Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for my lack of knowledge of electrical wizardry...

The Dept for Transport/OLEV are currently auditing a sample of installations that took advantage of the EVHS grant. They are using NICEIC, who (I think) are one of the trade body acreditors.

My installation was chosen - which I am happy about as I had a few questions about the installation at the time, which the installers have not got back to me about (mostly aesthetics, as I'm not hugely clued-up on electrics) - the guy that came out wasn't impressed. Here's a list of the issues:

1 - There should be an earth rod/spike in the ground;
2 - The new consumer unit they installed is 'wobbly';
3 - The screws on the front plate are threaded;
4 - There should be a 'gland' where the EV cable enters it;
5 - The circuit breakers aren't labelled;
6 - There are no stickers saying when the next inspection is due;
7 - There's no RCD test label;
8 - The RCD is an 'AC' one but should be an 'A' (6mAmp DC protection);
9 - The EV cable (from the consumer unit to the charger) is the same as the one with the plug on (from the Zappi charger to the car), so it's ok, but needs to have mechanical protection - either be armoured cable, or be protected another way (boxed in or run under the house) - especially improtant as the cable is 5inches off the ground - perfect kicking and football height!;
10 - That last point is especially true for the twin and earth cable used for an external plug socket we had installed at the same time (not covered by the grant);
11 - And finally, he said it looks a mess (the way it has been run around the house with the twin and earth for the external socket)!

I was surprised it was as bad as he says as I used a company called EcoPlugg, who's name I see all over the place at the moment and I think were on the approved installers list from Zappi...

I am trying to get hold of a copy of the report (not an easy task so far, but making progress!) and give them the chance to put it right.

My question is - is it safe?

Thanks in advance for any help...

·
Zoe Devotee
7,955 Posts
Cowboys. Get another firm it to fix the work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a pretty big list. I also got audited last week and mine came up clean, from what you've said though I'm glad they are auditing these.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Was the Zappi put in prior to the requirement for an Earth Spike? The new Zappis don't need one apparently. My charger was fitted by Chargemaster and I have no stickers about a next inspection?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Zappi was installed via my Octopus Energy switch - Ecoplugg sent one of their installers to do the job. It was installed in February which was after the regs changed. I actually raised the need for an earth Spike with Octopus and they said that their new upcoming charger wouldn't need one, but the one I was having installed would and that it may be a more expensive job and therefore more than the grant. I said to go ahead with it anyway and trusted the installers to do it correctly!

It doesn't help that I was there for the inside works, but had to head off for the afternoon to go to a funeral, so didn't see what they did - again, I assumed they had put everything in... I wouldn't know if an earth rod installed as I don't know how obvious it is... having spoken to a colleague who has had one put it, I don't think I could miss it!...

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Zappi was installed via my Octopus Energy switch - Ecoplugg sent one of their installers to do the job. It was installed in February which was after the regs changed. I actually raised the need for an earth Spike with Octopus and they said that their new upcoming charger wouldn't need one, but the one I was having installed would and that it may be a more expensive job and therefore more than the grant. I said to go ahead with it anyway and trusted the installers to do it correctly!

It doesn't help that I was there for the inside works, but had to head off for the afternoon to go to a funeral, so didn't see what they did - again, I assumed they had put everything in... I wouldn't know if an earth rod installed as I don't know how obvious it is... having spoken to a colleague who has had one put it, I don't think I could miss it!...
Is the inspection sticker a new regulation as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update in case anyone else is waiting with bated breath (and to be fair to the company should anybody find this post on a search in the future)!

Having spoken to the owner of EcoPlugg, he reviewed the photographs of the work and agreed it was not acceptable. He seemed genuinely concerned and explained that the person who installed it is not installing chargers for them anymore and that someone would call me to arrange rectification.

So yesterday, two fellas came out and sorted everything for me and even re-routed the cables under the house, created a new access hatch to the underfloor cavity and relocated the outside 3-pin sockets Ecoplugg had installed. they were clean, tidy and polite and i am very pleased with the end result.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,587 Posts
Quick update in case anyone else is waiting with bated breath (and to be fair to the company should anybody find this post on a search in the future)!

Having spoken to the owner of EcoPlugg, he reviewed the photographs of the work and agreed it was not acceptable. He seemed genuinely concerned and explained that the person who installed it is not installing chargers for them anymore and that someone would call me to arrange rectification.

So yesterday, two fellas came out and sorted everything for me and even re-routed the cables under the house, created a new access hatch to the underfloor cavity and relocated the outside 3-pin sockets Ecoplugg had installed. they were clean, tidy and polite and i am very pleased with the end result.

Nice to see a company taking their responsibilities seriously, does make you wonder how many dodgy installations there are out there that were done by people just hoovering up grants.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
He seemed genuinely concerned and explained that the person who installed it is not installing chargers for them anymore and that someone would call me to arrange rectification.
The old "he was doing a bad job so we fired him, and are really concerned about his work, but didn't bother to contact anyone to rectify his work until they had an external audit and complained".

If they were really bothered they would be sending someone to re-do every install that guy did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can appreciate the predicament here. From just getting quotes from installers in my area I am learning how inconsistent and varied works and required parts are.

I thought it would be straight forward to do but appears not. Glad they got it all sorted for you.

Would be interesting if they published a rating system for these install audits so the public can make informed decisions!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting - I also had my Zappi 2 installed by Ecoplugg (via Octopus) who I got the impression were well established and respected installers (rather than just the local electrician who'd done a course and fitted a couple in his time). However, when I subsequently had my solar panels installed, the PV installer was pretty scathing about the charging point installation - said it should have an earthing rod (though wasn't familiar with the Zappi 2 which doesn't, though some electricians seem to feel this exploits a loophole in the regs rather than conforming to the spirit of it and think this will be tightened up in the next edition), said the cable which runs around my house at about about 12" off the ground should be armoured, the cable clips have been fitted upside down so the cable isn't supported by the screw if the clip breaks, and if you look in the Henley block in the meter cupboard you can see exposed copper wire where the cable has either been stripped too much or not fully inserted.

I have to say the guy who installed the charger (who worked directly for Ecoplugg IIRC) really went out of his way to get the installation done, working through really crappy weather, but if he's not done stuff that is "what you learn in your very first lesson" then that's immaterial.

I'm going to raise this through Octopus in the first instance, as it was them who I paid the money for the installation to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is really interesting. I got 2 quotes off ecoplug spoke to a guy on the phone seemed very informed and main selling point was the quality of work over other competitors... He was recommending the zapi over others due to off peak charging although I can do it through the car. Quotes came in very odd...

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is really interesting. I got 2 quotes off ecoplug spoke to a guy on the phone seemed very informed and main selling point was the quality of work over other competitors... He was recommending the zapi over others due to off peak charging although I can do it through the car. Quotes came in very odd... View attachment 124999 View attachment 125000
That's interesting! a 7kW tethered PodPoint without any vehicle discounts is £359 supplied and fully fitted by PodPoint after the £500 OLEV grant is applied. (I paid £300 with the Hyundai discount).

The PodPoint engineer did a very tidy job, and everything was included in the price.

John.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yes, and why are the install fees higher on the zapi when it’s the same installation... I emailed asking why and got no response.
I expect it's because there's a tiny bit more work to do, setting up the current monitor ("harvi") and making sure it pairs up, to allow the Zappi to do its thing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the pod point price is inflated by £300, the cable / installation is probably inflated by about £200, by this simple ruse the subsidy farmer harvests the olev £500.
Get a price from a proper local NIC with no grant involved and you sourcing / supplying your choice of charger. . .
Bet you find that your outlay doesn't change much, but taxpayer doesn't get hit for £500 and the standard of the electrical work is probably better.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts