. Always using ECO (except for a short blast of D, and full tilt to safely get past some cyclists). Little or no use of the heating/AC, and we parked and went for a walk in the middle for about 3 hours. The GOM read 78 miles at the start, and 18 when we got back (40 miles actual roundtrip), and there were three bars left (one above the red, two in the redzone). I put it on to charge, and it took 11.7Kw to get back to 100%.

In summer driving, on dual carriageway at 55mph, i've done 60 mile roundtrip (GOM said 99 miles, got back reading 9), one bar left.

Mostly, this car does about 14 miles a day - my wife's commute; her workplace has several chargers. She charges on the timer to 80% everyday, and uses the heater a lot (!).

For driving around the city and commuting, this car is very hard to beat. Downside is that longer trips need a rapid charger halfway (which we're quite blessed with), or a destination charger if it's 50-60 miles one way.

Other Leafs of this vintage may have better or worse batteries - need to check with Leafspy. I think mine is about average.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
One thing to note about the very first leafs is that they effectively have a hidden bar at zero.
The low the Low Battery Warning comes on at 4kWh remaining which is a fixed amount regardless of the SOH.
You might have a bit more range than you think.
If you can find a Leaf DD, then they're great, though I imagine they're a bit hard to find now.
Old example: Leaf DD and Leaf Charger 10amp 3 pin plug type for sale.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing to note about the very first leafs is that they effectively have a hidden bar at zero.
The low the Low Battery Warning comes on at 4kWh remaining which is a fixed amount regardless of the SOH.
You might have a bit more range than you think.
If you can find a Leaf DD, then they're great, though I imagine they're a bit hard to find now.
Old example: Leaf DD and Leaf Charger 10amp 3 pin plug type for sale.
Oooooh - i like the look of one of those. Thanks for the tip.

I had noted that there's what seems to be a big discrepancy between Leafspy and the bars/GoM when battery is 'low'. When i've a few bars left (3-4), Leafspy was reporting a lot more charge remaining (30-40% !). I also see this when connecting to a rapid charger - arrive with 'low' battery yet charger says it's 30% charged. Thus, i was wondering about doing some 'squeaky bum' testing - driving until i hit turtle... I've gone as far as low battery warning (and maybe very low battery warning - can't remember).

This is important to me, as there's a 115 mile journey that i'd like to do, with a rapid charger halfway. I've done it with three rapids when i first got the car - and was super range anxious.

Interestingly, no matter how i drive, or when rapid charging, i can't seem to heat up my battery beyond halfway. Yes, i'm in Scotland where it's not so warm - but even in summer the temperature gauge never seems to go up. Odd.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I found that the temp didn't go up much until you had done 2 or more rapid charges in close succession. When I did my London to Edinburgh trip I found that I could only get 4 rapid charges in the day before the temp went into the red and the charge rate was throttled.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found that the temp didn't go up much until you had done 2 or more rapid charges in close succession. When I did my London to Edinburgh trip I found that I could only get 4 rapid charges in the day before the temp went into the red and the charge rate was throttled.
I did the journey (115 miles) with three rapid charges, driving at 55mph and only stopping to charge (April, about 15C ?). I think it was one bar higher than 'normal' (4 bars lit) upon arrival. I suspect if i was going further distance between charges, it might have warmed the battery more ?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
For my Sunderland built 13 Reg Leaf, I was getting 5.8 to 6.3 miles per 10% SOC over the last few months, mainly 7.5 mile journeys with some longer trips included, 50-55ish (indicated) mph on single-carriageway A49, eco and B modes.

Last summer, I was getting 7+ miles per 10% SOC. LBW appears at about 20.5% SOC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought i'd post a real world example for those thinking of buying older Leafs - though note that this is based upon my Leaf 24 and may not be generalisable.

I've had this Leaf for about a year; it was previously owned by Perth council, who had several Leafs as pool cars. It's a 2012 plate, and i bought it with about 16000 miles (previous MOTs confirm the annual mileage). It's in superb condition, and seems like a new car. I've no doubt that some users would have been likely to drive it 'athletically' - pool cars always bring out the boy-racer in some...

The car has been mostly slow/fast charged (380 ?) and 70 rapid charges (i think i did about 20-30 of these...).

On Leafspy, the SoH is about 80% - varies a few percent over the year; i've not been systematic about measuring SoH at different charge levels.

Today, we did a run to a nearby beach (keeping well away from others, as per COVID advice - as it happens i know a lot about 'biological containment' and infectious agents...).

It was cold (around 5-10C), clear, and very little wind, route has some minor ups and downs - no major hills. It was on dual carriage way for about half of the total, rest on country roads. Two adults, two teenage kids, no luggage. Started with 100% charge, drove at an indicated 60mph on the dual carriageway, and 40-50mph on the rest - with 30 through villages etc. Always using ECO (except for a short blast of D, and full tilt to safely get past some cyclists). Little or no use of the heating/AC, and we parked and went for a walk in the middle for about 3 hours. The GOM read 78 miles at the start, and 18 when we got back (40 miles actual roundtrip), and there were three bars left (one above the red, two in the redzone). I put it on to charge, and it took 11.7Kw to get back to 100%.

In summer driving, on dual carriageway at 55mph, i've done 60 mile roundtrip (GOM said 99 miles, got back reading 9), one bar left.

Mostly, this car does about 14 miles a day - my wife's commute; her workplace has several chargers. She charges on the timer to 80% everyday, and uses the heater a lot (!).

For driving around the city and commuting, this car is very hard to beat. Downside is that longer trips need a rapid charger halfway (which we're quite blessed with), or a destination charger if it's 50-60 miles one way.

Other Leafs of this vintage may have better or worse batteries - need to check with Leafspy. I think mine is about average.
I'd like to make sure that i understand correctly; when i get low battery warning in a 1st gen, it means there's 4kw usable charge left. Since my battery is old and has lost roughly half it's capacity; 4kw is a significant proportion of the total. Based upon getting about 3 or 4 miles per kwh, that would mean i could expect to drive about 12-16 miles before hitting turtle.
Thus, i'd predict that i could/should manage 60 miles before really needing a charge. In this instance, that's about the distance between Edinburgh and Berwick upon Tweed, followed by about the same distance to Newcastle.

A squeaky bum-journey might be possible :)

(though with two rapids, one might be able to drive faster...!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts